cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First campout T -3 hours

Looking forward to it.

We will have 4 or less boys.

It's the not the numbers. It's the willingness to lead, follow and fight.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

If you invited the other local boys, sounds like you might have the "fight" part taken care of.

Have fun.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:56 AM   #3
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope things went well. I remembered another thing we did with our wild bunch. We found a guy in the ward (it seems like it's usually an inactive guy with this obsession) that had pet snakes and even a piranha and some other fish like that. We took the guys over and they all got a chance to hold snakes if they had the cojones and then he fed the fish a baby mouse. It's an awesome thing to see a live mouse slowly sinking, not knowing what's happening, and then he gets eaten by a fish.

Hopefully the owners are knowledgeable of the animals and can talk to that. It's interesting, it's learning, and it's nature related.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:09 AM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeez Mike, don't you have a GPS Blackberry to check Cougarguard on your campouts? It's odd having you go this long without posting.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I can say that the food I made was delicious.

I made a pepperoni pizza with olives, bell peppers, and onions.

I also made a peach/berry cobbler.

I was disappointed in the scouts performance food-wise. Two of them did not bring anything to eat with. Another did not bring any food to cook (lunchables). They have the expectation that they are going to mooch off the leaders (this may have been the first campout where they went in being told that they would need to bring their own breakfast, instead of the leaders providing it).

Since they still ended up mooching (not my choice, but the YM pres's choice), I think I will go to a system where the boys cook for everyone (including leaders). No fallback in that case. (just to be on the safe side, I will bring a private stash of power bars and triple threat bars to safely eat in my tent ).

Our next campout, we may do a hikein, and only use dehydrated food. That would be a good exercise.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

LOL. How I hate lunchables. My scouts would always bring those to campouts. What a waste of money.

I used to assign a cooking patrol on each campout and do communal food. Sometimes we would tell them to bring their own food, but all they would bring is lunchables and other junk.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:39 PM   #7
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I know our scoutmaster has the kids prepare all of their meals at the mutual on the Wednesday night before the campout. They do the hobo packs and them something for the breakfast. They freeze them for 2 nights and then pull them out when they are ready to head out.