cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #91
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am like Sloan. Consistency.

For the record, I am not the one whining about things when the Lakers lost two in a row in Utah. Making excuses. Blaming refs, blaming the league. It is pretty ridiculous, actually.
No worries, DDD. I don't take your smack too seriously. And I hope nobody takes mine seriously.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #92
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I agree with Abbott. Okur flopped. The mere assertion that Gasol has the strength to move Okur like that is ridiculous.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #93
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I agree with Abbott. Okur flopped. The mere assertion that Gasol has the strength to move Okur like that is ridiculous.
Who in the NBA does not flop, using the definition that flopping is an exaggeration of a foul that occurs? Kobe does it all the time. So does Fisher, Gasol, Vujacic and Odom. And so does Boozer (you can hear the man screaming all game long), Williams, and Kirilenko. That is one definition of flopping.

There is also the Vlade Divacs/Manu Ginobili version of flopping where no contact occurs and you throw yourself around like you were smacked across the face. This is the one that REALLY irritates me.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #94
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Who in the NBA does not flop, using the definition that flopping is an exaggeration of a foul that occurs? Kobe does it all the time. So does Fisher, Gasol, Vujacic and Odom. And so does Boozer (you can hear the man screaming all game long), Williams, and Kirilenko. That is one definition of flopping.

There is also the Vlade Divacs/Manu Ginobili version of flopping where no contact occurs and you throw yourself around like you were smacked across the face. This is the one that REALLY irritates me.
Flopping is annoying. I wonder if some of these calls are subtle payback for players flopping.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #95
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
no shock there.
To be perfectly honest as a basketball official I am prone to defend the refs and provide justification for calls made. However, last night they seemed to call the game like they had a vested interest in the outcome.

It was very frustrating to watch. It's not so much that the calls were bad but that a number of crucial calls were made by an official out of position who could not have clearly seen the play and should not have been blowing his whistle.

There was also the issue of consistency or rather a lack thereof. When making blocking or charging calls it's paramount that an official is absolutely consistent in all situations, at both ends of the floor. Good officials will not make many blocking and charging calls and should prefer to swallow their whistle in acknowledgement that basketball is a physical sport.

Last night the refs were erratic -one moment physical play was a blocking or offensive foul, the next it was just physical play. Such is the NBA.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote