cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget about the past, Trent needs to improve his game NOW.

Esp. in the off-season.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Indy is right according to scout he is listed at 6'9 220 his senior year

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=777687

However it does say that he is "crafty around the basket" which to me implies that he did play down low.

Last edited by cougjunkie; 02-12-2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: because i cant spell
cougjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #13
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Also remember Josh Reisman, JC pg came in as a sophomore left shortly thereafter, would he have been better than Ben Murdock and gave us a little more depth? He would be a senior this year.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post

How it does say that he is "crafty around the basket" which to me implies that he did play down lown.
actually "crafty around the basket" was referring to girls.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You make an excellent point - a kid that tall needs to learn to play the post in high school, especially if he wants to move on and succeed at the next level.

That said, how much of the blame for Plaisted playing the perimeter in high school can be placed on his coach and how much should fall on Plaisted himself? If it was the coach who put them there, he should be strung up. If it was Plaisted not wanting to play the post, the coach should still be strung up for not being a coach and letting the player choose where he plays, but Plaisted should at the very least have his knuckles rapped by a ruler.
Trent was also a year younger so it would not surprise me if he was a bit intimidated. I recall his comments after a recruiting trip to Stanford or Florida State where he commented that he did not like the role that team envisioned for him, underneath and banging.

My guess is that it was a little of both. He probably played a center in a zone defense and just cleaned up the boards and then drifted on offense and scored most of his points on putbacks. Sorta of how Britton Johnsen was in HS. Britton just had the blessing of a great college coach who demanded Britton stop being an athlete and become a basketball player.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Trent needs help getting stronger. That should be his number one priority. His number two priority should be to watch game film with somebody informing how to push, with his body, bigger players out. His BBall IQ is low, unlike Tavernari who displays uncanny IQ for a freshman, from Nevada no less.

Any more Brazilians in the pipeline?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Also remember Josh Reisman, JC pg came in as a sophomore left shortly thereafter, would he have been better than Ben Murdock and gave us a little more depth? He would be a senior this year.
He was a junior. He RS at Gonzaga. Played as a freshman at Gonzaga. Tansferred to a JC. Transferred to BYU and then transferred someplace else.

My guess is that he was not very good or he wouldn't have had so many transfers.

It is Murdock and Fredette for next year and perhaps Lamont Morgan.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96

Quote:

However it does say that he is "crafty around the basket" which to me implies that he did play down low.
I think that means putbacks and using athleticism.

Much how he scores on BYU...some in transition, some putbacks on offensive rebounds and occasionally out of an offensive set.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #19
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
He was a junior. He RS at Gonzaga. Played as a freshman at Gonzaga. Tansferred to a JC. Transferred to BYU and then transferred someplace else.

My guess is that he was not very good or he wouldn't have had so many transfers.

It is Murdock and Fredette for next year and perhaps Lamont Morgan.
I remember him now. He played a little in garbage time. He wasn't that good. Never someone I anticipated would ever be the starting point guard.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #20
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I played against him in some pick up games, and while it is true that the older I get the better I was, he was not that good. Regular Joe's in pick up games were picking him apart......then again, not that that is a barometer of his suckiness.