cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #21
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
They drew a 2.7 rating which is not bad, but that is probably because a lot of casual fans tuned in, if you were a casual fan, would that show have hooked you? I doubt it. In contrast the XFL, drew a 9.7 its first week and never drew close a 1 share after that.
Word is they drew 6.5 million viewers, which is better than a 4 rating. That's the most ever for a live MMA fight on basic cable. And EliteXC is definitely bush-league compared to UFC, both in the quality of fighters and production wise (though UFC doesn't fight women yet, and again, Gina Carano was awesome).

Slice (aka "
Kevin Ferguson") is a chump, but he's the best draw that EliteXC has. Even his YouTube videos are bull. He's a classless mouth that weighs 270 pounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3phRXMgmt1M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fV4zivxupU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHRv44MJ6iw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vkdIcQsYow
Old 06-05-2008, 05:01 AM   #22
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

The first 4 fights of the Elite XC event were legitimate quality fights that could be found on any WEC or UFC undercard, with two of them being headline quality fights. The Kimbo fight was a circus, but not long ago the UFC was promoting and announcing Brock Lesnar as a former WWE champion.

The production was a little slow, even though conversely 5 fights on the WEC card went over the 2 hours alloted for the event, but the ratings were solid and CBS has deep pockets to make subsequent events bigger, better and more efficient.

Now, the Affliction event in a month and a half? Talk about legit MMA talent outside the UFC. Wowzers, Sylvia, Arlovski, Fedor, Barnett, a surging Rizzo, and now with Trump possibly Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:23 AM   #23
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
The first 4 fights of the Elite XC event were legitimate quality fights that could be found on any WEC or UFC undercard, with two of them being headline quality fights. The Kimbo fight was a circus, but not long ago the UFC was promoting and announcing Brock Lesnar as a former WWE champion.

The production was a little slow, even though conversely 5 fights on the WEC card went over the 2 hours alloted for the event, but the ratings were solid and CBS has deep pockets to make subsequent events bigger, better and more efficient.

Now, the Affliction event in a month and a half? Talk about legit MMA talent outside the UFC. Wowzers, Sylvia, Arlovski, Fedor, Barnett, a surging Rizzo, and now with Trump possibly Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture?
I'll give you Fedor, but the others? Definitely the best outside of the UFC, but there's a reason those guys aren't in the UFC anymore. Sylvia is a joke. Arlovski is a has been. Tito and Couture are in that boat too. Barnet and Rizzo are decent.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:26 AM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate you Dream haters.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #25
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I hate you Dream haters.
Looking forward to next weeks card. Jacare has been training in our gym for the last two week; real nice guy and looks to be in great shape. He's got a tough match up with an experienced Mayhem Miller. It's hard to judge his stand up, but he's one of the few fighters with legit world class BJJ.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Mayhem Miller is a tough matchup. I think I saw Jacare fight already, but can't remember anything. I would not want to go in the ring against Miller. He looks vicious.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Sunday June 15, Dream 4.

Looking forward to seeing Aoki fight. I'm really intrigued that a guy as skinny as him can win partly on the basis of flexibility.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #28
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Mayhem Miller is a tough matchup. I think I saw Jacare fight already, but can't remember anything. I would not want to go in the ring against Miller. He looks vicious.
Jacare choked out his last opponent in the first round.

I've enjoyed watching Mayhem over the years. He can be a little difficult to stomach at times, but he's always entertaining and puts on a good show.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #29
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont think Dream is bad, I watch all of the cards, and they are free on HDnet so its a good option. However I dont follow the Asian fighters as much as the ones in the US. I do know that Aoki has some crazy ways to pull guard, but I still think he would get blasted by BJ Penn.

Also Fusnik if you really think that the first 4 fights on the CBS card were world class you are up in the night. The Brett Rogers fight was two bums going at it. Phil Baroni is a never-was, Carano and Young was good for a chick fight, Smith and Lawler could have been a fight of the year candidate had they not stopped it.

But CBS said they stopped it because they didnt want anything to get to gruesome on TV. That is why the CBS production is a joke, also Caitlin Young said she was ready to go another round and the CBS officials told her that "we dont want to see a girl get beat up this bad" so they stopped it.

EliteXC has lost money 3 years in a row, and the ratings for their next card will not be anywhere close, and wait until Gary Shaw puts together the "all-women" card that he has been talking about, throw that on CBS and see who watches it.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #30
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
Jacare choked out his last opponent in the first round.

I've enjoyed watching Mayhem over the years. He can be a little difficult to stomach at times, but he's always entertaining and puts on a good show.
Mayhem is entertaining out of the ring, it seems like every UFC show I see him in the stands making faces on camera. In the ring I dont think he is that great.