cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 07-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've started the remodeling.

Meaning I have started to destroy the bathroom, with no plan on how it is going to be rebuilt.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've started the remodeling.

Meaning I have started to destroy the bathroom, with no plan on how it is going to be rebuilt.
That's a good start.

I usually do something like this and then start to put it back together. Then, after about a week, my Dad looks at it and tells me everything that I've done wrong. So I get frustrated with him telling me to "look at it" (which is his way of thinking he is helping me rather than actually helping me) to the point that I call somebody and pay them to finish the job.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Will need new sink fixture, tiling, and new stand-up shower.

What is the in-thing with tile? Travertine?

Thought about doing the fixture thing and cabinet through Ikea.

Shower, not sure what the options are, but I just might get the standard corner plastic shell.

The fancy glass ones look prohibitively expensive.

any advice?
Not sure what your budget is, but if you do it yourself, or have help from family it is about 25% of the cost. I had people come in and give me bids on my kitchen. They were all in the range of 20-25K. I ended up doing it myself, after watching HGTV for a week, and did the whole thing for about 6K, including all new appliances. We put in tile, tile backspash, cabinets, lighting fitures, etc. We actually got our cabinets from IKEA. They are very easy to install and are pretty nice. The thing about cabinets is unless you get custom they will probably be made out of particle board. That was my worry about buying the IKEA cabinets. We went to Home Depot to see what their prefab caninets were like, and it was the same thing. So I wouldn't worry to much about the quality of the IKEA stuff. As for the shower... I am not sure what you are going to do with the doors, but I would estimate about $400 for the whole thing. Let me know if you have any questions about this stuff. Or if you want to see installed IKEA cabinets in a house. Although I am a geeky accountant.... I have done a lot of handyman stuff.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dan View Post
Not sure what your budget is, but if you do it yourself, or have help from family it is about 25% of the cost. I had people come in and give me bids on my kitchen. They were all in the range of 20-25K. I ended up doing it myself, after watching HGTV for a week, and did the whole thing for about 6K, including all new appliances. We put in tile, tile backspash, cabinets, lighting fitures, etc. We actually got our cabinets from IKEA. They are very easy to install and are pretty nice. The thing about cabinets is unless you get custom they will probably be made out of particle board. That was my worry about buying the IKEA cabinets. We went to Home Depot to see what their prefab caninets were like, and it was the same thing. So I wouldn't worry to much about the quality of the IKEA stuff. As for the shower... I am not sure what you are going to do with the doors, but I would estimate about $400 for the whole thing. Let me know if you have any questions about this stuff. Or if you want to see installed IKEA cabinets in a house. Although I am a geeky accountant.... I have done a lot of handyman stuff.
So, did you do your kitchen plumbing yourself? We're putting in new countertops, sink, and fixtures and the countertop guy said we needed to call a plumber to hook up the sink and the fixtures. Is this something I could do myself (including the butt crack peaking out of low-hanging jeans), or is it best to avoid the hassle and hire a plumber? Would I need a bunch of plumbing tools?

Any advise from a geeky accountant would be greatly appreciated.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #15
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
So, did you do your kitchen plumbing yourself? We're putting in new countertops, sink, and fixtures and the countertop guy said we needed to call a plumber to hook up the sink and the fixtures. Is this something I could do myself (including the butt crack peaking out of low-hanging jeans), or is it best to avoid the hassle and hire a plumber? Would I need a bunch of plumbing tools?

Any advise from a geeky accountant would be greatly appreciated.
The plumbing wasn't hard at all. That was probably the easiest part of the project. We used pvc pipe fittings for the drain/trap. If you go to Home Depot or Lowes they have all sorts of these. You have to cut them to size and it works fine. Hooking up the facet/fixutres is noting more than connecting lines. Make sure you use some plumbers dop to seal the threads. It isn't hard. Let me know if you have more questions.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Dan, you have given me the courage to go forward. However, I may be cursing your name next week, which, when you think about it, doesn't really mean that much.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #17
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Will need new sink fixture, tiling, and new stand-up shower.

What is the in-thing with tile? Travertine?

Thought about doing the fixture thing and cabinet through Ikea.

Shower, not sure what the options are, but I just might get the standard corner plastic shell.

The fancy glass ones look prohibitively expensive.

any advice?
We just did this and spent close to 4k I did the ripping out of stuff and the tiling while the contractor did the rest. We gutted the thing as the subfloor needed to be fixed. I came away very happy with the results.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #18
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

So, are you going to post any pictures or what? Mike or MRD?
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I gave up and we are going to contract.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #20
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: