cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

This is why nobody likes baseball anymore. There are so many stupid, unwritten rules that take the fun out of the game. Remember, baseball is the sport where yelling "Ha!" at a fielder is bush league but beaning a hitter in retaliation is appropriate. This type of thing tests my patience with this game.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
This is why nobody likes baseball anymore. There are so many stupid, unwritten rules that take the fun out of the game. Remember, baseball is the sport where yelling "Ha!" at a fielder is bush league but beaning a hitter in retaliation is appropriate. This type of thing tests my patience with this game.
except the national pastime still leads all sports at the gate.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 06-01-2007 at 08:02 PM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #13
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Who says beaning is appropriate? It is part of the game to "brush back" or move a hitter away from crowding the plate. Umps consistently eject the beanball pitchers - there is a difference. Can I go with you to Jacobs Field to see Ted Sizemore play - the same one that Sports Illustrated says is the "new" Lou Gehrig"? You know Brother Ted - quiet, unassuming and humble.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #14
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Thank you Chino - nothing more relaxing than a sunny day, a dog and a drink (Sprite of course). Even a Nationals game can be fun if you don't care who wins.....at any cost.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #15
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
No surprise. They have well over ten times as many games as football and twice as many as basketball.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #16
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Can I go with you to Jacobs Field to see Ted Sizemore play - the same one that Sports Illustrated says is the "new" Lou Gehrig"? You know Brother Ted - quiet, unassuming and humble.
Sorry, no Jacobs Field for me. I hate the Indians. But we can go to Great American to see Adam Dunn, the Matt Harpring of baseball.

It's not that I hate baseball. I enjoy the sport and watch it when I can. I do hate the whining associated with the "unwritten rules." Relax on the tradition and let the players loosen up and they might get some more fans.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #17
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I respectfully disagree. Sports is about more than winning - it teaches such life lessons as integrity, teamwork, respect for opponents, etc. You have unwittingly identified the conundrum faced by pro sports. In the name of winning at all costs, the NBA, NFL and MLB populate their teams with the Pacman Jones et. al. of the world. I would rather lose and keep my honor than win at any cost.

Golf is a great example of a sport where honor and integrity are prerequisites. They actually call penalties on themselves. You don't hear Tiger coughing during Phil's backswing. Is that OK in RockyWorld?

The old saying of you can "learn more about a person by playing golf with them" certainly applies. ARod was wrong and set a terrible example.
Your golf example is a poor one, because they are not the same. Not even close. Should a basketball player not yell or put his arms up in the air right when someone shoots a free throw like they do ALL the time? Should a defensive tackle not try and yell while a QB is making a call so that he doesn't interrupt the QB and Offensive Lineman. Baseball snobs deserve to be mocked for holding irrational thoughts like this.

He didn't break any rules or ethics. Win at all costs without cheating. He did that.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 06-01-2007 at 08:23 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #18
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Your golf example is a poor one, because they are not the same. Not even close. Should a basketball player not yell or put his arms up in the air right when someone shoots a free throw like they do ALL the time? Should a defensive tackle not try and yell while a QB is making a call so that he doesn't interrupt the QB and Offensive Lineman. Baseball snobs deserve to be mocked for holding irrational thoughts like this.

He didn't break any rules or ethics. Win at all costs without cheating. He did that.
"Baseball snobs"? Is that the best you can do? Call me after you grow into your jockstrap and have played any sport at an elite level. Maybe then we can discuss sports on an equal basis.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #19
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry, no Jacobs Field for me. I hate the Indians. But we can go to Great American to see Adam Dunn, the Matt Harpring of baseball.

It's not that I hate baseball. I enjoy the sport and watch it when I can. I do hate the whining associated with the "unwritten rules." Relax on the tradition and let the players loosen up and they might get some more fans.
I saw a game at the Jake last year. Can't remember who they were playing but the Indians won with walk-off homer in the bottom of the ninth. I thought the Jake was a decent stadium.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #20
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I saw a game at the Jake last year. Can't remember who they were playing but the Indians won with walk-off homer in the bottom of the ninth. I thought the Jake was a decent stadium.
I like the stadium and they have a good brown mustard on their dogs. I just don't like the Indians.