cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #21
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
If you ever want your kids to get a fair shake in most sports, you have to step up and coach, or at least help coach. It's the reason I've been coaching little league baseball and football for 8 years. I can also say that most guys that coach really don't want to hear any bitching from parents that do nothing but sit on the sideline all year (not saying that's what you do). Offer to help with the team, make sure the coach knows that you're watching what's going on, and he'll get your kid in the game.
This would've been my suggestion as well. Good call, Runner.

Getting involved in some way and showing the coach you're not the enemy is usually the best way to ease that sometimes uncomfortable coach-parent friction.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I say this from a coach's perspective, so don't take this personally, because I tell this to all the parents of the kids that I've coached over the years:

"If you can't or are not willing to take the time to coach, please keep your comments to yourself. I take time out of my schedule to coach your kids, so my decisions are final."

Now, know that I do make sure the kids at a younger age get equal playing time, because the point at that age (8 or so) is to learn how to play the sport the right way. It's more about learning the game and having fun. As they get older, I play the kids who are better more than the others because winning has more emphasis then.

Another thing to consider is once you cross that "asshole parent" line, you'll be mentally marked as an asshole by all the coaches and they'll do everything in their power to not have your kid(s) on the team.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:44 AM   #23
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
We signed the boys up for the local community youth basketball program, not competitive leagues, just let’s have fun type of stuff. Neither are great basketball players for their ages, but they are competent and can contribute. After the dearth of such opportunities overseas, I wanted them to experience the real game and competition.

It looks like the 12-year-old got lucky. He’s an okay shooter inside 10 feet but not a good ball handler nor does he really see the court all that well. He is still adjusting to the speed and aggressiveness of the game. Fortunately he is one of the taller boys (early growth) and has some really good ball handlers/distributors on his team. These kids could dominate the play, but more than often opt to pass to the open man. My kid plays mostly under the basket and given the tendency for 12-year-olds to surge away from the basket on defense, he is often wide open for short shots or lay-ins and the ball handlers pass to him. Very nice and quite unexpected. My son tells me yesterday one of the better boys told him at school that he’s “got game”, which has to be one of the supreme compliments one 12-year-old can give another one. Add to this that the coach is very conscious about making sure every boy plays as equal an amount of time as possible, and I don’t think this could be working out any better.

The situation for my 8-year-old looks like it may be much different. Again, he’s not the greatest talent, but well within the average for what’s out there. His first game was last night and we (his parents) didn’t come home very happy. In essence, there is a great disparity in playing time, with two boys that pretty much dominate play only coming out the last four minutes of a 36 minute game (I swear, the one kid must have gone 1 for 50). My kid, at most, saw the court for 14 minutes and wasn’t the only one short changed. I can understand the difficulties of trying to make sure every kids gets an equal chance to play, but the disparity was so wide, it was extremely frustrating. Sure it’s the first game and it’s not a pattern yet, but I feel compelled to say something to the coach, strictly in terms of playing time. I’m not that concerned about style of play (he could encourage more passing), just about time on the court. What do you all think?
My suggestion is for you is to get some white overalls and grow your hair out. Then have some photos taken of you standing on a cliff somewhere.

as for this situation just ask the coach what you can work on with your son so he can play more. If that doesn't work be an asshole. $140 is way too much to pay to have your kid ride the pine at 8 years old
Old 12-13-2007, 02:50 AM   #24
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
My suggestion is for you is to get some white overalls and grow your hair out. Then have some photos taken of you standing on a cliff somewhere.

as for this situation just ask the coach what you can work on with your son so he can play more. If that doesn't work be an asshole. $140 is way too much to pay to have your kid ride the pine at 8 years old
I don't care what your brothers say, you're a funny guy.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:12 AM   #25
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

myboynoah, I don't think you should change who you are just because your kids play rec league hoops.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:22 AM   #26
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
myboynoah, I don't think you should change who you are just because your kids play rec league hoops.
So Rocky can substitute Noah for his favorite term of endearment?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:23 AM   #27
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Not Noah, but Noah's dad.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #28
myboynoah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Quote:
Not Noah, but Noah's dad.
Yeah, well the jerk store called and said that it's all out of both of you.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #29
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Yeah, well the jerk store called and said that it's all out of both of you.
Arch and I are in high demand around the holidays. Assholes, in the figurative sense, are wanted by nobody.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #30
myboynoah

Quote:
Arch and I are in high demand around the holidays. Assholes, in the figurative sense, are wanted by nobody.
I defer to your obvious expertise and considerable experience.