cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2008, 03:53 AM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
To hell with Las Vegas. With apologies to Archaea and anyone else who may live there, but I hate that city more than any city in the country.

If there has to be a conference tournament, it should be on the floor of the regular season. Otherwise, why bother to play the season?

I predict BYU gets hosed in the championship game against UNLV.
The Conference Tourney is awesome. The regular season champ gets a likely berth in the Big Dance while the conference tourney gives every team one last chance to redeem themselves. It's in the most exciting city in America, the only place where fans from every team will plan on attending regardless of their teams' chances. It's three straight days of basketball. What's not to like?

If BYU gets hosed, it's because the referees are anti-Mormon, not because the game is at the T&M.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #12
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default So it would be a home court

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Both Purdue and Indiana are within an hour and a half from Indy. Columbus is about three hours away. The rest of the conference is over five hour away. It can be argued that holding a tourney in Indy gives the two Indiana teams an unfair advantage.
advantage for BYU to play at the Delta Center..........same advantage of playing in the Marriott Center?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:58 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The Conference Tourney is awesome. The regular season champ gets a likely berth in the Big Dance while the conference tourney gives every team one last chance to redeem themselves. It's in the most exciting city in America, the only place where fans from every team will plan on attending regardless of their teams' chances. It's three straight days of basketball. What's not to like?

If BYU gets hosed, it's because the referees are anti-Mormon, not because the game is at the T&M.
What's not to like?

It's Vegas. The slimiest city on the planet.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #14
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Give the ref some love........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
You couldn't breathe on Wink Adams without the refs bumjugging him.

That last play was so pre-meditated it wasn't even funny. I turned to my brother and said...."You watch....Wink will drive...he won't get touched, he'll make the shot and the refs will bail out them with a foul call."

Bingo.
he's a local hero in Las Vegas tonight. He probably loves the recognition he's getting.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #15
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
What's not to like?

It's Vegas. The slimiest city on the planet.
I had no idea you had such a problem with a city that exists only so people can have fun.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:41 AM   #16
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Does anything ever happen to refs who make obviously horrible calls that decide games?

Or do league (pro or college) officials just brush it off with comments about "game speed" and how difficult it is to referee?

What ever happened after Lonnie Dixon's cowardly move in the 2004 BYU-New Mexico game?

I ask because from everything I've heard and read, the USC/Arizona St. game had a horrendous call in the final seconds as well.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:54 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

I'm not sure about other leagues, but in the MWC, incompetent officials in any sport have job security.

They must be union.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:00 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I had no idea you had such a problem with a city that exists only so people can have fun.
I've always hated Vegas. There has never been anything there that has remotely interested me at all.

The only reason I would ever go there would be to visit Archaea and I could get in and out of there without to see him without having to go near the city limits.

If others like it, more power to them. But for me, giving UNLV an unfair home court advantage to get to the NCAA Tournament every damn year is just one more reason for me to hate the hell out of that city.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #19
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no problems with the tournament being held in Vegas. With all the Mormons in Las Vegas, it's not much of a neutral court for BYU. If we end up playing UNLV in the finals, I'm guessing there will be just as many BYU fans there as UNLV fans.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

They would advertise for the MWC tournament in Denver literally 4 or 5 months in advance and still nobody came.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote