cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default so if i were interested in starting....

what should i do?

im a big guy, almost 6'5".....

im fairly athletic....

just would like to ride instead of run.

how much should i intially invest? what do you do during the winter? what type of bike should i buy? what are some solid beginner training routines?

thanks people.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You should identify your budget

and then get a proper size from a local bike shop.

Once you've done that, see if the local bike shop has a package which you can afford or shop Ebay where you buy twice the bike for the same price.

You should devote at least three days, preferably four days per week. A couple days can be for an hour or two, with one or two days being long days, three to four hour rides.

Initially, you will want to just ride and get muscle fitness. This will take, even at your young age, several months.

After that, come back to us I will discuss interval and hill training. You will also need to locate a local group for group rides.

Finally, you will need to invest in a trainer, to train indoors. These can be picked up cheap. However, a CompuTrainer is better but much more expensive. This allows you to train during winter months at your time and selection.

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Archaea speaks the truth. You want a bike that fits properly or you'll be miserable. IMHO you don't have to invest much more than $1,000 bucks on your first bike (especially if you find one on ebay). I wouldn't go anywhere below 105's on the componentry (Ultegra is pretty much as cheap as 105's now anyway).

The main thing you need to remember is to initially work on your endurance with long slow distance. You want to train at a heart rate that is 80% or less than your max HR (220 - your age) and start putting in the miles (minimum 2 hour rides). When you get a base fitness down, then you can start doing interval training and max HR training etc..

Careful, it's highly addictive.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
fusnik11

Default wow....

a thousand bucks out of the gates?

i was thinking about buying some ten speed schwinn at a garage sale and riding it around for a couple of months.

i used to ride my bike everyday until i got into high school and grew like a weed over a couple of years....

i guess with school and how much time is needed to cycle ill be looking at 5 o'clock mornings....

sounds like hell, and not addicting at all.

:lol:
Old 08-30-2005, 07:24 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default As an old fart that has been in and out of riding shape

numerous times over my life, let me add a moderating comment. IF you can find time, 2 hour rides and rides 4 days a week are clearly and excellent way to build stamina and capacity. However, sometimes life intrudes on these schedules. IF so, go for a shorter ride. Only have 30 minutes? Better to go for 30 minutes than not at all. Riding is fun. Have fun. Heck, if you don't plan on racing, don't even worry about your average speed. In any event, set some goals that are your goals and then do your best to stick to them, but no matter what just ride whenever you can.

Steel is right; it is addicting. Also, bike fit is very important. Ebay is fine, but it can also be useful to cultivate a relationship with a Local Bike SHop that can help you upgrade and change out gear over time. Check out the local options and make sure you are getting the right frame size, especially if you buy from Ebay.

Good luck. See you in Solvang.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:43 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: As an old fart that has been in and out of riding shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
numerous times over my life, let me add a moderating comment. IF you can find time, 2 hour rides and rides 4 days a week are clearly and excellent way to build stamina and capacity. However, sometimes life intrudes on these schedules. IF so, go for a shorter ride. Only have 30 minutes? Better to go for 30 minutes than not at all. Riding is fun. Have fun. Heck, if you don't plan on racing, don't even worry about your average speed. In any event, set some goals that are your goals and then do your best to stick to them, but no matter what just ride whenever you can.

Good points. I actually rarely get out more than 2 times per week. I do a 3-5 hour ride on Saturdays and if I'm lucky I get in an evening ride on Tuesday or Thursday. Sometimes both. I'd be much faster if I could get out 4 times a week but as you said, life can intrude.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
Archaea

Default How dare life intrude into cycling!

Blasphemy.

Dumb things such as football games. Gladly most football games are afternoon events.

Church only takes up three hours, unless you're a Bishop.

Three words: Fit, Fit and the third, Fit.

Next is learn the bike. It will break and you can pay or do it yourself. I try and then pay.

You will learn cheap ways, don't worry.

Get fitted at a Bike Shop and buy on EBay with a charged fitting at the Bike Shop.

This weekend's events will curtail my riding, dang it all. I will only get two rides on Wednesday, no ride Friday and one Saturday and Sunday. So mine will be limited due to Football.

Heresy I know.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:39 PM   #8
fusnik11

Default so yalls suggestion would be....

a. go to a bike shop...

b. buy a bike off of ebay...

c. get on the saddle and start riding...

seems so much more complicated than what i was thinking...

a. go to multiple garage sales on saturday, possibly the di...

b. haggle people until they give me a bike around the $20 range...

c. pretend im into riding but in reality only ride my bike once a week...
Old 08-30-2005, 08:46 PM   #9
Archaea

Default if you do that, you won't have as much fun

plus showing up for group rides let's you check out the cute single gals.

None of us married guys do that, but you could.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:32 PM   #10
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the bike for you to get... gotta think about taking the honeys out.

It's time for the Fus-tastic Voyage.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote