cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #41
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
The NBA is stupid to do this for the following reasons:

1. The outcome will not change.

2. The issue was dying and they gave it life.

3. They open a can of worms by apologizing for one bad call but not apologizing for any others that may have happened during the course of the game.

They should have just let the issue die. The Spurs had moved on, the Lakers had moved on, I am sure the refs had moved on. All this did was fuel the fire of bitter Spurs fans. Maybe they think this will help ratings? I doubt it does.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #42
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Let me go on record as saying that I have not complained once about the no-call. I also still have a glimmer of hope. The Spurs led by 20 in game 1, led by 20 in game 3, and had a chance to win game 4. This series could very easily be 3-1 SAS.

I think if San Antonio wins tonight they can force a game 7. But I really dont see them winning this series, 3 in a row from LA with two of them on the road is a near impossible task.
I dont think you have complained much at all the entire series.

When it comes to the Lakers, Spurs fans are a different breed than Jazz fans, at least in my opinion. Perhaps that is because the Spurs have won rings and so there is a mutual respect there between the two groups. Not sure.

By rights, the Lakers should consider the Spurs their rival because they have battled for most of the titles in this decade. But I honestly can never bring myself to dislike the Spurs because, for the most part, they simply keep quiet, win or lose. I cant think of an incident, even when the Spurs beat the Lakers, wherein I felt that the Spurs were jerks. How do people dislike Tim Duncan? What does he say that annoys people? I dont get it.

I do think this series is over, even if it goes to 6 or 7. The Lakers are too fast and too young. The Spurs built large leads in two games, they also fell into large holes in two games. Last night, down by 14 and it was only halfway through the first quarter.

Again, this is a torch passing. Trust me....I've seen it twice in my lifetime....both time by younger faster teams. When the Lakers beat the Bulls in game 1 of the Finals, I was expecting another Laker victory. In Game 2, it was quickly apparant that there was a new era beginning.

When the Lakers lost to the Spurs on the quest for 4, it was sad, but you realized that these teams cannot win forever. The Spurs were simply better....because they were younger and faster. Another new era was beginning.

This Spurs team has had an insanely impressive run. 4 rings in less than 9 years. But a lot of extra mileage from all those playoff runs. Time for another new era....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #43
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I dont think you have complained much at all the entire series.

When it comes to the Lakers, Spurs fans are a different breed than Jazz fans, at least in my opinion. Perhaps that is because the Spurs have won rings and so there is a mutual respect there between the two groups. Not sure.

By rights, the Lakers should consider the Spurs their rival because they have battled for most of the titles in this decade. But I honestly can never bring myself to dislike the Spurs because, for the most part, they simply keep quiet, win or lose. I cant think of an incident, even when the Spurs beat the Lakers, wherein I felt that the Spurs were jerks. How do people dislike Tim Duncan? What does he say that annoys people? I dont get it.

I do think this series is over, even if it goes to 6 or 7. The Lakers are too fast and too young. The Spurs built large leads in two games, they also fell into large holes in two games. Last night, down by 14 and it was only halfway through the first quarter.

Again, this is a torch passing. Trust me....I've seen it twice in my lifetime....both time by younger faster teams. When the Lakers beat the Bulls in game 1 of the Finals, I was expecting another Laker victory. In Game 2, it was quickly apparant that there was a new era beginning.

When the Lakers lost to the Spurs on the quest for 4, it was sad, but you realized that these teams cannot win forever. The Spurs were simply better....because they were younger and faster. Another new era was beginning.

This Spurs team has had an insanely impressive run. 4 rings in less than 9 years. But a lot of extra mileage from all those playoff runs. Time for another new era....
Maybe I am in denial.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #44
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The NBA is stupid to do this for the following reasons:

1. The outcome will not change.

2. The issue was dying and they gave it life.

3. They open a can of worms by apologizing for one bad call but not apologizing for any others that may have happened during the course of the game.

They should have just let the issue die. The Spurs had moved on, the Lakers had moved on, I am sure the refs had moved on. All this did was fuel the fire of bitter Spurs fans. Maybe they think this will help ratings? I doubt it does.
My take on the non-sense behind the ratings conspiracy....

IF there were a conspiracy to boost ratings by showcasing the Lakers, the league would have made sure that the Lakers did not sweep their first series, finish their second one in 6, and likely finish their third series in 5 games.

If there was a ratings conspiracy, why are the Lakers the team that has played the fewest games of any of the 4 remaining teams?

The only conspiracy going on is the fan conspiracy to try to deny the impending global domination and absolute awesomeness of the Laker Kingdom.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #45
Flystripper

Quote:
I think you are right about a torch passing. The one that I most remember is the passing of the torch from the Bad Boy Pistons to the Chicago Bulls. Once MJ finally got past the Pistons it was on the way to 6 rings. Now I don't think the Lakers have 6 rings in them (they still have a ways to go this season let alone 5 additional seasons) but the Laker future is bright!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #46
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Maybe I am in denial.
Yes, you are. I know because, as I said, I have been there before...

I was on my mission reading about the Finals and thinking....."Magic...Worthy....they are going to lose to these Finals rookies? No way. they will flip the switch..."

When the 4-peat was crushed, I KNEW that Shaq and Kobe would finally flip that switch and beat the Spurs.....I kept thinking...."ok, NOW they will start playing for real...."

Same with SC. It cannot last forever, but as a fan, you desperately want it to last.

This Spurs team is amazing because they were so methodic. No flash, all substance. They grind you down on defense and kill you softly on offense. But it has to end sometime. Now is the time.

Check back with me in about 4 years, when I will be in massive Kobe denial.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #47
Flystripper

Quote:
My take on the non-sense behind the ratings conspiracy....

IF there were a conspiracy to boost ratings by showcasing the Lakers, the league would have made sure that the Lakers did not sweep their first series, finish their second one in 6, and likely finish their third series in 5 games.

If there was a ratings conspiracy, why are the Lakers the team that has played the fewest games of any of the 4 remaining teams?

The only conspiracy going on is the fan conspiracy to try to deny the impending global domination and absolute awesomeness of the Laker Kingdom.
I just can't see why the NBA would issue this apology. It makes no sense unless they hope it will increase ratings for tonight's game. I am not a consipracy theorist.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #48
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I think you are right about a torch passing. The one that I most remember is the passing of the torch from the Bad Boy Pistons to the Chicago Bulls. Once MJ finally got past the Pistons it was on the way to 6 rings. Now I don't think the Lakers have 6 rings in them (they still have a ways to go this season let alone 5 additional seasons) but the Laker future is bright!
Exactly. Eventually, the younger fresher legs win out against veteran saavy. It also helps when the younger legs also have skilled players.

This Laker team is poised for some greatness for the next several years, assuming no major injuries.

And, like all other despots, their reign will also come to a end by another budding dynasty.

It is all part of the Circle of Life.....

Old 05-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #49
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I just can't see why the NBA would issue this apology. It makes no sense unless they hope it will increase ratings for tonight's game. I am not a consipracy theorist.
The NBA has a vested interest in making sure that it retains credibility. If they do not acknowledge mistakes, then the public starts believing that there is a fix and the league becomes pro wrestling.

The Laker games have been the highest rated games in the post-season, so they are not needing the ratings for tonight. Everyone will be watching anyway.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #50
Flystripper

Quote:
The NBA has a vested interest in making sure that it retains credibility. If they do not acknowledge mistakes, then the public starts believing that there is a fix and the league becomes pro wrestling.

The Laker games have been the highest rated games in the post-season, so they are not needing the ratings for tonight. Everyone will be watching anyway.
So are they going to start looking at every play and issuing 50 apologies per game? It is a slippery slope and a stupid idea. It does nothing for their credibility IMHO. I don't think it is a consipracy. I just think it is stupid and serves no purpose other than it will likley give a slight ratings bump to tonight's game.