cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 04:37 AM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You guys covered it pretty well

and we have all done this before, but here are my two, or few, bits:

I am a heavy guy and I have NEVER had a problem with an aluminum frame. IOW, I agree with Arch that Alum is best for heavier riders, but I disagree strongly with the idea aluminum breaks with hard use. I have several aluminium bikes which I have ridden very hard and I have never had a probelm with any of them, except when I was hit by a car (that's in another thread)

Whether you get Campy or Shimano and what model of each you get depends on budget and use. FOr example, if you want a long spread in your rear gear cluster you may need to get xtr even on a road bike (such as my rear derailleur on my touring frame).

in genreal, and assuming road racing type set-up, Campy is prettiest but typically more expensive. Campy STI levers are easier to repair when the internal spring breaks. Shimano's internal spring cannot be replaced. Doesn't happen often, but long distance tourers hate Shimano STI for this very reason.

As to Shimano, I hate to be a gear geek, but I agree with Arch that there is a perceptible difference between 105, ultegra nad dura ace. The biggest jump, I think, is between 105 and Ultegra. The difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace is very small and not at all worth the cost (although Dura Ace shure is purty). I think Ultegra is worth the $, but Dura Ace ain't.

Good luck and the main thing is to get a bike that feels good and that you like becasue then you will ride it and that is the main thing, after all.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Creekster is more technical than I

and I agree with most everything he wrote.

Perhaps I don't articulate myself when I discuss aluminum frame breakdown. Now I'm only relating what heavier riders relate to me. For example, in crit riding, riders like a frame that converts all energy to wheels with verylittle flex. I am told that aluminum loses its spunk after a few seasons. That's the breakdown I was discussing.

I have heard about the internal spring breakdown for Shimano, but the cost is so minimal there, you just replace it; whereas Campy is modular, breaks down more often, so you need to be able to replace.

If price were no object, I'd go with Campy Record group, as it's the prettiest and geekiest set up. You will also want to know on what setups your local shop likes to work on, unless you intend to become the bike mechanic.

As Creekster says, it's what gets you out there that matters, and fit is most important. You will need to adjust as you become more proficient in riding. Factors to consider will be measurements of your legs, your torso, your arms and your flexibility, or lack thereof.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:54 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This is all great info

and I appreciate the input from all of you. I'm actually looking forward to this, which really isn't my personality.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:11 PM   #14
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

For you guys who know what you're doing -- or at least feign it very well -- do you know anything about Ibex bikes? The company doesn't sell in stores "in order to cut out the middle man and keep prices down." It appears to offer better components than for the prices I've seen elsewhere, but I wasn't sure if anyone here is familiar with the bikes or ever even seen them before. Keep in mind, I'm thinking of these bikes as compared to comparable models, not a top of the line LeMond or Calfee here like you big boys are riding, but something that's a step up from my banana-seat Huffy "Space Invaders" bike. Sweet bike with an awesome black glittery seat.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:23 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seems okay

if you don't want to spend much money, but the price isn't riveting. I examined the Aprisa Pro, and didn't find anything objectionable, nor exciting.

It sounds as if it's a workable alternative. What I don't know is how it is to fix, if you need to.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:54 PM   #16
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head
For you guys who know what you're doing -- or at least feign it very well -- do you know anything about Ibex bikes? The company doesn't sell in stores "in order to cut out the middle man and keep prices down."
I looked at Ibex when I was first bike shopping. It's been a while, but I think that I came to the conclusion that the frames were where they were saving their money. I have a vague memory of a bike shop mechanic explaining to me why their frames sucked, but he of course had a vested interest in me not buying one.

Just as an FYI, I also looked on ebay a lot while bike shopping. There were a few sellers selling european sounding brands at excellent prices and with good componentry. I was tempted to buy, but during my research I found that they owned the pages that they were linking to and had tried to make them look like the manufacturers page. When I emailed them and called them on it, they stopped responding to any of my questions. If I remember the brands I'll let you know, but I'll bet you've already come across it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:22 AM   #17
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

The Ibex seems okay for the price.

I don't know anything about the 6061 alum frame.

I would think that the Aprisa Elite 5500 would be a good starter bike. Like we discussed earlier, if your looking at improved performance, you may consider the 6500 model. It has the Ultegra 27 speed set-up, nice wheelset, comfortable saddle and handlebars, and its about 3 pounds lighter than the 4400 model. Doesn't sound like much, but it makes a big difference when you're climbing hills.

The aluminum frame is probably fine, but like Steel mentioned, I would look into a little bit more, as I don't know anything about it.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:39 AM   #18
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to be safe out on the road so I need to get a good helmet. I've narrowed it down to these on eBay...

Old School Bell Reebok Pump Helmet (I always wanted Pumps!)

PINK-SCOOTER-GIRL-HELMET (It's a fashion statement.)

HJC (Who doesn't want to look like Ponch from CHiPs?)

Please don't try and outbid me.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote