cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sports trash talk

What is acceptable when it comes to trash talk?

Every game BYU plays Mormonism is always used as a weapon against us. This inevitably includes misrepresentation and a couple of bible thumping fans lecturing Mormons on what we really believe. It seems most BYU fans don't mind the harmless jokes mocking the peculiarities of our faith and culture, but when the talk veers toward contempt is when we get annoyed. This happens every game we play, whether it's UCLA, UNLV, Oregon, San Diego State, Colorado State, Wyoming or Texas A&M. Utah may be the exception because alot of their fans are LDS.

I've also seen smack talk directed toward Notre Dame naturally focusing on pedophile priests. Is this out of bounds? Numerous innocent lives were destroyed by these predators, but few bat an eye when it's used as a weapon.

Now Texas A&M fans are upset because some here have mocked the bonfire incident. This was a sad event and I feel horrible for the families involved. I don't think it should be used as smack. That said, I have no problem with the silly traditions of TAMU being mocked. Those dorks act like yell practice is a sacrament.

Anyways, where do you draw the line? Is it okay to mock sacred beliefs? Death? Pedophilia?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a tough call in some ways.

Because sometimes the only way to really show someone how much they are hurting people is to ask them how they would like if someone mocked something that they held sacred?

The Texags thing goes far beyond mocking and joking. It is literally hatred. And that's what angers me. But the slightest suggestion that all is not well at A&M, and the moderator steps in.

We're probably better off not going to any of our rivals' sites, as it will only piss us off.

I used to be a fan of A&M, but Texags beat it out of me, chewed me up, and spit me out.

I should ignore them.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:40 AM   #3
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
What is acceptable when it comes to trash talk?

Every game BYU plays Mormonism is always used as a weapon against us. This inevitably includes misrepresentation and a couple of bible thumping fans lecturing Mormons on what we really believe. It seems most BYU fans don't mind the harmless jokes mocking the peculiarities of our faith and culture, but when the talk veers toward contempt is when we get annoyed. This happens every game we play, whether it's UCLA, UNLV, Oregon, San Diego State, Colorado State, Wyoming or Texas A&M. Utah may be the exception because alot of their fans are LDS.

I've also seen smack talk directed toward Notre Dame naturally focusing on pedophile priests. Is this out of bounds? Numerous innocent lives were destroyed by these predators, but few bat an eye when it's used as a weapon.

Now Texas A&M fans are upset because some here have mocked the bonfire incident. This was a sad event and I feel horrible for the families involved. I don't think it should be used as smack. That said, I have no problem with the silly traditions of TAMU being mocked. Those dorks act like yell practice is a sacrament.

Anyways, where do you draw the line? Is it okay to mock sacred beliefs? Death? Pedophilia?
good post, it isn't funny those people died but they shouldn't trash someone's religion.

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I think we should follow the decency standards of Trey Parker and Matt Stone (South Park). If it's too over-the-top for them, then we should avoid it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are those idiots that protest outside of Temple Sq. Of course one guys idiot is another guys sincere believer trying to bring people to Christ.

Once Huck started doing his thing, I saw some pretty good attacks on another religion on our own boards. I even admit, I participated. It is not lost on me that many a war has been fought over religion.

Given that, it doesn't shock me their are some vicious people who show up on internet sports boards. In all my reading of other boards I have come to conclude those folks are the minority on the board.

I don't doubt that people get a little tired of the mormons are morally superior to others perception. When I hear that comment, often I ask. Where did you get that idea. Have your dealings with mormons on a personal basis led you to believe that. 90% of the time the answer is well, the mormons I know aren't like that, but your church is. Huh?

I do somewhat understand though. 90% of the grads from BYU I know personally and I dare say 90% of the people associated with BYU I know personally I don't consider as people who are moral elitist. Yet, my perception of BYU is one of moral elitism.

I don't care for elitism in any form. For those that get the same vibe from BYU, I understand their dislike of the school. BYU fits perfectly for their belief of how mormons are. Moral elitists looking down on everyone else.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

BYU71, tamu is one of the few schools that consider themselves to actually be morally elite and to have their own superior moral code, better than any other school.

I kid you not.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
BYU71, tamu is one of the few schools that consider themselves to actually be morally elite and to have their own superior moral code, better than any other school.

I kid you not.
Interesting. Is it tied to a religion. It is hard for me to understand how a University could claim moral superiority unless they were a religiously based University or perhaps dominated by a liberally elitist philosophy.

There are a lot of, we are better than you claims. Educationally, financially, intellectually, socially, etc. I don't consider those "morally" elitist claims.

They are bothersome on another scale though. That is why I am not a fan of Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, etc.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Interesting. Is it tied to a religion. It is hard for me to understand how a University could claim moral superiority unless they were a religiously based University or perhaps dominated by a liberally elitist philosophy.

There are a lot of, we are better than you claims. Educationally, financially, intellectually, socially, etc. I don't consider those "morally" elitist claims.

They are bothersome on another scale though. That is why I am not a fan of Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, etc.
tamu students believe that there is a special code that "aggies" live by, that other people tend to not live by, that makes them superior to most other schools (if not all schools).

for example, they frequently claimed that they were the only school to never boo their own team. unfortunately that came to an end recently and they can't claim that.

when a tamu student does something bad, he has violated the aggie code, and is not a "true aggie".

because aggies are morally superior, this explains their frustration in playing second fiddle to the university of Texas. They feel that they are the eternal "sleeping giant" of college sports, ready to rise up and take their rightful place at the top anytime now.

It's very interesting.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I don't care for elitism in any form.
Hey, how is that L2 Cougar Club membership working out?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
TexasAg

TexasAg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
tamu students believe that there is a special code that "aggies" live by, that other people tend to not live by, that makes them superior to most other schools (if not all schools).

for example, they frequently claimed that they were the only school to never boo their own team. unfortunately that came to an end recently and they can't claim that.

when a tamu student does something bad, he has violated the aggie code, and is not a "true aggie".

because aggies are morally superior, this explains their frustration in playing second fiddle to the university of Texas. They feel that they are the eternal "sleeping giant" of college sports, ready to rise up and take their rightful place at the top anytime now.

It's very interesting.
We do have a code that we are proud of, however we do not say we are better b/c other schools don't have the same. And yes we consider ourselves more conservative and moral than the liberal hippies at Godless University of Texas. We don't play second fiddle to them, academics are very similar and in athletics we are actually starting to pass them (to elaborate we finished with more conf titles than UT last year and we currently are leading the Lone Star Showdown, meaning we have beaten them more than they have beaten us this season.)

They make fun of our traditions even though they have copied 4 of ours and have some traditions of their own geared toward A&M.

And they've racked up a huge lead in the football series thanks to the first 90 years of A&M's existence(until 1967) when it was a corps-mandatory military school and had more important things to worry about than football. During the WWs A&M was sending 50% of it's cadets to the military, and even when there was not a war do you realize how hard it is to recruit good players when they HAVE to be in the corps. Why do you think The Citadel is never any good? A&M was basically very similar to The Citadel until 1967. Funny how much closer the series with UT is once A&M became the public university that everyone knows today.

Last edited by TexasAg; 03-19-2008 at 04:38 PM.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote