cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 06:13 AM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I actually went that night to the video store and they were out of it. I havent been back. Maybe that will be a good Sunday afternoon video to watch.
Edward Norton gives one of the best performances I've ever seen in the movie.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Edward Norton gives one of the best performances I've ever seen in the movie.
This is why I recommended it to junkie. I think it's Norton's best work.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #23
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

People here really thought Silva would lose? That's crazy, Marquardt didn't deserve a shot at the title, dude is subpar, seriously subpar. Silva is an insanely good striker, very good on the ground, and skill wise is as good as they come in the world. He will lose in the future, but I don't see him losing to a better fighter, but I see him losing to a one punch connection.

Nogueira is a beast and a short time ago was one of the best fighters in the world. I hope his wars in Pride do not affect his ability now in the UFC. I don't see anyone in the heavyweight division being able to handle his ability to strike and submit.

The Sherk fight was horrible. I told my friends, watch how lame Sherk is, and true to form Sherk did nothing except tackle and move around. Rogan wouldn't shut the hell up about how dominating a performance it was and it smacked of him trying to make something exciting that really wasn't.

UFC needs to adopt some Pride rules, no elbows to the face, yellow cards for stalling, standing people up when they are not striking, (Sherk kept improving his position but was not striking) docking pay for not submitting or knocking opponent out, some simple things that will make matches more exciting.

Evans should have beat Tito, again another wrestler Tito who did very little damage but took his opponent down a couple of times that won him two rounds. Tito was in serious trouble in Round 3 and had the fight thirty more seconds Tito may have lost.

UFC needs to do two things, to really become a household sport. They need to sponsor an Open Weight tourney, give a huge public purse and hold it over a 24 week period with the top 16 fighters in the world. Secondly they need to start a ranking system similar to boxing that also is public.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #24
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
People here really thought Silva would lose? That's crazy, Marquardt didn't deserve a shot at the title, dude is subpar, seriously subpar. Silva is an insanely good striker, very good on the ground, and skill wise is as good as they come in the world. He will lose in the future, but I don't see him losing to a better fighter, but I see him losing to a one punch connection.

Nogueira is a beast and a short time ago was one of the best fighters in the world. I hope his wars in Pride do not affect his ability now in the UFC. I don't see anyone in the heavyweight division being able to handle his ability to strike and submit.

The Sherk fight was horrible. I told my friends, watch how lame Sherk is, and true to form Sherk did nothing except tackle and move around. Rogan wouldn't shut the hell up about how dominating a performance it was and it smacked of him trying to make something exciting that really wasn't.

UFC needs to adopt some Pride rules, no elbows to the face, yellow cards for stalling, standing people up when they are not striking, (Sherk kept improving his position but was not striking) docking pay for not submitting or knocking opponent out, some simple things that will make matches more exciting.

Evans should have beat Tito, again another wrestler Tito who did very little damage but took his opponent down a couple of times that won him two rounds. Tito was in serious trouble in Round 3 and had the fight thirty more seconds Tito may have lost.

UFC needs to do two things, to really become a household sport. They need to sponsor an Open Weight tourney, give a huge public purse and hold it over a 24 week period with the top 16 fighters in the world. Secondly they need to start a ranking system similar to boxing that also is public.
You seem to forget a few things:

1. UFC would love an openweight tourney but they would not be able to get sanctioned anywhere, they are trying to play by the rules to keep it mainstream much like boxing. A fighter just last week who was 220lbs was trying to fight heavyweight in K-1 and he couldnt get approved in Nevada or California because all the other fighters were at least 250.

2. You must not have watched the Noguera fight very closely, he was not dominant at all, and Heath Herring is not even a top 20 heavyweight. As a matter of fact he was done after that kick to the head, and Herring was to stupid to jump on him and finish him, then the start of the next round Noguera was still rocked and wobbling and Herring did not throw a single punch for the first minute letting Noguera regain his composure.

3. Why would you want to eliminate elbows to the face? This is a very powerful weapon and if you want to see people finish fights then you are contradicting yourself by wanting those removed. Kenny Florian finished his fight last night with some brutal elbows.

4. Although it was ugly Tito still clearly beat Rashad, yeah the last 30 seconds in a moment of desperation Rashad did get mount on Tito and landed some good shots. But i guess once again you werent paying close attention because at the end of round 2 Tito had a guillotine in very deep the fight was over, and Rashad was saved by the bell. I think a draw was the right call in this fight because Rashad did steal that last round, and Tito should have lost a point. However if Tito doesnt hold on to the fence he clearly wins this fight.

5. I agree that Sherk had plenty of chances to put away Franca and didnt, he was passing his guard at will and had full mount several times, yet he never tried to finish him. With that being said he is as dominant on the ground as anyone in UFC. Hermes Franca is one of the best in the world at BJJ and Sherk dominated him to no end. Yes, at times it was not very exciting but all the purists thought it was fun to watch Sherks wrestling background. I would love for BJ Penn to stay at 155 and fight Sherk for the title.

6. I can tell just by all of your past posts that you think Pride is way better than UFC, but i dont believe that, i think the top fighters in UFC are as good as the top fighters in pride. Look at Cro-cop as a prime example of that. I guess we will find out when Chuck and Wanderlei fight in September, as well as Rampage and Henderson. Also with Shogun coming over he will be tested early as well.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:38 AM   #25
cougjunkie

just announced:

Sean Sherk vs BJ penn in November.
Rich Franklin vs. Anderson Silva in October
Chuck Lidell vs Wanderlei Silva in September
Crocop vs Noguera in November
Chuck vs Rampage/Henderson winner in December

Some huge fights coming up.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:02 AM   #26
fusnik11

Elbows to the face cause cuts, cutting stops fights and puts fighters on the shelf for extended periods of time. Elbows are not necessary to finish opponents and I struggle with the idea that wrestlers get rewarded by way of tackles and elbows, it ruins MMA. It's why MMA didn't explode when Randleman and Coleman and Kerr were dominating the sport.

Your comments about Nogueira are laughable, seriously laughable. Save one kick he dominated the stand up and was constantly moving on the ground. Herring is a quality fighter and almost beat Fedor.

I didn't say Evans beat Tito, I said he should have beat Tito. Tito was gassed in the second and Evans didn't let his hands loose, I was very disappointed with that fight.

The Sherk fight sucked nuts, bad, salty nuts.

Pride is better than the UFC. Top to bottom the talent was better in Pride. Barnett, Fedor, Nogueira, Cro Cop (can't judge him on his one fight) Fedor's brother, all better or equal fighters than Sylvia or Randy at the heavyweight division.

Shogun, Silva of two years ago, Rampage, Henderson, Sokudjou, Arona, all better fighters than anyone at the LH division save Liddell, and Liddell couldn't hang in Japan.

Gomi, Diaz, Sakurai, all great fighters that can fight at 170 with the best in UFC.

Anderson Silva was a fighter who fought in Pride and was beat before coming to UFC, and as we know, nobody at 185 can hang with the dude.

The UFC does have better fighters I think from 155-170, but the Pride fighters can hang.

The open weight tourney is simple, fight outside of the US.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:04 AM   #27
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
just announced:

Sean Sherk vs BJ penn in November.
Rich Franklin vs. Anderson Silva in October
Chuck Lidell vs Wanderlei Silva in September
Crocop vs Noguera in November
Chuck vs Rampage/Henderson winner in December

Some huge fights coming up.
Where you getting the info for the last three fights? Silva isn't signed yet and recently stated on his website that he was going to take a year off.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #28
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Where you getting the info for the last three fights? Silva isn't signed yet and recently stated on his website that he was going to take a year off.
www.ufcjunkie.com

It was in Dana Whites press conference.