cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #11
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Havent the Warriors won a championship? Have the Jazz?
This kind of smack sucks. I'm a strong believer in scoreboard and "what has your team done for you lately?" As far as I'm concerned, BYU's 1984 championship is meaningless and I'll never bring it up when trying to show how BYU is a better team than Utah or whoever.

I do love NorCal running his mouth off. Makes it all the better when the Jazz are again proven to be the better team.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
This kind of smack sucks. I'm a strong believer in scoreboard and "what has your team done for you lately?" As far as I'm concerned, BYU's 1984 championship is meaningless and I'll never bring it up when trying to show how BYU is a better team than Utah or whoever.
I didn't realize there is a statute of limitations for meaningful championships.

There isn't of course. It all depends on the context of what the argument is. Of course a championship from 30 years ago is irrelevant when debating who is the better team now, or over the last 10 years. If arguing about entire histories of programs or teams, then all championships count.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

I do love NorCal running his mouth off. Makes it all the better when the Jazz are again proven to be the better team.
Well, in terms of scoreboard, the Jazz have zero championships and this season has yet to begin. Or do you only go far enough back to where it suits your argument?

Championships are the measure of better teams. Even if they are old championships.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #14
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
I didn't realize there is a statute of limitations for meaningful championships.

There isn't of course. It all depends on the context of what the argument is. Of course a championship from 30 years ago is irrelevant when debating who is the better team now, or over the last 10 years. If arguing about entire histories of programs or teams, then all championships count.
Okay, so Notre Dame has a better history than South Florida, but today, Notre Dame sucks and South Florida could beat them.

As a fan, I don't understand others taking solace in a crappy team by retreating to the past. Man up and face the present.

Quote:
Well, in terms of scoreboard, the Jazz have zero championships and this season has yet to begin. Or do you only go far enough back to where it suits your argument?

Championships are the measure of better teams. Even if they are old championships.
Scoreboard as in, last time our two teams met, my team smacked yours down. It's handy in comparing the relative awesomeness of two teams.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #15
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Okay, so Notre Dame has a better history than South Florida, but today, Notre Dame sucks and South Florida could beat them.

As a fan, I don't understand others taking solace in a crappy team by retreating to the past. Man up and face the present.

Scoreboard as in, last time our two teams met, my team smacked yours down. It's handy in comparing the relative awesomeness of two teams.
Whoa! I am not a Warriors fan. I have never claimed to be. I just dont get why any fan of a team that has never won a championship would be talking trash about anything at all.

It would kind of be like fans of South Florida talking trash to The Seminoles or the Hurricans or the Gators. What for? Because of one game last season?

This is the mentality that leads to hanging Division Championship banners in the rafters.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

Quote:
So like I said, how far back in the past do you go? Far enough to support your argument? But not far enough to where the other team's accomplishments outshine your own?

Last season, aka the past, is what you are referring to. This season hasnt even started yet. How can you already determine the relative awesomeness?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #17
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Whoa! I am not a Warriors fan. I have never claimed to be. I just dont get why any fan of a team that has never won a championship would be talking trash about anything at all.

It would kind of be like fans of South Florida talking trash to The Seminoles or the Hurricans or the Gators. What for? Because of one game last season?

This is the mentality that leads to hanging Division Championship banners in the rafters.
I didn't mean "you" as in "TripletDaddy," it was a hypothetical.

And if you don't believe you can vocally pronounce BYU as a better team than Utah after BYU beats the Utes on the field, that's weird.
Quote:
So like I said, how far back in the past do you go? Far enough to support your argument? But not far enough to where the other team's accomplishments outshine your own?

Last season, aka the past, is what you are referring to. This season hasnt even started yet. How can you already determine the relative awesomeness?
I go back to the last time the two teams played each other. In 2002, Utah beat BYU. I wasn't crowing about how BYU was a better team because they'd creamed Utah in the 1980's. As it stood, Utah was the better team.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

Quote:
And if you don't believe you can vocally pronounce BYU as a better team than Utah after BYU beats the Utes on the field, that's weird.
Sure you can, but only that same season. What is the point of doing it this season? Judging our current team vs the current Ute team off the fact that BYU beat Utah last season seems strange to me but maybe there is a good reason for doing it.

Also, The U, having won no championships, should not be talking trash to, say, Nebraska, which has won multiple.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The day the NBA starts inviting less than half of the entire league and teams with losing records to the playoffs is the day I start caring about individual regular season games, particularly the opening day game.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #20
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The day the NBA starts inviting less than half of the entire league and teams with losing records to the playoffs is the day I start caring about individual regular season games, particularly the opening day game.
When did they start a league called the NBA? I can't even tell you who won last season. Was it the Spurs or an eastern team?