cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Your Opinion on Chiropracters

Some people swear by them. Some swear about them.

Where do you stand?

From the middle of my upper back,,,just between my shoulder blades and a little bit up I've been suffering from muscle spasms and very sore back for years.

I've tried chiros before because of my headache issues and can honestly say I never felt any differently.

One side of me thinks they create a dependence and aren't very honest,,,,but the other side of me really wants to believe they can help me.

Where do you stand?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I am all for them, especially when I have back problems.

I don't see one on a regular basis, but I have noticed that after an adjustment, I feel much better - and it just isn't my spine/back. I feel better in my overall health.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:10 AM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I have some close friends who are chiropractors and they are all quacks. I don't believe in it. I have a friend who swears by it and gets adjusted every week. I tried explaining to him that if he has to get adjusted every week then it's probably indicative of something more serious that his chiropractor can't cure. But I am sure he is his chiropractor's favorite patient.

It just seems that most chiropractors, including my two friends that practice are really into the holistic medicine stuff and prescribe all sorts of alternative medicine along with their adjustments.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:15 AM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

Where do you stand?

From the middle of my upper back,,,just between my shoulder blades and a little bit up I've been suffering from muscle spasms and very sore back for years.
My only advice would be to have x-rays done and reviewed by as physician before letting anyone screw around with your spine.

After that, I highly recommend yoga. (I'm trying to imagine our Rocky in yoga class. )
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:59 AM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I wouldn't go to chiroprators. I'm sure Dr. Waters agrees.

I heartily endorse Barbara's yoga suggestion.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-17-2007 at 04:08 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

Where do you stand?

I've tried chiros before because of my headache issues and can honestly say I never felt any differently.

One side of me thinks they create a dependence and aren't very honest,,,,but the other side of me really wants to believe they can help me.

Where do you stand?
all i know is that I threw my back out in February and couldn't move. I had an MRI done saw my physician and I finally decided to see a chiro... In a couple of weeks they had me feeling 500% better. Once I got better I stopped going as there was point in going because my back was healed....

My point.. they are good if you have back problems... quacks with other problems
Old 05-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

think of chiros as a specialized form of physical therapists. They can assist with some types of back discomfort, they can also help you if need "active release" a la sports injuries, but they should be used sparingly otherwise.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
think of chiros as a specialized form of physical therapists. They can assist with some types of back discomfort, they can also help you if need "active release" a la sports injuries, but they should be used sparingly otherwise.
I don't know - I think all physical therapists are special.

There are quacks in every profession. Chiropractic seems to have more than their fair share of them. They spend a good portion of their training in alternative, holistic treatment methods. As a result, many extrapolate their education and specialty into areas they ought not to go. Visceral manipulation in one of these areas that I have issue with, among others.

I think they certainly have their place in the medical model. The evidence concerning the validity of adjustments/manipulations/mobilization is out there. However, the bulk of the research is not being done by chiro, but by PTs. Like MRD says, a good chiro can definitely help with spinal mechanical misalignments, just as long as they leave it at that.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post

There are quacks in every profession. Chiropractic seems to have more than their fair share of them. They spend a good portion of their training in alternative, holistic treatment methods. As a result, many extrapolate their education and specialty into areas they ought not to go. Visceral manipulation in one of these areas that I have issue with, among others.

I think they certainly have their place in the medical model. The evidence concerning the validity of adjustments/manipulations/mobilization is out there. However, the bulk of the research is not being done by chiro, but by PTs. Like MRD says, a good chiro can definitely help with spinal mechanical misalignments, just as long as they leave it at that.
What is "active release"? Is that visceral manipulation?
Old 05-18-2007, 04:46 AM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post

I agree with this. It's when the chiro who adjusted me then tells me I need to start taking ultra high doses of vitamin C daily among other things that can only be found at Wild Oats.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote