cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2008, 12:34 AM   #41
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Blame Chuck Daly for what the NBA has become today. Go back and look at the Lakers and Celtics of the early 80' or my favorite team the 1977 Portland Tail Blazers. People cutting to the basket, all five players involved in the offence, it really was a thing of beauty. Today it is all about the defence and the way it is played and called is ruining the game.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 AM   #42
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I've gotta say, I enjoyed making fun of Hornacek's name. And that's coming from a guy who's last name bears striking similarity to a female reproductive organ.
Your last name is Bagina?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 03-25-2008 at 02:35 AM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:21 AM   #43
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
One thing I observed from last night's Laker game.....the Warriors do NOT play defense. The Lakers were playing sans Gasol and Bynum, fell down by 26, and still had the lead with a couple minutes to play.

They will not last in the playoffs. But it will be fun to watch them lose.
One thing I observed from last night's Warriors game...the Warriors WON. That's all that matters.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:28 AM   #44
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
It isn't fundamentally sound because they have no clue how to play defense. They have no ability to play help defense. They have no ability to guard period. Defense is all about position and they don't have a clue where to be on the floor.

On offense it is nothing more than garbage isolation basketball and nothing else. They go down the floor decide which guy to isolate and that is all that they do. No team work and they only passes are when the player gets stuck and hucks the ball to a teammate hoping that they don't turn it over.

It is flash without an ounce of substance. It is bad basketball but the Warriors will keep giggling those keys in front of NorCal and he will keep on clapping.
You are so full of it, it's hilarious. Your hatred for the Warriors is blinding you. They can play defense when they want to. To say they have no clue, or no ability, is just complete nonsense.

On offense, I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Do you even ever watch their games? The do not just isolate.

If it's street ball, garbage ball, or whatever BS name you want to call it, then why do the Warriors lead the league in scoring, points in the paint, causing turnovers, and I believe points off turnovers.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 AM   #45
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

They can play defense when they want to... Why would they ever NOT want to? That's bull crap and you know it.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:57 AM   #46
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
You are so full of it, it's hilarious. Your hatred for the Warriors is blinding you. They can play defense when they want to. To say they have no clue, or no ability, is just complete nonsense.

On offense, I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Do you even ever watch their games? The do not just isolate.

If it's street ball, garbage ball, or whatever BS name you want to call it, then why do the Warriors lead the league in scoring, points in the paint, causing turnovers, and I believe points off turnovers.
If they can play defense when they want too, why don't they play defense? It makes no sense for a team to just think, hey I don't want to play defense.

Golden State is dead last in the league in points allowed per game at 108.0. Their point differential is not all that good either at 2.9 ppg, for 12th in the league. So the shitty defense is not all just the product of pace. If they placed at a fast pace and still played defense you would see a bigger point differential.

Golden State is 22nd in the league in opponents FG%
Golden State is 20th in the league in opponents 3 point FG%
Golden State is 22nd in the league in defensive efficiency

A few offensive stats
17th in the league in Assist ratio (giving support to the isolation basketball that doesn't run an offensive theory)
I'm sure you think they are first in the league in offensive efficiency, but you are wrong they are only 4th. You would think since they don't know a thing about defense, that they would at least be first in offensive efficiency.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #47
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The Warriors are 0-12 the game after NorCal comes on CG to tout their previous victory.

Clockwork.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #48
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
One thing I observed from last night's Warriors game...the Warriors WON. That's all that matters.
Funny, I observed the same thing last night.

After 8 straight quarters against this team, here is the reality: the Warriors lost once after giving up a 15+ point lead one night and a 20+ point lead the night before against a team that isnt even playing with 2 of its star starters. If what you say is true, then the Warriors just didn't want to play defense either night, I guess.

I can see the allure of watching these guys play....they are always throwing up quick shots, they shoot a ton of 3s, they are always busting out a new retro uniform every few games, and pull up for quick 20 foot shots even when they have a 3 on 1 fastbreak. And since they are dead last in the NBA in points allowed, it allows the other team to score a lot, as well.....so if that is exciting to you, then no wonder the Warriors are your team.

I find it more exciting when a team has a legitimate shot at winning a title over the course of four 7-game post-season matchups. The Warriors clearly have no shot at doing that, but they will likely win a few games in the first round by scoring 130 points and giving up 118.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #49
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Don Nelson, Warriors Coach: Tonight is yet another night when we have no need to play any defense. We can play it when we want to and tonight is not the night. So, shoot threes, do crazy stuff, I don't care, but whatever you do, don't play defense. We just don't want to.

Good one NorCal...seriously, are you this dense or do you just think its charming to spout off nonsense like this? Play defense when they want to...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #50
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Don Nelson, Warriors Coach: Tonight is yet another night when we have no need to play any defense. We can play it when we want to and tonight is not the night. So, shoot threes, do crazy stuff, I don't care, but whatever you do, don't play defense. We just don't want to.

Good one NorCal...seriously, are you this dense or do you just think its charming to spout off nonsense like this? Play defense when they want to...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha.
Here is the genius of the philosophy. See if the Warriors don't play defense that means the other team will shoot earlier in the shot clock. If the other team shoots earlier in the shot clock, that means the Warriors get the ball sooner to go and shoot again. See by not playing defense the Warriors ensure that the game is always one of the dizzytdiziyizyizyizyizdizzydizamn games where the team scores over 100 points.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote