cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 02:11 AM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I'm not a fan of Carmello Anthony, but I'm always uneasy when I hear people throw around the word "thug" when it comes to NBA players. It's racist. When people refer to NBA players as thugs, they're not talking about guys like Brad Miller and Kirk Heinrich.
No it's not.

They referred to Bill Lambier as a thug. It's just that many of the black players play the gansta role so well. The white thuggish players are not as apt to look like drug dealers.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:31 AM   #12
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Carmello Anthony, but I'm always uneasy when I hear people throw around the word "thug" when it comes to NBA players. It's racist. When people refer to NBA players as thugs, they're not talking about guys like Brad Miller and Kirk Heinrich.
LOL. Pretty funny.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #13
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, when Keinrich or Brad Miller show up in the sequal to stop snitching, I'm sure their street cred and thugishness will be increased to a level close to 'Melo's.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/spor...29/detail.html
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

How can race NOT be an issue when you say anything about the players in the NBA. What, 12% of the population is black, and 80% of the NBA is black. So any derogatory thing you say about NBA players gets the "racist card" played.

If you say "NBA players, a son or daughter in every city." You're a racist. etc. etc.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:04 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
How can race NOT be an issue when you say anything about the players in the NBA. What, 12% of the population is black, and 80% of the NBA is black. So any derogatory thing you say about NBA players gets the "racist card" played.

If you say "NBA players, a son or daughter in every city." You're a racist. etc. etc.
Thug label is attachable based on actions and dress. If the NBAers want to dress like drug dealers, I'll call them gangstas. If they want to act like the Admiral or Grant Hill, they'll be treated as the gentlemen they have become.

Bill Lambier was a thug on the court and he was disliked because of it. Ainge received plenty of negative comments as well. Even though Tree Rollins bit Ainge, who got the blame? Was that as a result of race?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #16
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Thanks Fusnik.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #17
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Even though Tree Rollins bit Ainge, who got the blame? Was that as a result of race?
Whites make people bite them...everyone knows that.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #18
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Thug label is attachable based on actions and dress. If the NBAers want to dress like drug dealers, I'll call them gangstas. If they want to act like the Admiral or Grant Hill, they'll be treated as the gentlemen they have become.
So, you've got no problem with them as long as they know their place?

I remember the first time I met my father-in-law. He was very old-school (which is code for racist). We were watching a basketball game on television, and for two hours all I heard were complaints about how many "black fellas" there were in the NBA. It was an odd combination of resentment, fear and jealousy. Today, when I hear people talk about all the "thugs" in the NBA, I hear my father-in-law. The only difference is that my father-in-law didn't use the word "thug". He was much more direct.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:17 PM   #19
Archaea

Quote:
So, you've got no problem with them as long as they know their place?

I remember the first time I met my father-in-law. He was very old-school (which is code for racist). We were watching a basketball game on television, and for two hours all I heard were complaints about how many "black fellas" there were in the NBA. It was an odd combination of resentment, fear and jealousy. Today, when I hear people talk about all the "thugs" in the NBA, I hear my father-in-law. The only difference is that my father-in-law didn't use the word "thug". He was much more direct.
I've got no problem with race, just subcultures that are degrading and debilitating.

The professional of David Robinson or Grant Hill is something with which I identify. Karl Malone as the country kid is appreciated (even if it is part act).

The Eight Mile intercity approach is degrading, usually to women, and encourages misbehavior at the social level.

Allen Iverson went on my list ever since his high school imprisonment, and John Thompson showed himself to be nothing but a copout by recruiting him.

Even though Lambier attended ND, I wouldn't put him in the professional class.

I don't have a favorite NBA player any longer, but I enjoyed Dr. J, Moses Malone, the Iceman, and guys in that era. Wilt Chamberlain wasn't anything more than a great player, but I enjoyed watching him a time or two, even though Bill Russell's teams outperformed his teams. Chamberlain was in one of my mom's classes at Kansas.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Black NBA players in the 80's, did they go for a faux-gangsta image?

They went for the "good basketball player" image.

Some people defend the NBA gangsters in the name of freedom, but the irony is that it seems more like something they feel compelled to do.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote