cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #31
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I like good football, but sometimes a contrast in styles is also fun.

I watched a high level American U-17 game involving one team with superior athletes and good overall game skills and one where the strategy was perfect for that team.

The better team had more players, played a European style of careful advancement of the ball.

The other team had some fast player, long balled it and challenged every pass. It made for a fascinating contrast with every header, every pass ending up in a hard tackle and only a missed counter-attack by a superior team determined the game. The "banger" team played its game to perfection and would not have succeeded had it tried to play the European style for which it was ill-equipped.
But you were pulling for the purists I bet.

These boys are U13. There is still time to teach them.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:59 PM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
But you were pulling for the purists I bet.

These boys are U13. There is still time to teach them.
I actually pulled for the underdogs, the nonpurists.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:26 AM   #33
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Coupled with the manager ordering a hit & run to take advantage of the hole, taking into account the hitter's propensity for hitting to the Right Side, and the resulting shifts to cover the bases, take the relay throw from Right Field, the backing up of the relay man, whether the Right Fielder should attempt a throw to third (or the plate) or try to hold the hitter at first, whether the Right Fielder lined himself up correctly for the play, whether the cutoff man takes the cutoff to try to pick off the guy rounding first, whether the pitcher pouts or makes sure to position himself correctly...

I could go on, but I fear it's wasted effort.
Yeah I get it. Still not that compelling. Every team sport nearly every player is involved in most plays.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #34
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Yeah I get it. Still not that compelling. Every team sport nearly every player is involved in most plays.
*Virtual shrug*

To each his own, eh? For sure, every team sport involves this, though not to the same degree as baseball, IMO.

That you don't find such teamwork compelling is more telling of your personality than it is of mine.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote