cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
I didn't quite know where to post this - so here I am. This Olympics is the first I feel I have really been into. I have admired other athletes and watched their respective competitions before, but this year I am a huge supporter of the U.S. all around. The level of these athletes is incredible and I find myself every night glued to the screen during primetime and even during the day watching every event I possibly can. Literally, everyone in our house is losing sleep just to stay up and watch swimming, it's awesome. I really want to see Phelps win 8 golds, who's with me?
The games have been spectacular so far. The pageantry, the remarkable athleticism, the amazing competitions...

I have to say that I am shocked there hasn't been more of a political flair so far. I truly believed something would have happened by now. Not a single Tibetan flag from an athlete? No mass demonstrations in Tiannanmen Square? Either China is doing a fantastic job of controlling the media outlets, or people are really failing to take advantage of the spotlight on China to make a point.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This is a good point. Phelps could be the next Lezak....swimming one leg of a couple of relays in future Olympics, picking up a few more Golds.

That guy is set for life if he plays his cards right....

1. Motivational/Corporate speaking circuit
2. Book deals
3. Endorsements for swim gear
4. His own swim academy/school
5. Trainer/coach/consultant for future Olympic teams (hopefully just for the USA)
6. TV analyst for swimming

i read yesterday that his swim regimen includes 50 miles a week. holy crap. That guy deserves every bit of success/fame he is tasting right now.
I read yesterday that with his endorsement deals he currently makes roughly 5 million a year. If he breaks the record that will triple.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I read yesterday that with his endorsement deals he currently makes roughly 5 million a year. If he breaks the record that will triple.
Can you imagine the disappointment there will be if he falters in one these last three races?
Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Can you imagine the disappointment there will be if he falters in one these last three races?
As long as he ties Spitz, that is fantastic. He easily lays claim to the title of Greatest Swimmer of All Time.

However, you are right...there will be a collective malaise if he "only" wins 6 or 7 Golds in Beijing.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I love the fringe sports that you see in the middle of the morning like rowing and badminton.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #16
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been enjoying them as well. I was heart broken for Alicia Sacramone last night. I was impressed with her composure, though. I'm sure she just wanted to get the hell out of that arena so she could go have a good cry in private. The pressure on these kids is unbelievable.

As my wife and I have been talking about some of the events, I've caught myself saying "we" when I talk about the Americans. It's cheesy and silly, but for some reason the Olympics really bring out the pride in my country.

I can't wait for the marathons. If Ryan Hall can get to the medal podium, it would be an incredible moment for American distance running.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #17
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I love the fringe sports that you see in the middle of the morning like rowing and badminton.
Badminton is bad-ass - I cannot believe how incredible the Chinese are at this sport. We have DVR'ed all the events so far, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised watching badminton. I used to play in my back-yard in high school all the time, but the level of competition in Beijing is out of this world.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
7. The Olympic rings/logo everywhere. yes, I realize that it is a branding exercise and that the Olympics are largely about corporate sponsorship and money. However, for those that have lived in a host city....SLC, for example.....did you think it was cool to see Olympic stuff all over the place? The gigantic murals or pictures of atheletes draped over downtown buildings, the Olympic Flame burning at the local stadium, flags of nations everywhere.....you just feel like you are at the epicenter of something incredibly important and fun. Maybe others felt it to be an intrusion (traffic, crowds, etc...), but i loved being a part of it. I hope the Olympics return to Los Angeles again in my lifetime.
I really liked seeing those huge murals of athletes all over the city and I enjoy seeing the Olympic cauldron each time I go see the Utes play a home game.

I do have to admit that it was a real pain in the hiney when I needed to go downtown and at times I wished that the residents who needed to go into the city would be allowed to park wherever they wanted in order to go about business. But overall, it was a tremendous feeling of civic pride to know that the entire world was focused on SLC for the 2 or 3 weeks that the Olympics were here. It was even better than when the Jazz were in the Finals in '97 and '98.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

speaking of phelps, what the hell is in the water in Beijing? I have never seen so many records broken. They are breaking the record in every event, multiple times in prelims.

They should test the water.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
speaking of phelps, what the hell is in the water in Beijing? I have never seen so many records broken. They are breaking the record in every event, multiple times in prelims.

They should test the water.
Swimmers are doping.

OR

all the swimmers this year as super amazing athletes that dedicate themselves and train hard, thus breaking world records every single day of these Olympics.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote