cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #21
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
She is still a cheater, yes.

But of the 3, she is the most honest cheater.

Bonds and Clemens continue to lie.

it is better to admit it under penalty of punishment than to not admit it at all (assuming that the admission is truthful)
Yeah, I wasn't really disagreeing. They all three suck.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I need to know the reason for the rule. I'm assuming it's to protect young children from overzealous coaches. If it's generally accepted that being a tween is actual beneficial to Olympic performance then perhaps I could change my mind. I can't imagine any sport where that would be true though.
I dont know that the reason has been fully articulated this past week.

But the entire US coaching staff is up in arms about the ages of the gymnasts, so there must be a reason for the rule.

The margins of victory were so slight in these competitions that you wonder whether there really is an advantage or disadvantage.

It isn't like if a college baseball team were to play a Little baseball team and beat them by 30 runs.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #23
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I dont know that the reason has been fully articulated this past week.

But the entire US coaching staff is up in arms about the ages of the gymnasts, so there must be a reason for the rule.

The margins of victory were so slight in these competitions that you wonder whether there really is an advantage or disadvantage.

It isn't like if a college baseball team were to play a Little baseball team and beat them by 30 runs.
The only explanation I have read stated that the advantage was a mental advantage. The 20 year old US Sacramone messed up because she understood the magnitude of the olympics while the 13 year old He wasn't mature enough to wrap her mind around the magnitude of the event.

I laughed. In every physical competition experience is a positive save gymnastics.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #24
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Be honest with yourself for a second here DDD. Can you imagine the thought "man, I would have won if it hadn't been for Hannah Montana there and her eleventeen year old band of thugs" actually crossing your mind? The Olympics are about putting the best athletes in competition with each other and seeing who comes out on top. I understand there's a reason girls under 16 can't compete and I can see that costing China their win. But, as an athlete I want to know I beat the best. That gold would never feel good to me because I'd know I got it on a technicality after losing in head to head competition.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not if they'd lost to us head to head but then later found out that we had some Junior High aged ringers on the team during the game.
I dunno. They are a BCS team and the BCS as an organization needs to do whatever it can to continue to convince the rest of us of their superiority.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #26
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Be honest with yourself for a second here DDD. Can you imagine the thought "man, I would have won if it hadn't been for Hannah Montana there and her eleventeen year old band of thugs" actually crossing your mind? The Olympics are about putting the best athletes in competition with each other and seeing who comes out on top. I understand there's a reason girls under 16 can't compete and I can see that costing China their win. But, as an athlete I want to know I beat the best. That gold would never feel good to me because I'd know I got it on a technicality after losing in head to head competition.
pretty much
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #27
TripletDaddy

Quote:
no, i totally agree with you.

This is why I always found the "No NBA" players rule to be a joke. Why cant NBA players play for the gold medal? Very doubtful that the previous medalists in olympic hoops (US and otherwise) were the best in the world.

I am just saying that regardless, China appears to have broken the rules, which is lame.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 08-16-2008, 03:48 AM   #28
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Just to be clear, I never suggested that the IOC would investigate or is incentivized to investigate. I just think someone will spill the beans at some point and it will fall in their laps. At that point they will have no choice if the evidence is credible.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #29
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

The reason for the rule is to protect children's bodies from the rigors of competitive gymnastics. It's a HUGE advantage to be younger and smaller, especially in the uneven bars, which is the event where the Chinese made the biggest gain (and where there is good evidence that all three gymnasts were well underage). If you doubt it's an advantage--think of Nadia Comaneci. 1976 - Gold medal with 7 perfect 10's at age 14. 1980 - Silver medal, no perfect 10's, age 18. Still good, but nothing like her 14-yo performance.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:01 AM   #30
TripletDaddy

Take that, cheaters! He Kexin, you are dead meat.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle4583174.ece

This must be what the narrator felt like in The Tell-Tale Heart.