cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #11
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I suppose my main complaint here is that I feel like Ginobili is stealing the award from someone who could benefit from the recognition it would give them.

Ginobili is widely-recognized as an elite player. On any other team he'd start in a heartbeat.
But looking at past winners they have all stolen the award based on what you think, because Ginobili is doing more in the same amount of minutes as the past winners he should be penalized?

With Ginobili out of the picture who should win it?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #12
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
But looking at past winners they have all stolen the award based on what you think, because Ginobili is doing more in the same amount of minutes as the past winners he should be penalized?

Matt Harpring or Kael Korver!!!!!!
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
TheSizzle36

Quote:
I dont think they have qualifications, but if they do have them, minutes played should not be included. Maybe starts should be, because when Bobby Jackson won his he had over 40 starts. You have to put even more stock in to Ginobilis numbers because he is playing 20 minutes a game with the Spurs second unit. No Parker or Duncan.
There are qualifications, one of them has to do with number of starts a player makes. I think it is something like they must not start at least half of a teams games, or something like that, though I don't know exactly what it is.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
TheSizzle36

Quote:
I suppose my main complaint here is that I feel like Ginobili is stealing the award from someone who could benefit from the recognition it would give them.

Ginobili is widely-recognized as an elite player. On any other team he'd start in a heartbeat.
Ginobili is good enough to start on the Spurs. He did too for how many years? Two? Junkie?

But they like the punch he can bring off of the bench, and the scoring pop that he brings to the second unit. Thus, he is a 6th man, and the damned best 6th man in the NBA, hands down.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #15
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not stalking you. other people are.
Other people who are too cowardly to admit to such.

I suppose it's difficult to admit you stalk other men on the internet.

Quote:

None of the other players on your list have even BEEN to an NBA Finals. None of the other players on your list will be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame, as Ginobili probably will be.

I'd go with a Kleiza or Farmar, to be honest. They're relative unknowns who are truly bench players that made a big difference for their teams at times during the season.

Quote:
Ginobili is good enough to start on the Spurs. He did too for how many years? Two? Junkie?
I didn't mean he isn't good enough to start for the Spurs, I just mean no other team would have him come off the bench for them and play starter's minutes.

Popovich's strategy with him seems unique.

Last edited by JohnnyLingo; 04-15-2008 at 09:04 PM.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
cougjunkie

Quote:
Other people who are too cowardly to admit to such.

I suppose it's difficult to admit you stalk other men on the internet.

None of the other players on your list have even BEEN to an NBA Finals. None of the other players on your list will be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame, as Ginobili probably will be.

I'd go with a Kleiza or Farmar, to be honest. They're relative unknowns who are truly bench players that made a big difference for their teams at times during the season.

I didn't mean he isn't good enough to start for the Spurs, I just mean no other team would have him come off the bench for them and play starter's minutes.

Chicago used the same strategy with Ben Gordon and Phoenix uses it with Barbosa, Utah even uses it with Harpring. In the NBA you need good players with your second unit. Why do you think when AK or Brewer go down, CJ starts instead of Harpring? They need his punch off the bench.

Also Farmars and Kleizas numbers are as follows:

Farmar
9.7 points and 2.7 assists in 20 minutes

Kleiza
11.1 points and 4 rebounds in 23 minutes

Nice numbers but if you dont want Manu then a guy like Jason Terry or Leandro Barbosa should win, not Kleiza or Farmar.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #17
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Chicago used the same strategy with Ben Gordon and Phoenix uses it with Barbosa, Utah even uses it with Harpring. In the NBA you need good players with your second unit. Why do you think when AK or Brewer go down, CJ starts instead of Harpring? They need his punch off the bench.
Harp isn't good enough to start.

Quote:
Also Farmars and Kleizas numbers are as follows:

Farmar
9.7 points and 2.7 assists in 20 minutes

Kleiza
11.1 points and 4 rebounds in 23 minutes
Not starter's numbers, for sure, but then again... this isn't an award for starters.

Quote:
Nice numbers but if you dont want Manu then a guy like Jason Terry or Leandro Barbosa should win, not Kleiza or Farmar.
Terry is a starter. I guess Barbosa could deserve it, but getting it two years in a row doesn't work for me.

Again, I think I have some personal criteria for the award that doesn't really exist. That's the problem with the MVP award. The qualifications are unclear, so everyone creates their own and no two person's are alike.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
cougjunkie

Quote:
Harp isn't good enough to start.

Not starter's numbers, for sure, but then again... this isn't an award for starters.

Terry is a starter. I guess Barbosa could deserve it, but getting it two years in a row doesn't work for me.

Again, I think I have some personal criteria for the award that doesn't really exist. That's the problem with the MVP award. The qualifications are unclear, so everyone creates their own and no two person's are alike.
Jason Terry only has 34 starts this season, he has been brought off the bench the majority of the year except when people were injured. Avery Johnson is using him in the same capacity as Ginobili.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 PM   #19
TheSizzle36

Quote:

Well, the Spurs also have the luxury of having a guy like Michael Finley who can start for them at the 2 and Bowen at the 3. Note every team has that. And honestly, I wish the Jazz would do the same with AK as I think he would enjoy that type of move.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Harp isn't good enough to start..
In the NBA, it's not about who starts, but who finishes the game. IMO, it would be better to comment on who isn't good enough to finish the game, as it's almost always the 5 best players on the floor at that time.

In Harpring's case, he could start, but Sloan uses him in a different role. Being on the floor at the end of the game is another matter.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote