cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trent Plaisted at the 4

I'm beginning to understand that there are very few people actually interested in talking about BYU basketball. Probably due to the lack of coverage.

So here's the question. If you are Trent and want to play in the NBA, are you better off as a 5 or a 4?

And why? Indy and many other argue he is better as a 4. I'm trying to understand the reasoning.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

They automatically think he is a better 4 because of his athleticism, the problem is he is not good enough defensively to guard 4s or 5s he is a tweener, as much as BYU has him play with his back to the basket, i would say he is more of a 5 than a 4. I also think he should be a much better weakside shot blocker with the way he can jump, if he gets stronger and can handle the bigger guys in the post and on the block on defense, and like you said he can establish himself down on the block he will be special, i also think he needs to develop some sort of face up game to play at the next level.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm beginning to understand that there are very few people actually interested in talking about BYU basketball. Probably due to the lack of coverage.

So here's the question. If you are Trent and want to play in the NBA, are you better off as a 5 or a 4?

And why? Indy and many other argue he is better as a 4. I'm trying to understand the reasoning.
In high school he played on the perimeter. It is also due to his athleticism. I think he is more suited to play the 4 and I think he is more likely to develop a better perimeter game than he is a post game.

However, my instinct is that it is moot as I think the better players will be Tavernari and Jean Carlos Otero. Miles comes home too late and I doubt MacGregor will improve that much.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Trent will need to play the 4 in the NBA as he is too small to play the 5. However, the skill that is most important for 4's and 5's in the NBA is interior D, post up offense, and rebounding. These are skills Trent needs to hone in college. Playing the 5 in college and honing those skills, IMHO, increases Trent's NBA value the most.

This works out well, because BYU needs him at the 5. Keena is the perfect 4 in the Cleve/Rose philosophy. Can score inside but can face the basket from 18 feet out, can hit the 15 ft jump shot, and can both defend on the perimeter and outside. Plaisted does not have these skills. He is a college center.

Trent will also need to develop these 4 skills: outside shot, facing the basket, perimeter D if he wants to play the 4 in the NBA, but I think those skills are easily attained than the inside skills, and NBA coaches seem more interested in inside players and can be patient in them developing the outside game.

Trent at the 4 in college is a bad idea, and IMHO, will never happen.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
In high school he played on the perimeter.
I get sick when I hear this kind of stuff. His high school coaches should be strung up and shot. You don't put a 6'11 guy on the perimeter, you put him down low, teach him to block shots and dominate the middle on D, teach him post moves, make him practice shots 8'-15', make him run lines if you catch him shooting 3's. Then you teach the other guys how to get him the ball so your big guy doesn't get frustrated and come outside.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I get sick when I hear this kind of stuff. His high school coaches should be strung up and shot. You don't put a 6'11 guy on the perimeter, you put him down low, teach him to block shots and dominate the middle on D, teach him post moves, make him practice shots 8'-15', make him run lines if you catch him shooting 3's. Then you teach the other guys how to get him the ball so your big guy doesn't get frustrated and come outside.
I think they used him as an inside/outside 4. He started on the perimeter and then would move inside and get offensive boards until he scored. It was obvious to me that he did not spend any time being taught how to play or defend the post position.

I agree with your senitment. It is obvious the first decent coaching he received was probably at college. Methinks this is why Majerus called him a "Peanut Brain."
Old 02-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He wasn't 6'11" in HS. He was in the 6'8" to 6'9" range.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
which probably made him the tallest kid in 90% of his games.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Two inches wouldn't change my response, unless my 6'8 guy came to me as skinny and as quick as Cummard. Plaisted playing a perimeter game at the high school level is a travesty.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You make an excellent point - a kid that tall needs to learn to play the post in high school, especially if he wants to move on and succeed at the next level.

That said, how much of the blame for Plaisted playing the perimeter in high school can be placed on his coach and how much should fall on Plaisted himself? If it was the coach who put them there, he should be strung up. If it was Plaisted not wanting to play the post, the coach should still be strung up for not being a coach and letting the player choose where he plays, but Plaisted should at the very least have his knuckles rapped by a ruler.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote