cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
You can have a guy that is invisible as long as there is not the potential for a serious liability out there with him. If Burgess is shooting well it is ok that Murdock is a liability. If he is not shooting well, it hurts. I see how well Murdock looks dependent on if Burgess is liability Sam or Sam that is shooting well.
That makes sense. The biggest problem there is that Burgess isn't good enough or consistent enough to pick up the slack.

IMO, if BYU is going to do anything in the NCAAs, Fredette will need to give BYU at least 25 minutes of similar basketball to the last couple games.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
nor do I and their lack of any ability to do anything positive on the court is going to bite them in the NCAA's.

My kindergartener son was drawing a book for school the other day and he was drawing BYU's starting lineup and a picture of what they do will. He drew Plaisted shooting a hook shot, Tavernari shooting a jumper and Cummard dunking.

I couldn't think of how to tell him to draw a picture of Murdock not turning the ball over. Seriously, when any BYU fan talks about what Murdock brings to the team, they can't think of anything he does well, it is always - "well he doesn't turn it over". Maybe it's just me, but if a guy isn't making plays, color me unimpressed that he just doesn't turn it over.
Right...because it's SO much better to have a flashy player who turns the ball over, but scores an extra 5 points a game.

How about drawing a guy dribbling the ball, and passing it off in an exceptionally effective transition offense? Or a very effective Motion O?
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
He is steady, but it would not surprise me if in crunch time in the NCAA game Fredette is on the court. Murdock will continue to start but by then I can see Jimmer playing almost half the game at PG.
Fredette certainly has more upside as a PG than Murdock. He brings dribble penetration to the table, something Murdock is certainly sub-par at. He also brings a much better shot to the table. The problem is, he's going to turn the ball over too often for my tastes this year.

Still, with this particular team, you don't NEED a PG who scores. You've got your top 3 scorers, who are going to give you 15+ each a night. You only need another 20 points from everyone else combined to win most nights. I'd MUCH rather the PG be a guy that can get the ball to the shooters an extra 3-4 times a game than a guy who can score, but we lose that many shots per game due to turnovers.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
this conference is sad if our top team is doubting it can win a first round game where they will most likely be the higher seed.
Since the inception of the MWC conference there has been 4 total teams favored in its first round matchup - by seeding. That was Utah in 2000 and 2005. UNLV and BYU in last year. 3 teams were favored by the oddsmakers in Utah 2000 and 2005 and UNLV last year. By my math that means the MWC gets one team every 3 years to be favored by the oddsmakers going into its first round game.

Saying that it would not surprise me if BYU gets favored this year and that would make it 4 in 9 years with 2 back to back. This is not a great hoops conference and it is never going to be, but statistically it is getting better.

If the Lobos recruiting class shows up and UNLV can hold onto some of its recruits, the MWC is poised, IMO, to potentially surpass the Valley as the top non-BCS conference. Next year the MWC could have 2 legit top 25 teams in BYU and UNLV, and 2 more potential top 40 teams in Utah and UNM. SDSU might be a top 50 squad as well. AF will probably be in the top 70. WYO, CSU and TCU will be out of the top 100 and hurt the conference RPI.

Next year it would not surprise me if the conference wins 3 NCAA games.

This conference is really improving.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not convinced that Murdock - Burgess - Jimmer is a backcourt that can put up a W in the Dance.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
That makes sense. The biggest problem there is that Burgess isn't good enough or consistent enough to pick up the slack.

IMO, if BYU is going to do anything in the NCAAs, Fredette will need to give BYU at least 25 minutes of similar basketball to the last couple games.
Jimmer will. He is beginning to find his groove at this level.

I am thinking positive. I told myself after the UNLV game I wouldn't, but as soon as BYU beat Utah in SLC I predicted this 9 game win streak and knew I would get sucked in.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not convinced that Murdock - Burgess - Jimmer is a backcourt that can put up a W in the Dance.
You will be convinced you stringpulling girly man. That is all I got to say about that...in this post at least
Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Watching Murdock and Burgess put the ball on the floor and enter the 3 point line and paint is most often comical. Murdock realizes he has no game inside the 3 point line (and outside as well), w hereas Burgess thinks he does, despite his 10% finishing percentage.

How hard is to put the ball on the floor, crossover at the free throw line, and shoot a 12 foot jumper?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #19
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Watching Murdock and Burgess put the ball on the floor and enter the 3 point line and paint is most often comical. Murdock realizes he has no game inside the 3 point line (and outside as well), w hereas Burgess thinks he does, despite his 10% finishing percentage.

How hard is to put the ball on the floor, crossover at the free throw line, and shoot a 12 foot jumper?
I often cringe when Burgess starts to drive. Rarely does it result in something good.

Murdock, however, when he drives, frequently is able to pass out for an open look. It's unfortunate it only happens a few times a game.

I would definitely be happier with an increase in athleticism at PG...a better ability to drive & finish. But given the scarcity of that at BYU, I'm happy with Murdock's contribution this year.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Right...because it's SO much better to have a flashy player who turns the ball over, but scores an extra 5 points a game.

How about drawing a guy dribbling the ball, and passing it off in an exceptionally effective transition offense? Or a very effective Motion O?
It's not about scoring points. It's about making plays for teammates. Making the game easier for them. Getting into the paint. Putting pressure on the defense. You know, be a point guard. He does none of that.

If he can do those things and his turnovers increase to 2.5 instead of 1.5, I can live with that.

I'm sorry, I have a hard time praising a guy whose only "contribution" is not making mistakes. Jarron Collins doesn't make mistakes - he also doesn't do anything else of value, therefore he sucks. Murdock is no different.

That said, it's fun to watch a group of fans continue to give a guy who shouldn't even be playing Division 1 basketball a pass just because he doesn't screw up a lot and he's all "we" have. The lack of a point guard is going to be the cause of another first round exit for a very good BYU team.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote