cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #11
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Any update from our in-house Grand Marshall on the finer points of the upcoming Tour?

I am still hoping to come down for the stage, although my schedule is starting to muddy itself up, so I hope it still works.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I get a vest and whistle!

Sadly, due to the demands of work, my schedule has fallen apart the last week or two. As a result I was unable to attend the orientation meeting last night as I am out of town this week. My freind attended and he was going to pick up my written materials. Bottom line, I have no information but hope to get it when I return home on Saturday.

Amusing story: I was very annoyed that I had to miss the orientation so I e-mailed the volunteer coordinator and explained my predicament and expressed my strong interest in still pariticapating and asked if there could be second orientation. She was nice, told me there was no chance of a second orientation and that if my frined got the written materials and I just showed up on race day that everything would be fine.

Being the goober that I am, I then responded by peppering her with two or maybe three hundred questions, such as where, where do I park, what time, where do I check in, etc., etc.

Clearly trying to calm me down while letting me know I was being a goober, she wrote back saying "Don't worry, just show up on race morning and once you get your special vest and your shiny new whistle I am sure everything will be fine." Sooo, I can tell you that I get a vest and a whistle, and that's about it. I still plan on doing the Course (not Grand) Marshall thing, but I still have no real info.

Btw, I am embarrassed to admit that I am no racer or even an impressive or strong rider. My cyber image vastly exceeds my pudgy and weak-legged reality. That's not to say that I don't love bicycling, becasue I do, but I am no specimen, having more in common with the sort of person that rides a beach cruiser with a basket and a bell than with somoene riding a CF dura-ace equipped roadie (Arch?). I ahve enjoyed people thinking of me as a fast rider, but if we actually meet at the race, I just wanted you all to know that I iwll not be hdiing behind the fat guy; I am the fat guy.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I get a vest and whistle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
I ahve enjoyed people thinking of me as a fast rider, but if we actually meet at the race, I just wanted you all to know that I iwll not be hdiing behind the fat guy; I am the fat guy.
Ditto here.

Il Padrino knows me and can attest, I'm an out of shape non-athlete. Sometimes my dogs like me though.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #14
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I think that pretty much goes the same for anyone with a wife, kids, job and a church calling. Or at least someone who cares about these things.

Once college is over and the bills start rolling in, there just isn't enough time to fully invest into becoming a competitive athlete.

So I'll continue with my mediocre riding (which I greatly enjoy) and stay in tune with internet message boards, where everyone (including myself) is just a bit stronger, fast and sexier than in real life. Its good for the ego.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote