cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #51
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Can't answer your question. However by your continued insistence that there has to be more, can I assume if it turns out to be just attendance, you would join those who condemn the Bishop.

I say those, because I am disagreeing with the Bishop if it is just attendance, but I wouldn't attack him personally. The system is set up where if he believes attendance alone disqaulifies the kid, that is his right.
IF it was just attendance, then yes, I would be upset with the bishop. I would also question the bishop if it turns out he has the rule and the only person he kicked out was an athlete.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #52
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
IF it was just attendance, then yes, I would be upset with the bishop. I would also question the bishop if it turns out he has the rule and the only person he kicked out was an athlete.
If I were to guess, I would guess it is an attitude problem. I would guess the Bishop laid down the law and didn't get the response he was expecting or hoping for. I know in my younger days when the Bishop and I conflicted, I said yes sir I will and walked out thinking, what a jerk.

Now that I am older, my answer would be, I don't agree with you sir and my answer is no. I would however walk out thinking he and I disagree and I wouldn't want his job.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #53
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If I were to guess, I would guess it is an attitude problem. I would guess the Bishop laid down the law and didn't get the response he was expecting or hoping for.
This is my guess as well.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #54
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
This is my guess as well.
You have to keep in mind that whatever this was, it was an act of love on the part of the Bishop.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #55
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
You have to keep in mind that whatever this was, it was an act of love on the part of the Bishop.
So true. As evidenced by the Stake President telling the father not to do something that would mess up his kid further, (something to that affect).

Some people just don't accept love very well.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #56
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Quote:
So true. As evidenced by the Stake President telling the father not to do something that would mess up his kid further, (something to that affect).

Some people just don't accept love very well.
So I guess you two consider the father an objective source.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #57
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
So I guess you two consider the father an objective source.
I don't automatically consider him a liar. I have stated over and over again I don't know the details.

I can certainly envision someone saying what the SP was reported to say, saying that to him. I could imagine if you were his SP you saying something like that.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #58
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't automatically consider him a liar. I have stated over and over again I don't know the details.
I don't automatically consider him a liar either. Just not a reliable source.

Quote:
I can certainly envision someone saying what the SP was reported to say, saying that to him. I could imagine if you were his SP you saying something like that.
You have an overactive imagination.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #59
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Ray Giacoletti "resigned."
Gary Crowton "resigned."
And this player was dismissed for "not attending church enough."

Similarly, those in trouble with the law often make deals for cooperating with the officials, which result in lesser charges and a lesser sentence.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #60
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What more could there be, if it's not an honor code issue? The Honor Code confirmed that, so it's not sex and drugs. If it's not those, then sparse BYU attendance is idiotic. There really can't be much to the story.

There are very few things which can dismiss a player. I know people in our culture wish to believe and to trust unfailingly in authority, but just look at the possibilities. There aren't many.
Perhaps any of the following:

- Refusing to sustain his local leader(s)
- Refusing to sustain the prophet
- Dishonesty that the bishop somehow found out about, that the player refused to own up to and take responsibility for, refused to repent of.
- Refusing to be a home teacher (i.e. tells bishop that he doesn't want to home teach, bishop tells him that the Lord wants him to be a home teacher, tells bishop to go to hell - something like that).
- Doesn't attend enough, Bishop talks to him and asks him to attend more, tells Bishop to go to hell - something like that.

I guess when you boil it down, all of these things are specific manifestations of the more general case of "bad attitude". I'm not saying it was any of these things - just providing some possibilities to your query of "what more could there be?".

- Kanarraville is in Southern Utah - between Cedar City and St. George. It is likely that you got the wrong Wayne Childs.

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 02-03-2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Thought better of my comments..
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote