cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

There's nothing more than heresay from a very shaky witness and a very old conversation which may or may not have been misheard/misunderstood from 8 or 9 years ago. There is no physical evidence.

I'm not saying Clemens is clean. I'm saying that there should be a higher burden of "proof" for this to have been included in the Mitchell Report.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Neither have appeared credible today and both come across like liars.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
There's nothing more than heresay from a very shaky witness and a very old conversation which may or may not have been misheard/misunderstood from 8 or 9 years ago. There is no physical evidence.

I'm not saying Clemens is clean. I'm saying that there should be a higher burden of "proof" for this to have been included in the Mitchell Report.
It is not hearsay for McNamee to testify about what he said or did. There is some physical evidence (the abscess stuff) and maybe the gauze, etc. (has it been tested yet?).
Old 02-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Neither have appeared credible today and both come across like liars.
I concur.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
It is not hearsay for McNamee to testify about what he said or did. There is some physical evidence (the abscess stuff) and maybe the gauze, etc. (has it been tested yet?).
Well, let's forego the legal definition of what heresay is or isn't. It's a he-said/he-said case and nothing more. McNamee's batting average with truth has him hitting in the 8 spot right now; which isn't what you want to build your case on.

Pettite's has a recollection of a very old conversation, which he may or may not have understood Clemens correctly. Regardless, he is not a first hand witness of any drug administration. So it remains a he-said/he-said case.

I've heard nothing today that has solidified either side's case. It's just a jumbled mess.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #16
creekster

Man, I can see why these guys aren't practicing lawyers. Their cross-x technique is horrible. This Davis clown begins by asking about the Tampa trip. Mcnamee says he isn't sure if it was Tampa, and Davis says he doesn't really care about the Tampa angle and then proceeds to base his whole line of questioning on the fact that the abscess could not have been caused by an injection in Tampa due to the timing of the team's trip there. Whatever.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #17
Indy Coug

Mitchell Report associate is rightfully getting blasted for not seeking out any number of other witnesses to verify the details of Clemens' attendance at the Canseco BBQ. The threshold of "proof" for inclusion in the Mitchell Report was simply too low.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've heard nothing today that has solidified either side's case. It's just a jumbled mess.
Which, I've said in another thread, is what this whole Mitchell Report may become after all of this. It's too bad really, because I think for the most part the people that got named are guilty.

I still think Pettite's testimony is at least slightly damaging. The chance of Pettite getting confused about which Clemens, man or wife, was actually taking the HGH seem pretty slim. I think most of us would remember the man considered one of the greatest pitchers of all time telling us he was using HGH.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #19
creekster

Quote:
Mitchell Report associate is rightfully getting blasted for not seeking out any number of other witnesses to verify the details of Clemens' attendance at the Canseco BBQ. The threshold of "proof" for inclusion in the Mitchell Report was simply too low.

Not really true. The guy was not allowed to explain why it was written as it was. The report doe snot realy on the luncheon meeting for anything terribly material.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Not really true. The guy was not allowed to explain why it was written as it was. The report doe snot realy on the luncheon meeting for anything terribly material.
At the very least, it calls into question the level of thoroughness in which this investigation was conducted.