cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg View Post
We do have a code that we are proud of, however we do not say we are better b/c other schools don't have the same. And yes we consider ourselves more conservative and moral than the liberal hippies at Godless University of Texas. We don't play second fiddle to them, academics are very similar and in athletics we are actually starting to pass them (to elaborate we finished with more conf titles than UT last year and we currently are leading the Lone Star Showdown, meaning we have beaten them more than they have beaten us this season.)

They make fun of our traditions even though they have copied 4 of ours and have some traditions of their own geared toward A&M.

And they've racked up a huge lead in the football series thanks to the first 90 years of A&M's existence(until 1967) when it was a corps-mandatory military school and had more important things to worry about than football. During the WWs A&M was sending 50% of it's cadets to the military, and even when there was not a war do you realize how hard it is to recruit good players when they HAVE to be in the corps. Why do you think The Citadel is never any good? A&M was basically very similar to The Citadel until 1967. Funny how much closer the series with UT is once A&M became the public university that everyone knows today.
I have only seen the belief that you are close to UT academically from Aggies. Most outsiders consider UT and Rice the top tier from Texas.

So I am genuinely surprised you represent that academically the two are equivalent. For example, UT law school is universally considered one of the best law schools in the country, but I honestly am unaware if TAM has a law school. I can say the same for MBA, but I do believe you have a decent med school.

This is not to say, due to the oil money in Houston, TAM is considered deficient, but that it generally not considered on par with UT by outsiders.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Hey, how is that L2 Cougar Club membership working out?
It sucks. I think Level 4 or 5 is where the really big shots are. No way will I borrow money to get to that level unless the schedule gets better.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #13
TexasAg

TexasAg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So I am genuinely surprised you represent that academically the two are equivalent. For example, UT law school is universally considered one of the best law schools in the country, but I honestly am unaware if TAM has a law school. I can say the same for MBA, but I do believe you have a decent med school.
I didn't say A&M was identicial academically with UT, I did said they were similar. They couldn't be identical anyway b/c their focuses are not the same across the board. A&M has some engineering programs that are better than UT's, but UT has a better business program. I agree that UT law is one of the best there is, and A&M has one of the best Veterinary Schools.

Quote:
This is not to say, due to the oil money in Houston, TAM is considered deficient, but that it generally not considered on par with UT by outsiders.
If you say so. They are widely considered the 2 flagship universities in Texas. They are both Tier 1 academic universities, they are the 2 largest universities in the Big 12 and are both among the top 10 largest universities in the nation.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I didn't say A&M was identicial academically with UT, I did said they were similar. They couldn't be identical anyway b/c their focuses are not the same across the board. A&M has some engineering programs that are better than UT's, but UT has a better business program. I agree that UT law is one of the best there is, and A&M has one of the best Veterinary Schools.

If you say so. They are widely considered the 2 flagship universities in Texas. They are both Tier 1 academic universities, they are the 2 largest universities in the Big 12 and are both among the top 10 largest universities in the nation.
In some aspects of civil and chemical engineering, I have seen UT to be a worldwide leader, so even this statement is somewhat a surprise. I would have to let the physicians speak on which has a better medical school.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
TexasAg

The engineering programs at A&M that are better are Petroleum, Agricultural and Mechanical.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #16
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

If the newest username "Josephsmithisafag" is acceptable trash talk, then so is my new username on texags "crushingcoeds".
Old 03-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
In some aspects of civil and chemical engineering, I have seen UT to be a worldwide leader, so even this statement is somewhat a surprise. I would have to let the physicians speak on which has a better medical school.
A&M is not as good as Texas academically, but it is a good school. The main problem with A&M is that it is full of aggies.

But this is a school that produced Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen, so it can't be all bad.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #18
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
A&M is not as good as Texas academically, but it is a good school. The main problem with A&M is that it is full of aggies.
If you say so. And tu is full of liberal hippie queer tsippers.

Quote:
But this is a school that produced Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen, so it can't be all bad.
and tu has produced Roger 'I didn't use steroids and lie about it' Clemens.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #19
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you say so. And tu is full of liberal hippie queer tsippers.

and tu has produced Roger 'I didn't use steroids and lie about it' Clemens.

Come on, little brother. I was offering an olive branch.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #20
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The engineering programs at A&M that are better are Petroleum, Agricultural and Mechanical.
Aaah, program smack. What's next - Sears Cup points?

Seriously, though, A&M is the nation's leader in nautical archaeology.
http://nautarch.tamu.edu/

It's a pretty sweet program that I'd love to work with someday.

My big problem with this entire debate wasn't the mud-slinging. That's expected in the anonymous internet world of free speech. People say stupid and ignorant things. We should let them say them, but jump all over ignorant or hate-driven speech. Ridicule and verbal excorciation are the key - not censorship.

I think it's ridiculous MW was banned on one message board for what he posted on a different one. I've heard of stuff like that happening before, but it usually involved the Middle East and an Ayatollah.

Then, A&M posters claim that (1) it is a highly trafficked site but (2) it's not representative of the university. What, then, is? If so many tens of thousands of A&M fans are passing through, with nary a word to counteract religious hate-statements, let alone any outright bans, what conclusions are there to be drawn? Clearly, there's a double standard at play, and those condescending asses who told MW to grow a thicker skin need to recognize the amazing thinness of their own. There really is no defense for these actions.

I personally don't give a rat's ass about either aTm or the BYU. Actually, I'm kind of grateful to aTm for breaking Brett Elliott's hand in 2003, ushering in the glorious age of Alex Smith. But if Nemesis decides to visit aTm's basketball team on Thursday as punishment for the behavior of these particular Texags posters, I'm all for it.