cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default The Crimson Crowd

As we were walking into the MC tonight I was surprised at how few Ute fans I saw. We usually get a huge group of them, scattered in bunches all through the arena; and they are usually loud and obnoxious. Which of course makes the game a lot more fun. But they were few and far between tonight. There was only one group sitting together, just above portal M. We ended up sitting next to them and we looked forward to being entertained by the typical chants and smack. But we were sorely disappointed. Even though it was a close game, they never seemed to get too excited. And the best they could come up with was a weak "DUI...DUI..." chant every time Plaisted went to the line. After the game, some sad-looking fan in red was holding up a poster that read (I am not making this up) "Hey LD people, stop judging us". Whoa. Dude.

Those poor Ute fans seem completely emasculated. It was actually pretty sad.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
"Hey LD people, stop judging us". Whoa. Dude.

Those poor Ute fans seem completely emasculated. It was actually pretty sad.
That's what happens when you have Vanna White teaching you how to spell.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

There were more UNLV fans at the game last Saturday.

I feel bad for Boylen. He's trying really hard and their "fans" simply don't give a crap.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
There were more UNLV fans at the game last Saturday.

I feel bad for Boylen. He's trying really hard and their "fans" simply don't give a crap.
No Rocky, the Ute fans are there. It's the zoots that don't give a crap.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
No Rocky, the Ute fans are there. It's the zoots that don't give a crap.
There weren't very many Ute fans there then. Hell...there were more when Giacoletti was the coach last year.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:51 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
There weren't very many Ute fans there then. Hell...there were more when Giacoletti was the coach last year.
Were there more Y fans tonight than at last year's game? If so, could that have been a reason for fewer Ute fans tonight?

I'm just trying to get you to admit that your characterization of Ute fans isn't what you say it is. I think you know it, but just can't bring yourself to admit it.

I didn't go to the game because of my sons' basketball practices which ended by 6:30. Not enough time to get there, even if there were tickets available (which I last heard were).

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:55 AM   #7
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Were there more Y fans tonight than at last year's game? If so, could that have been a reason for fewer Ute fans tonight?

I'm just trying to get you to admit that your characterization of Ute fans isn't what you say it is. I think you know it, but just can't bring yourself to admit it.

I didn't go to the game because of my sons' basketball practices which ended by 6:30. Not enough time to get there, even if there were tickets available (which I last heard were).
What characterization is it do you think that I'm making? I'll submit that it being a Wed night might've had something to do with it.

If the practice ended by 6:30 you could've made it by the 8 pm tipoff with ease. Heck I live 5 minutes away from you and it took 40 minutes to get to the arena.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:02 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
What characterization is it do you think that I'm making? I'll submit that it being a Wed night might've had something to do with it.

If the practice ended by 6:30 you could've made it by the 8 pm tipoff with ease. Heck I live 5 minutes away from you and it took 40 minutes to get to the arena.
That there are only yewt "fans". Is that not a characterization?

No, I couldn't have made it to the game on time. With kids and a wife, travel time is always longer. I would have liked to go to the game, but I sometimes hate myself for setting my priorities straight, ya know?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #9
RockyBalboa

Quote:
That there are only yewt "fans". Is that not a characterization?

No, I couldn't have made it to the game on time. With kids and a wife, travel time is always longer. I would have liked to go to the game, but I sometimes hate myself for setting my priorities straight, ya know?
Where did I say there are only Yewt "fans"? You're certainly not one of them. You're a real Ute fan.

I simply said that I think it's a shame that with as hard as Boylen is working that he isn't getting more support and mentioned that even during Giac's last game in Provo he had more fans there.

Don't you think it's weird that UNLV had more fans in the Marriott Center than Utah did? I mean even the Wed/Sat thing can't explain that one away.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:12 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Where did I say there are only Yewt "fans"? You're certainly not one of them. You're a real Ute fan.

I simply said that I think it's a shame that with as hard as Boylen is working that he isn't getting more support and mentioned that even during Giac's last game in Provo he had more fans there.

Don't you think it's weird that UNLV had more fans in the Marriott Center than Utah did? I mean even the Wed/Sat thing can't explain that one away.
Fair enough. I'm tired and reading too much into your posts. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ) I failed to mention that the Ute fans I'm talking about are those who show up in the Huntsman Center. So few fans at a game in Provo is odd, I agree, but more annoying is that there are so many empty seats in the Huntsman Center. That's where Boylen and his team deserve more support.

I've always maintained that there really is a large Ute fan base - for several reasons, one being there are a lot more BYU fans in this state. That's how it is and I'm ok with it.