cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #31
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I wonder if start a Cal shrine next to my Brooks shrine would expedite this. To do this, I would need to find another place for the pics of my wife and kids, but I'm willing to make sacrifices. I'd even make Old Testament sacrifices as well.

Would grilling tri-tips be considered burnt offerings even if they aren't burnt?
Whatever it takes, Il Pad. Who were you a fan of first, your wife or Brooks Robinson? That's what I thought. Priorities, man.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #32
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
Whatever it takes, Il Pad. Who were you a fan of first, your wife or Brooks Robinson? That's what I thought. Priorities, man.
Excellent point. Brooks has been my idol since 1972. My wife came into the picture 17 years later.

If it was up to me, the first thing I'd do is bring back the correct cap. The smilin' Oriole is the only true Baltimore cap on the face of the earth.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #33
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I am a big Dodgers fan. But I am an even bigger A's fan. I was very conflicted in '88.

I am anxious to see how well Torre does. Even more anxious about Beane and the pitching staff after being forced to deal away another ace. Man if the A's had Yankee money....

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:44 AM   #34
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Proud to be a Braves fan since those 90-loss seasons, too. When it was on all summer on TBS, you had no choice but to love 'em. I was more of an Ozzie Virgil guy over Bruce Benedict, though, and my Starting Lineup figurine is still at my mom's house.

Also, here's something I found late last season but never got around to posting. The Riot Pages are a UC Berkeley alternative to the magic number that takes into account the true remaining schedule, not just the number of games remaining. It's pretty cool, even if it won't be useful for a few months.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:08 AM   #35
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Baseball? Are they still playing that?

You gotta be freaking kidding me. We are in the middle of March Madness, and a great NBA Western playoff push, and you are pissing your pants over baseball starting?!
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #36
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post

You gotta be freaking kidding me. We are in the middle of March Madness, and a great NBA Western playoff push, and you are pissing your pants over baseball starting?!
You obviously don't have the mental capacity to understand why we're looking forward to it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #37
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a Nationals fan, and they've got a new ball park opening up, so there is some excitement around here. Plus, we aquired Lastings Millage and the guy who threw a bat at an umpire, so that is exciting. It's hard to get too worked up about baseball when you're in the same division as the Mets, Phils, Marlins and Braves. Still, it's not a bad way to spend some spring/summer afternoons...going to the ball park.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #38
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You obviously don't have the mental capacity to understand why we're looking forward to it.
No, it's the exact opposite.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #39
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post

In 2 weeks, March Madness will be over.

In 6 weeks, the Warriors season will be over.

Now would be a good time to start looking into baseball.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #40
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I've been following the Braves since the days of Rick Mahler, Bruce Benedict, Bob Horner, and (of course) Dale Murphy. I lived 3 hours from Atlanta while growing up, so I'm anything but a bandwagoner. I watched every day during the summer, even while they were losing 90 and 100 games a year.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the season, but I'm tired of being disappointed at playoff time.
I've never lived anywhere close. My dad watched them (probably due to the Murph) for as long back as I can remember, and I picked them up from him. Inherited fandom is legit, IMO.

I'm pretty excited about the season. Hampton will be hurt in the first game he pitches. I'm wondering what the Vegas line is for which part of his body he hurts. I'd take his groin for a buck.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote