cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road
Default Olympics 2008

I didn't quite know where to post this - so here I am. This Olympics is the first I feel I have really been into. I have admired other athletes and watched their respective competitions before, but this year I am a huge supporter of the U.S. all around. The level of these athletes is incredible and I find myself every night glued to the screen during primetime and even during the day watching every event I possibly can. Literally, everyone in our house is losing sleep just to stay up and watch swimming, it's awesome. I really want to see Phelps win 8 golds, who's with me?
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I am all about Phelps. I am more interested in him than in USA basketball, actually. He is on the cusp of something truly amazing.

However, I have been glued to the Olympics since I was a kid in 84.....Los Angeles Summer Games. I caught the bug and never looked back.

My favorite things about each Olympics:

1. Watching the new and creative ways to light the Olympic flame. Does everyone remember the archer with the flaming arrow in Barcelona? How amazing was that?

2. Parade of Nations (I know many find this boring...I find it to be really cool)

3. Track and Field...esp the relays.....there is something terribly exciting about watching 4 USA sprinters pass that baton and watch them build that lead on each pass. I could do without the mugging and posing and using the American flag as a cape, which took place several years ago. That was lame.

4. Looking at the medal count and seeing the USA at the top

5. Looking at the medal count and seeing that one lone tiny nation with one medal.....maybe a bronze, maybe even a gold.....but you know that whomever it was that won the medal will forever be a hero in his or her country.

6. The National Anthem and the raising of the US flag. That never gets old for me. I love watching the atheletes....will they cry? will they be stone faced? will they attempt to sing (and mess up the lyrics?)...it seems silly....why should I feel a tremendous swell of national pride simply because an American swam a faster 100M butterfly stroke than a Japanese person? Who cares, really? I cannot explain it, but for whatever reason, the Olympics make me care.

7. The Olympic rings/logo everywhere. yes, I realize that it is a branding exercise and that the Olympics are largely about corporate sponsorship and money. However, for those that have lived in a host city....SLC, for example.....did you think it was cool to see Olympic stuff all over the place? The gigantic murals or pictures of atheletes draped over downtown buildings, the Olympic Flame burning at the local stadium, flags of nations everywhere.....you just feel like you are at the epicenter of something incredibly important and fun. Maybe others felt it to be an intrusion (traffic, crowds, etc...), but i loved being a part of it. I hope the Olympics return to Los Angeles again in my lifetime.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am all about Phelps. I am more interested in him than in USA basketball, actually. He is on the cusp of something truly amazing.

However, I have been glued to the Olympics since I was a kid in 84.....Los Angeles Summer Games. I caught the bug and never looked back.

1. Watching the new and creative ways to light the Olympic flame. Does everyone remember the archer with the flaming arrow in Barcelona? How amazing was that?

2. Parade of Nations (I know many find this boring...I find it to be really cool)

3. Track and Field...esp the relays.....there is something terribly exciting about watching 4 USA sprinters pass that baton and watch them build that lead on each pass. I could do without the mugging and posing and using the American flag as a cape, which took place several years ago. That was lame.

5. Looking at the medal count and seeing that one lone tiny nation with one medal.....maybe a bronze, maybe even a gold.....but you know that whomever it was that won the medal will forever be a hero in his or her country.

6. The National Anthem and the raising of the US flag. That never gets old for me. I love watching the atheletes....will they cry? will they be stone faced? will they attempt to sing (and mess up the lyrics?)...it seems silly....why should I feel a tremendous swell of national pride simply because an American swam a faster 100M butterfly stroke than a Japanese person? Who cares, really? I cannot explain it, but for whatever reason, the Olympics make me care.

7. The Olympic rings/logo everywhere. yes, I realize that it is a branding exercise and that the Olympics are largely about corporate sponsorship and money. However, for those that have lived in a host city....SLC, for example.....did you think it was cool to see Olympic stuff all over the place? The gigantic murals or pictures of atheletes draped over downtown buildings, the Olympic Flame burning at the local stadium, flags of nations everywhere.....you just feel like you are at the epicenter of something incredibly important and fun. Maybe others felt it to be an intrusion (traffic, crowds, etc...), but i loved being a part of it. I hope the Olympics return to Los Angeles again in my lifetime.
I thought the archer was the atlanta games after Muhammad Ali came out?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I thought the archer was the atlanta games after Muhammad Ali came out?
No. Ali lit the flame...remember, he was shaky from parkinsons.

The Archer was in Barthelona.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 08-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

I am in agreement, the parade of nations is cool, I watched the whole thing in its entirety. The Olympics torch lighting is always a huge highlight. All relays swimming, track make me so nervous, my husband always laughs at me for it! But I think that's a good thing, it shows how exciting and thrilling these events are, one more thing I love is the medals ceremonies - I just can't get tired of seeing the athletes tear up under their flag (especially when it's American) but with any country - in smaller less popular events I find myself rooting for countries who have never won a medal, it just seems like such an accomplishment, and I believe it is.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding Phelps he will only be 27 at the next Olympic games, can you imagine what he is going to do to just about every record out there.

He has 11 golds now, and 2 bronze, if he wins his next 3 races here he will have 14 gold medals and 2 bronze medals. In 2012 I doubt he would try 8 events again so let be conservative and say he wins 4 gold medals. Then he realistically could specialize in one or two events and come back in 2016 he would only be 31 and what if he wins another gold or 2.

We could realistically see this kid win 20 gold medals in his career.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Regarding Phelps he will only be 27 at the next Olympic games, can you imagine what he is going to do to just about every record out there.

He has 11 golds now, and 2 bronze, if he wins his next 3 races here he will have 14 gold medals and 2 bronze medals. In 2012 I doubt he would try 8 events again so let be conservative and say he wins 4 gold medals. Then he realistically could specialize in one or two events and come back in 2016 he would only be 31 and what if he wins another gold or 2.

This is a good point. Phelps could be the next Lezak....swimming one leg of a couple of relays in future Olympics, picking up a few more Golds.

That guy is set for life if he plays his cards right....

1. Motivational/Corporate speaking circuit
2. Book deals
3. Endorsements for swim gear
4. His own swim academy/school
5. Trainer/coach/consultant for future Olympic teams (hopefully just for the USA)
6. TV analyst for swimming

i read yesterday that his swim regimen includes 50 miles a week. holy crap. That guy deserves every bit of success/fame he is tasting right now.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

After Beijing, I wonder if he will have sufficient motivation to train at this level for another four years.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
After Beijing, I wonder if he will have sufficient motivation to train at this level for another four years.
He has already said that he plans to compete at the 2012 games in Londres.

Good luck, world.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
People like him don't lose motivation
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote