cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I can't stand the Spurs or the Lakers, but how do you not call that?

I don't think it is a 3 shot foul, though. I think the foul was before the act of shooting, so it should have been a 2 shot foul. Still, that was pretty bad.
I laughed and laughed and laughed when that happened because I knew it would make JazzNation blow a gasket.

I also hate the Spurs, so that had comical value too. So much for that home court advantage.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The worst call in basketball is the call where a player fakes the shot, the defender jumps straight up, the shooter leans into him, draws contact, and shoots. THIS IS NOT A FOUL. A defender is allowed to jump straight up and the player who initiates contact should be called for a foul.

I like the call last night.

Defender jumps in, shooter leans in, no foul.
Defender jumps straight up, shooter leans in, charge.
Defender jumps in, shooter jumps straight up, defender's jump creates contact, foul on defender.
I dont really care about the call, the Spurs didnt play well enough to win, but Barry did not jump in to him. Barry actually was trying to avoid him. There was definitely contact and it was not initiated in any way by Barry. If Barry would have jumped in to him he would have gotten the call.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #13
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I really don't think they should have blown the whistle. Was there contact and a foul? Yes. You can call it a makeup call for the previous possession when Fisher's shot hit the rim and should have reset the shot clock but didn't. That would have forced the Spurs to foul Bryant to stop the clock and put him on the line to ice the game.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I dont really care about the call, the Spurs didnt play well enough to win, but Barry did not jump in to him. Barry actually was trying to avoid him. There was definitely contact and it was not initiated in any way by Barry. If Barry would have jumped in to him he would have gotten the call.
Yeah, that is the bad part for Barry. If he had gone up with the shot when fouled, the ref would have had to call a foul and given him 3 shots. Instead, Barry tried to dribble around him and wound up getting nothing for it. Odd result.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I really don't think they should have blown the whistle. Was there contact and a foul? Yes. You can call it a makeup call for the previous possession when Fisher's shot hit the rim and should have reset the shot clock but didn't. That would have forced the Spurs to foul Bryant to stop the clock and put him on the line to ice the game.
It certainly wasn't clear to me that the shot hit the rim on the previous possession. I didn't think it did, but maybe there is video showing otherwise.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
cambo

cambo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The worst call in basketball is the call where a player fakes the shot, the defender jumps straight up, the shooter leans into him, draws contact, and shoots. THIS IS NOT A FOUL. A defender is allowed to jump straight up and the player who initiates contact should be called for a foul.

I like the call last night.

Defender jumps in, shooter leans in, no foul.
Defender jumps straight up, shooter leans in, charge.
Defender jumps in, shooter jumps straight up, defender's jump creates contact, foul on defender.
Barry didn't lean into Fisher though. He stopped all motion and Fisher landed on his shoulder. That was a foul.
cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #17
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I laughed and laughed and laughed when that happened because I knew it would make JazzNation blow a gasket.

I also hate the Spurs, so that had comical value too. So much for that home court advantage.
It's a no win situation for Jazz fan; who do you root against? The team that has owned you (Spurs) or the team that is about to take over the WC?
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The NBA is a joke. Even Jackson said this at the end of the first half. The refs manage the game, keep it close, give the win to the team that will get higher ratings in the next round.

Personally, I think it is unwatchable.

Dale Hansen, here on local radio, said that if the Mavs have to look like the Pistons, to win a championship, he'd rather not win a championship. I agree.

It's boring. 100 free throws a game. Questionable calls all over the place, etc.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
It's a no win situation for Jazz fan; who do you root against? The team that has owned you (Spurs) or the team that is about to take over the WC?

You have to think outside the box:

It's not about who to root against. It's about the fact that the playoffs ended when the Jazz were eliminated.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:15 AM   #20
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=3416412

Quote:
The league office on Wednesday reviewed the final play of the San Antonio Spurs' 93-91 home loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals and acknowledged that a two-shot foul should have been called on Derek Fisher for impeding Brent Barry.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote