cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #61
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
I thought it was a clear push off, but it's MJ.....what ref is going to make that call?
Mike Mathis would have made that call. Probably Jake O'Donnell as well.

The Jazz had their chances to win that game but didn't do it. Had Malone been able to recover the ball after Jordan stripped it from him, things might have been different or if Stock had hit the 3 point attempt at the buzzer the Jazz would have won that game.

I can live with the loss, but I will go to my grave knowing that it was a horrendous no-call.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #62
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The point isn't that Jordan pushed him 7 feet away. The point is that Jordan pushed him. It was not incidental contact. It was intentional.

I've been trying to find the Mike Mathis interview with Jim Rome last summer when the Tim Donaghey scandal blew up. Mathis was talking about questionable officiating that has been going on for years and he specifically brought up the Jordan push off. Mathis is considered on of the best and most fair officials in the history of the league, so if he's questioned it, there is more to it than most would like to admit.
Oh, my bad. If you are only contending that MJ did, in fact, touch him, then I agree 100%. He obviously touched him.

My contention is that the contact was not significant. His touching him did not cause B to go flying.

No ref is going to make that call at the very end of a game, and in the NBA finals no less. It isnt just an MJ thing. Look at the recent ending to the Jazz game...Deron is caught in mid air, it looks like he got tapped a bit, he put up a shot, the shot gets blocked. Game over. Refs let the players play it out in last-second situations.

A better clip for that game would also show a few seconds before, when Malone gets lazy, doesnt pay attenion, and allows MJ to swipe the ball away from him. That is what lost that game for the Jazz, not Mini B's on-court spasmodic behavior.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #63
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Mike Mathis would have made that call. Probably Jake O'Donnell as well.

The Jazz had their chances to win that game but didn't do it. Had Malone been able to recover the ball after Jordan stripped it from him, things might have been different or if Stock had hit the 3 point attempt at the buzzer the Jazz would have won that game.

I can live with the loss, but I will go to my grave knowing that it was a horrendous no-call.
If you die before me, i will come to your grave and leave a post-it note on your headstone that says that it was a good call.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #64
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
If you die before me, i will come to your grave and leave a post-it note on your headstone that says that it was a good call.
I'll be sure to have my lawyer put in my will that if anyone does that, my estate will sue the hell out of that person for defiling my grave.

Would you like to be my lawyer for this? Thin of what your cut would be after you and my estate sue you to kingdom come.

Or, I'll be sure to haunt you. When you least expect it, expect it. Or don't expect it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #65
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
No ref is going to make that call at the very end of a game, and in the NBA finals no less.
This is one of the reasons the NBA has become unwatchable. Fouls are fouls if there is 11:50 in the first quarter or 0:0.1 in the 4th quarter. It should be consistent for 48 minutes.

If I wanted to be a conspiracy theorist, I would point to a Bulls/Jazz game a few years earlier that went into triple OT with the Jazz finally winning. Jordan fouled Jeff Malone with 2 seconds left and got whistled for it. Jordan then went berserk and bumped the official who then whistled Jordan for a T and tossed Jordan from the game. Malone hit all 4 FTs and the Jazz won the game.

Phil Jackson whined about it saying that those fouls are not supposed to be called in the last 2 minutes or so and Jordan griped about it similarly. Poor babies.

The next season, that referee was gone and has never officiated in the NBA again.

That is a much more likely conspiracy to protect MJ.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #66
TripletDaddy

Quote:
This is one of the reasons the NBA has become unwatchable. Fouls are fouls if there is 11:50 in the first quarter or 0:0.1 in the 4th quarter. It should be consistent for 48 minutes.

If I wanted to be a conspiracy theorist, I would point to a Bulls/Jazz game a few years earlier that went into triple OT with the Jazz finally winning. Jordan fouled Jeff Malone with 2 seconds left and got whistled for it. Jordan then went berserk and bumped the official who then whistled Jordan for a T and tossed Jordan from the game. Malone hit all 4 FTs and the Jazz won the game.

Phil Jackson whined about it saying that those fouls are not supposed to be called in the last 2 minutes or so and Jordan griped about it similarly. Poor babies.

The next season, that referee was gone and has never officiated in the NBA again.

That is a much more likely conspiracy to protect MJ.
Kind of like MLB conspiracies that allowed Jeffrey Maier to reach in and nab jeter's pop out from tarasco. You should know better than anyone else here that THAT call was bogus.

but it was the playoffs. and it was the Yankees and Derek Freaking Jeter. So they let him have his HR.

Happens in all sports.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #67
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Kind of like MLB conspiracies that allowed Jeffrey Maier to reach in and nab jeter's pop out from tarasco. You should know better than anyone else here that THAT call was bogus.

but it was the playoffs. and it was the Yankees and Derek Freaking Jeter. So they let him have his HR.

Happens in all sports.
The Yankees are evil and Derek Jeter is one of Satan's minions. Umpires and baseball players are much more superstitious than those involved in other professional sports, so the fact that they would let that slide is more out of fear of retaliation from Beelzebub than just letting Jeter have his HR.

And that truant little bastard Maier just about had a 2nd chance to sabotage the Orioles. If Angelos had had his way, the Os would have drafted that little cretin in '06.

Now you've really got me pissed off. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #68
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Note to Cali: understand the principle being illustrated and stop being a mindless literalist.
You are now on record as saying that there isn't really a difference between 0.0% and 0.8% and that the odds of winning the lottery and the odds of the Jazz making the finals are approximately equal. You are one strange actuary.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote