cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oden vs. Durrant...

If Oden declares, and most think he will, then it will turn out to be a very interesting draft. Do you pick a potentially dominating big man? Or, do you pick a potentially dominating small forward?

Durrant is truly the real deal...he can rebound with the best of them (11+ rebounds a game), score at will (25+ppg) and he can play terrific defense. Oden can block the shots, pull down the rebounds and has a nice inside touch. I guess you can't go wrong with either of them...but as of now, I am leaning toward Durrant.

As a sidenote, due to injuries (Bogut missing 10+ games, Villanueva missing 30+ games and Redd missing 30+ games), the Bucks are going to have a good chance at the lottery. If they get it, can you imagine the youth and the potential of the Bucks:

Center: Andrew Bogut
PF: Charlie Villanueva
SF: Kevin Durrant
SG: Michael Redd
PG: Mo Williams

That would be a very fun team to watch.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
If Oden declares, and most think he will, then it will turn out to be a very interesting draft. Do you pick a potentially dominating big man? Or, do you pick a potentially dominating small forward?

Durrant is truly the real deal...he can rebound with the best of them (11+ rebounds a game), score at will (25+ppg) and he can play terrific defense. Oden can block the shots, pull down the rebounds and has a nice inside touch. I guess you can't go wrong with either of them...but as of now, I am leaning toward Durrant.

As a sidenote, due to injuries (Bogut missing 10+ games, Villanueva missing 30+ games and Redd missing 30+ games), the Bucks are going to have a good chance at the lottery. If they get it, can you imagine the youth and the potential of the Bucks:

Center: Andrew Bogut
PF: Charlie Villanueva
SF: Kevin Durrant
SG: Michael Redd
PG: Mo Williams

That would be a very fun team to watch.
I would have to say it depends on team fit and team need. If I have nothing, I think I may be inclined to lean towards Durrant as well. Although I don't think you can really go wrong with either one of them. As a GM, it's a choice I wouldn't complain about making.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I would have to say it depends on team fit and team need. If I have nothing, I think I may be inclined to lean towards Durrant as well. Although I don't think you can really go wrong with either one of them. As a GM, it's a choice I wouldn't complain about making.
I guess it depends on the team who gets the number one pick. Though Ainge caught heat for his association with Durant, they'd be stupid to take him over Oden IMO. Oden's not going to take too many shots away from Pierce like Durant will. And he's a presence inside that will free up the perimeter players and make Pierce that much more dangerous.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not terribly informed, but from what I know, I would take Durrant.

Because he seems to have more drive to excel than Oden.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not terribly informed, but from what I know, I would take Durrant.

Because he seems to have more drive to excel than Oden.
Oden learned to shoot free throws with his left hand when he had his broken wrist. And he made a good number of them too. That seems like drive to me. I think his drive though really is displayed on the defensive end. Case in point his potentially game saving block at the end of their elite eight game I believe. You can't coach that. If he can play within himself and stay out of foul trouble, which will be much easier at the next level, he'll dominate. He's up there with Gooden and Bynum as the next class of great centers.

I do love Durant's game though. You really can't go wrong with either. But I have never been one to believe you draft the best player possible regardless of need. That's why I think if a team like the Celtics get the number one pick they should take Oden. And if the Bucks should get it, they should take Durant since they have someone legitimate in Bogut at center already.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I think most GM's are driven more by fear than a genuine eye for talent. For this reason I think Oden is going first no matter who gets the pick. GM's are rightfully afraid that they will miss out on a franchise center.

It is a testament to just how good Durrant has been and can be that he is even in the discussion with Oden. He looks to me like a mixture of T-Mac and KG, which is an amazing combo. If placed in the same position I would love to think that I would pick Durrant, but I would probably end up taking Oden.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

The conventional wisdom has always been that legit good big men don't grow on trees, so on the rare occasion that one comes along, you grab him first.

I hadn't seen much of Oden play until the NCAA Tournament, and though he struggled to stay out of foul trouble until the final game, when he was on the floor he pretty much dominated. His game is a bit raw and unrefined.

Kevin Durrant is the best overall player coming out of college and though I know he can do just about everything at 6'9 I don't know how good he is at making his teammates better. Oden's presence automatically makes his other teammates better.

A month or two ago I said Durrant because of his incredible ability, but now I'm not so sure.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
He's up there with Gooden and Bynum as the next class of great centers.
Gooden? Drew Gooden? Am I missing something there? Do you mean Dwight Howard?

And Bynum? Sorry... but he's not in the same class... Laker-lover.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #9
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Gooden? Drew Gooden? Am I missing something there? Do you mean Dwight Howard?

And Bynum? Sorry... but he's not in the same class... Laker-lover.
Bynum and Oden are approximately the same age Bynum is three months older. My bet is that their stats are not going to be that far apart next year. Bynum has a tremendous upside as a more traditional big man than Oden, who is more athletic.

And yes I am a Laker lover.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Bynum and Oden are approximately the same age Bynum is three months older. My bet is that their stats are not going to be that far apart next year. Bynum has a tremendous upside as a more traditional big man than Oden, who is more athletic.

And yes I am a Laker lover.
Bynum has nowhere near the athleticism or potential of Oden or Howard.