cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #31
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
You have obviously not watched the Spurs-Suns series very closely. The Spurs have been nothing short of phenomenal, except for game 4. Game 3 was the best I have ever seen a team play in a playoff game, ever. It will be the best you see any team play this whole post season. They beat the Suns last night with Ginobili going 2-11 and only scoring 8 points. When the big 3 are rolling they will are tough to beat.

Look at the matchups in round 2, Paul and Parker will neutralize each other, CHandler will do a good job on Duncan, but who guards Manu?

Western Conference Finals Parker will have his way with the interior defense of both the Lakers and the Jazz. The only difference being LA has Kobe who will be the best player on the floor.
Come on Junkie. The best any playoff team has played ever (that you have seen) was Game 3 of the Spurs-Suns series? Yes, the Spurs played well in that game. They didn't play particularly well in the others. In fact, they should have lost Game 1 (took some very lucky and uncharacteristic shots to get the win). Game 2 they were decent. Game 3 great, Game 4 AWFUL, Game 5 average. They only won Game 5 because the Suns turned into the worst shooting team in the NBA (and the defense was decent, but not stellar to force the Suns into an awful shooting night). Not that impressive overall.

The Jazz took 2 of 4 from the Spurs in the regular season (both at home). The Spurs barely won the first game in SA, and they blew the Jazz out in the last game (in SA) after the Jazz had clearly decided they weren't interested in competing since their playoff picture would be better with a loss. In the 3rd game, the Jazz held the Spurs to a franchise low total of 64 points.

I don't recall predicting that the Spurs wouldn't beat the Hornets. I think it will be competitive, but the Spurs likely get to the finals where they lose to the Jazz-Lakers winner (who then goes on to win the NBA title).

I am far more concerned about the Lakers than the Spurs. The Lakers look really good right now (far better than the Spurs and their greatest performance in NBA history in Game 3 ever). Kobe is looking fantastic.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #32
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Do you realize that Houston sucks? That will be my first question.
The Rockets don't suck. Particularly when Alston is playing good (and he is playing great). McGrady is also starting to play better. This is the same team that won about 20 games in a row this year, even though they had Yao when they did it. They are a good team that had a bad late season run. They are trying to gel again, but it is too little too late.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

McGrady is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. Look at his career FG and 3-pt %s and FT percentages. THey are low. And they are worse in the playoffs. And each year he is getting worse in terms of his skills.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #34
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
That's a pretty meaningless conditional prediction. If I win the Powerball, then I will pay $10M to fly on a Russian spacecraft to go to the international space station.
Are you suggesting the odds of the Jazz making the finals approximate the odds of you winning the Powerball? Or is this another instance of you thinking a difference between two statistics is meaningless?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #35
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Tony Parker is one of the most underrated players in the league. He's the best PG in the playoffs this year.
As awesome as he has been CP3 has been better. And lets not forget tha Mr. Two tie MVP was guarding him. He will get dominated in the next round.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #36
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
As awesome as he has been CP3 has been better. And lets not forget tha Mr. Two tie MVP was guarding him. He will get dominated in the next round.
Parker was the finals MVP last year, and Nash was not guarding him. Bell and Diaw were.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:48 AM   #37
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Come on Junkie. The best any playoff team has played ever (that you have seen) was Game 3 of the Spurs-Suns series? Yes, the Spurs played well in that game. They didn't play particularly well in the others. In fact, they should have lost Game 1 (took some very lucky and uncharacteristic shots to get the win). Game 2 they were decent. Game 3 great, Game 4 AWFUL, Game 5 average. They only won Game 5 because the Suns turned into the worst shooting team in the NBA (and the defense was decent, but not stellar to force the Suns into an awful shooting night). Not that impressive overall.

The Jazz took 2 of 4 from the Spurs in the regular season (both at home). The Spurs barely won the first game in SA, and they blew the Jazz out in the last game (in SA) after the Jazz had clearly decided they weren't interested in competing since their playoff picture would be better with a loss. In the 3rd game, the Jazz held the Spurs to a franchise low total of 64 points.

I don't recall predicting that the Spurs wouldn't beat the Hornets. I think it will be competitive, but the Spurs likely get to the finals where they lose to the Jazz-Lakers winner (who then goes on to win the NBA title).

I am far more concerned about the Lakers than the Spurs. The Lakers look really good right now (far better than the Spurs and their greatest performance in NBA history in Game 3 ever). Kobe is looking fantastic.
The Spurs performance in Game 3 was that good. Look at other factors besides final score, first of all the game was on the road, it was do or die for Phoenix (most teams play better in these situations) Tony Parker had 41 points 12 assists and 5 rebounds on 17-26 from the floor, Duncan had 23 and 10, Ginobili had 20 5 and 5. 84 points between the big 3, the lead wire to wire, they scored at will, shooting 56% from the floor as a team.

They held Steve Nash to 7 points on 3-8 shooting, they held the best FG% shooting team in the NBA on their home court below 50%. The Spurs were unstoppable in that game and played as well as any team I have ever seen.

Also if you dont think SAS is a different team come playoff time you dont watch much basketball. The final game of the year in San Antonio the Jazz came out trying to win that game, to say they didnt want homecourt is just stupid, the problem is they were slapped around in the opening minutes and quit.

I would put any amount of money you would like to bet that if San Antonio and Utah meet in the conference finals that the Spurs win the series.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #38
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Parker was the finals MVP last year, and Nash was not guarding him. Bell and Diaw were.
That was last year, and it was an impressive achievement. But I don't think he has been better than Paul this year.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:57 AM   #39
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
The Spurs performance in Game 3 was that good. Look at other factors besides final score, first of all the game was on the road, it was do or die for Phoenix (most teams play better in these situations) Tony Parker had 41 points 12 assists and 5 rebounds on 17-26 from the floor, Duncan had 23 and 10, Ginobili had 20 5 and 5. 84 points between the big 3, the lead wire to wire, they scored at will, shooting 56% from the floor as a team.

They held Steve Nash to 7 points on 3-8 shooting, they held the best FG% shooting team in the NBA on their home court below 50%. The Spurs were unstoppable in that game and played as well as any team I have ever seen.

Also if you dont think SAS is a different team come playoff time you dont watch much basketball. The final game of the year in San Antonio the Jazz came out trying to win that game, to say they didnt want homecourt is just stupid, the problem is they were slapped around in the opening minutes and quit.

I would put any amount of money you would like to bet that if San Antonio and Utah meet in the conference finals that the Spurs win the series.
Junkie, I have a feeling that when the dust settles and you really consider all the hoops you have watched, Game 3 of Spurs Suns round 1 is NOT going to rank as the greatest you have ever seen a team play in the post-season.

Spurs would beat the Jazz, no question. We may all have the chance to see that matchup, actually.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 AM   #40
cougjunkie

Let me add that Paul had Kidd guarding him, you dont think he is a great defender do you?

Parker averaged 29.6 points and 7 assists against Phoenix. While Shooting 54% from the floor.

Paul had good numbers 24 points 12 assists against Dallas but he also shot less than 50% from the floor, and had a 4-18 night. Even in San Antonios blowout loss Parker was 7-17.