cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Anybody else watch the series Mad Men?

It's on AMC, apparently. I hadn't even heard of it until my wife started bringing home the DVDs of the first season. It's not too bad -- kind of an interesting take on American life around 1960.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I caught the last 15 minutes or so of one episode and thought it seemed like an interesting show. I just don't remember what day it was on or what time.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

I've watched it off and on (Sunday nights AMC.) As you say it is an interesting picture of old school workplace relationships as well as family dynamics.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
I've watched it off and on (Sunday nights AMC.) As you say it is an interesting picture of old school workplace relationships as well as family dynamics.
Yeah, a few of the realistic but disturbing things:

1. The kids jump all around the cars, over the seats, etc. while the cars are moving (I remember doing that when I was a kid).

2. People drive drunk and nobody tries to stop them.

3. A doctor lectures a lady not to be loose when he gives her a birth control pill. (In a condescending way -- you probably have to see it).

4. People smoke constantly during meetings and smoke while doing all kinds of other things at the same time.

5. Blatant anti-semitism and racism, and of course sexism.

Just a few things that come to mind -- it's a good show and I think it's true that while we tend to idealize the "good ol' days", our society has improved in some very significant ways over the last 50 years.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
3. A doctor lectures a lady not to be loose when he gives her a birth control pill. (In a condescending way -- you probably have to see it).
That scene made me laugh. I don't imagine that sort of advice is dispensed anymore.