cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road
Default Hey cougjunkie..Penn or Sherk?

Who're you taking?
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
Who're you taking?

First of all BJ absolutely dominated Joe Stevenson. I think that BJ beats Sean Sherk, If...............he is in as good of shape as he was for the Stevenson fight. The big knock on him is that he is never in good enough of shape, he beats Matt Hughes, and GSP if he is in good shape. Sherk is a workout warrior and he will go balls to the wall for all 5 rounds if he needs too. I think BJ will be ready. The Prodigy is so fun to watch its amazing that he can put his leg behind his head without touching it. One thing about Sherk is that he doesnt finish fights he is a lay and pray guy and if you give BJ to many opportunities eventually you are going to get beat.

I am actually going to try and watch this fight live in Vegas. Rashad Evans and Thiago Alves are also on the card. It is rumord to be in May.

Last edited by cougjunkie; 01-22-2008 at 08:10 PM.
cougjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
SipiTau

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
First of all BJ absolutely dominated Joe Stevenson. I think that BJ beats Sean Sherk, If...............he is in as good of shape as he was for the Stevenson fight. The big knock on him is that he is never in good enough of shape, he beats Matt Hughes, and GSP if he is in good shape. Sherk is a workout warrior and he will go balls to the wall for all 5 rounds if he needs too. I think BJ will be ready. The Prodigy is so fun to watch its amazing that he can put his leg behind his head without touching it. One thing about Sherk is that he doesnt finish fights he is a lay and pray guy and if you give BJ to many opportunities eventually you are going to get beat.
I hope BJ has turned the corner with this cardio, if he has, he can finally live up to his nick name. To me, Sherk is just about the most boring MMA guy out there; lay and pray is such a good description of his style.

Lots of good fights coming up....2008 should be a good year for MMA fans!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
cougjunkie

Quote:
I hope BJ has turned the corner with this cardio, if he has, he can finally live up to his nick name. To me, Sherk is just about the most boring MMA guy out there; lay and pray is such a good description of his style.

Lots of good fights coming up....2008 should be a good year for MMA fans!
I agree 2008 is going to be great. I loved when Kenny Florian called Sherk out and said that he deserved a title shot because he actually finished fights. Another boring fighter is Tim Sylvia.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
SipiTau

Quote:
I agree 2008 is going to be great. I loved when Kenny Florian called Sherk out and said that he deserved a title shot because he actually finished fights. Another boring fighter is Tim Sylvia.
I'm with you on that one, Sylvia is terrible. You might incude Arlovski as well; I think someone neutered AA, I don't know what happened to the guy....oh yeah, throw in Koscheck too.

Anytime Sylvia fights, I usually take it upon myself to take over the grilling duties.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
cougjunkie

Quote:
I'm with you on that one, Sylvia is terrible. You might incude Arlovski as well; I think someone neutered AA, I don't know what happened to the guy....oh yeah, throw in Koscheck too.

Anytime Sylvia fights, I usually take it upon myself to take over the grilling duties.
Arlovski used to be so fun to watch and I dont think he has ever recovered after his last loss to Sylvia. Me and a buddy were just talking Saturday about AAs next fight against Jake O'brien. Dana White has said a few times that Arlovskis last few fights have been boring. Well the UFC just scheduled him to fight O'brien who is notorious for having boring fights. I think they are setting AA up to have another horrible showing and to have a good reason not to re-sign him.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

does anyone know what Michael Jordan shot in the last tournament he was in? Did he break par?

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
SipiTau

Quote:
Arlovski used to be so fun to watch and I dont think he has ever recovered after his last loss to Sylvia. Me and a buddy were just talking Saturday about AAs next fight against Jake O'brien. Dana White has said a few times that Arlovskis last few fights have been boring. Well the UFC just scheduled him to fight O'brien who is notorious for having boring fights. I think they are setting AA up to have another horrible showing and to have a good reason not to re-sign him.
Yeah...they're getting ready to kick AA to the curb; it's too bad, because he was such a terror.

I'm hoping Big Nog, Mir and Lesner can inject some interest in the heavyweight division; i think this is the weakest division in the UFC.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 AM   #9
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Yeah...they're getting ready to kick AA to the curb; it's too bad, because he was such a terror.

I'm hoping Big Nog, Mir and Lesner can inject some interest in the heavyweight division; i think this is the weakest division in the UFC.
Agreed. The Heavyweight division sucks. It's too bad that the Pride guys have sucked in the Octagon also. I was hoping CroCop would show much better. Maybe Fedor can save the division if he ever comes over.

I think Penn kills Sherk if the same Penn that came out against Stevenson shows up. I hate Sherk. All muscle and he doesn't know what to do with it.

I've been watching a lot of the WEC. It's free on Versus and those lighter divisions have some mean dudes there. Mike you'd like it.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:36 AM   #10
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Agreed. The Heavyweight division sucks. It's too bad that the Pride guys have sucked in the Octagon also. I was hoping CroCop would show much better. Maybe Fedor can save the division if he ever comes over.

I think Penn kills Sherk if the same Penn that came out against Stevenson shows up. I hate Sherk. All muscle and he doesn't know what to do with it.

I've been watching a lot of the WEC. It's free on Versus and those lighter divisions have some mean dudes there. Mike you'd like it.
I would love to see a Urijah Faber vs BJ Penn fight. Faber is unbelievable at 145. I dont think think BJ could drop down to 145, Faber would have to bulk up a little.