cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

This article seems to imply that Stern is more upset with the City of Seattle and Washington legislature at its unwillingness to compromise.......as opposed to being upset at the Okie owner's unwillingness.

In fact, Stern seems to have no direct comments about the owner's behavior.

Maybe I am misunderstanding?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7423058

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:28 PM   #32
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This article seems to imply that Stern is more upset with the City of Seattle and Washington legislature at its unwillingness to compromise.......as opposed to being upset at the Okie owner's unwillingness.

In fact, Stern seems to have no direct comments about the owner's behavior.

Maybe I am misunderstanding?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7423058
That sounds correct. He said as much last year when he visited the state legislature. But remember who pays his salary.

There is no question the City of Seattle has been a difficult negotiating partner with Sonics ownership – past and present. Seattle has some moronic politicians.

On an aside, I think there are politicians now working behind the scenes to try and save the team – the governor being one.

But to me this is the crux of the issue, at this point… “Seattle deputy mayor Tim Ceis said "Mr. Stern ought to take some of his own advice and quit lobbing these things over the fence at us in press conferences ... and engage with us on ways to keep the team in Seattle."

They won't even listen to new deals on the table, but are only set on a single demand - $450m. A good example of this behavior is at Bennett's first press conference, when he first prchased the team; he came out and said the Key is no longer an option for the team. Period. Not that they are willing to sit down with the City and see if they can work on the deal, etc. But they shut the door on it (and the city) from the onset, in a press conference. What does Bennett expect in return?

Here is a good recap…

http://www.saveoursonics.org/
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #33
8ballrollin

"Mr Bennett, how many arenas do you need?

A year ago we had a trio of major developers saying that he would love to be involved in building an events center in Bellevue. You gave them the cold shoulder.

Then we have the Renton Events Center proposal you threw together at the last minute and took to the State. The State said they needed more time to work on fine tuning the proposal before this upcoming legislative session but you refuse to communicate with them.

David Sabey brought a proposal to you for a privately funded arena just south of Boeing Field yet you couldn't be bothered to respond.

Last monday the Muckleshoot Indian Tribe said it is willing to donate land next to the Emerald Downs horse racing track in Auburn to build an arena for the teams. The tribe released a study from a national arena-planning firm that said the Auburn site is close enough to the Sonics' fan base to work.

And now we find that the City of Seattle is open to new options but all you can think about is finding a way to break the Key Arena Use Agreement that you clearly understood when you purchased the team. Maybe we are not as smart as an Okie Businessman but common sense would say to anyone that if you don't like the deal you are getting don't buy the business! If you are not prepared to honor your contracts, or be a man of your word, then maybe you need to start talking about selling to a local owner. "

http://www.saveoursonics.org/
Old 11-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #34
TripletDaddy

informative. thanks.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 AM   #35
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Because who is doing to care about the small-market Oklahoma team? Where are the TV eyeballs going to come from?

Imagine if all the NBA teams were offered better arena deals, but every deal placed them in a market smaller than 35th largest.

Would that be smart?
You don't need local TV eyeballs as much. Yes, you have a local contract, but if they are further east, that greatly benefits the NBA, ESPN, TNT and wherever else you find national games. You want to see more, competitive teams with games not at 1030 PM EDT starts. The big money is going to come from the revenue share so do your part to build that up.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:14 AM   #36
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I like this part of the ESPN article posted today:

"'To have the speaker of the house say, "Well, they just spend too much money on salaries anyway, so we need it for other things,"' Stern said, casts aspersions on the whole league's operations."

LOL. What an irrational thing for the speaker of the house to say about the NBA!

I used to have courtside season tickets. My firm has two sets of four that I use from time to time. Right now, I don't care if they leave and the NBA never comes back.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:10 AM   #37
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I like this part of the ESPN article posted today:

"'To have the speaker of the house say, "Well, they just spend too much money on salaries anyway, so we need it for other things,"' Stern said, casts aspersions on the whole league's operations."

LOL. What an irrational thing for the speaker of the house to say about the NBA!

I used to have courtside season tickets. My firm has two sets of four that I use from time to time. Right now, I don't care if they leave and the NBA never comes back.
Bill Joel played at Key Arena last night. David Stern said today that if Seattle and the State of WA don’t pay for 90% of the production costs, Billy won't be coming back to Seattle any time in the foreseeable future.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #38
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Bill Joel played at Key Arena last night. David Stern said today that if Seattle and the State of WA don’t pay for 90% of the production costs, Billy won't be coming back to Seattle any time in the foreseeable future.
The real loss would be if that mini amusement park ever left the area by Key Arena. I can deal with the loss of the Sonics, but if Seattle ever lost that one flying saucer kiddie coaster, I dont know why anyone would ever return to that city....