cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default why is swimming so difficult for me?

I'm reasonably fit. I can do a century on my bike. I play basketball up to 5 times a week.

But after I did the 100 yard swim check yesterday, I felt like I had just run the 400m dash.

I don't think my technique is terrible. I was doing the breast stroke and the sidestroke because it is easier for me to breathe, and I get more tired doing the crawl.

I realize the breaststroke is using muscles I don't normally use all that much, but I don't think that explains it.

One problem that I have is that I don't float. I sink like a stone. To pass the float portion, I basically have to fill my lungs with air and use my hands to tread water as I am on my back (not really floating). If I am having to not only go forward, but also keep myself afloat, is that taking all my extra energy?

When I was young it was very hard for me to tread water for two minutes, while the people next to me were happy as clams not winded at all.

So what's the deal?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm the same way. when I was training for my triathalon It would absolutely kill me to swim 12 laps in the pool. My wife is the exact opposite and can swim for hours
Old 05-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Flash was the same way. He ran cross country and is in way better shape than me, but when it came to swimming he could barely make it down and back. Once he figured out how to stop fighting the water, though, he took off and now he swims circles around me.

You probably need to get your buoyancy figured out. Or perhaps you're right and you don't have any buoyancy!?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm reasonably fit. I can do a century on my bike. I play basketball up to 5 times a week.

But after I did the 100 yard swim check yesterday, I felt like I had just run the 400m dash.

I don't think my technique is terrible. I was doing the breast stroke and the sidestroke because it is easier for me to breathe, and I get more tired doing the crawl.

I realize the breaststroke is using muscles I don't normally use all that much, but I don't think that explains it.

One problem that I have is that I don't float. I sink like a stone. To pass the float portion, I basically have to fill my lungs with air and use my hands to tread water as I am on my back (not really floating). If I am having to not only go forward, but also keep myself afloat, is that taking all my extra energy?

When I was young it was very hard for me to tread water for two minutes, while the people next to me were happy as clams not winded at all.

So what's the deal?
do you have a bunch of metal plates and screws?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not the float test, but it involves three concepts, technique, time in water and water fitness. I sink and do not float. Most great swimmers can't float without lung inflation and arm movement. (Not saying I'm a great swimmer, but the body density of male swimmers tends to be such that they don't float).

First, swimming involves relaxed power, starting mostly from shoulders and lats. It's not weightlifter power, but small muscle power that you will not acquire unless you swim. So in effect, you borrow power from other muscle groups thereby exhausting energy supplies that should not be tapped.

Second, technique is key, as it's more akin to skiing well or sex, intent doesn't matter, but fine technique does. I've had thousands of hours to improve my technique and if I don't focus it still requires improvement.

Third, to develop the proper small and large muscle fitness, you need to devote time. Swimming requires time and nothing can give you results without time. Gifted athletes will progress faster but unless you devote time, you will not progress in swimming.

I would not bother with breaststroke or sidestroke and work on Australian crawl.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-29-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike, I'd bet lots and lots of money that you are simply going too fast. I experienced the same feelings when I first started swimming again. In fact, I felt like I couldn't even properly get a breath. But slow down significantly and get a song in your head to keep your ryhthm and you'll feel much much better. Once I started doing that I could put in much longer sets.

Currently I'm trying to get used to open water swimming. With no way to orient myself I think I'm swimming and extra half mile just zig zagging.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Mike, I'd bet lots and lots of money that you are simply going too fast. I experienced the same feelings when I first started swimming again. In fact, I felt like I couldn't even properly get a breath. But slow down significantly and get a song in your head to keep your ryhthm and you'll feel much much better. Once I started doing that I could put in much longer sets.

Currently I'm trying to get used to open water swimming. With no way to orient myself I think I'm swimming and extra half mile just zig zagging.
Swimming straight is difficult. You need a reference point, pick up your head every fourth stroke and to balance your stroke by breathing every third stroke.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Swimming straight is difficult. You need a reference point, pick up your head every fourth stroke and to balance your stroke by breathing every third stroke.
I do try to breathe every third stroke. Do you alternate sides? Also, I'm intrigued by picking up the head. I assume you mean pick up and look forward? This may be just what I need.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I do try to breathe every third stroke. Do you alternate sides? Also, I'm intrigued by picking up the head. I assume you mean pick up and look forward? This may be just what I need.
I am a decent swimmer. To illustrate this point, I swam ten years competitively and tried out for BYU's men's team right when they were winning conference. I gave it up then and never returned until 26 years later. Within a month of two practices one hour per day, I was already swimming toward the top of my age gropu, but my initial efforts were thwarted because pool swimming and open water swimming are NOT the same. You don't have a line at the bottom.

Great open water swimmers alternate breathing and look at a mountain or other fixed vantage point and aim for that. When I do that I succeed. Often my vantange point is simply the buoy. But you must correct or you will be quite a bit off course. I know, I've been there.