cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Food Storage

This is about last on my list on things I'm not doing in my life that I need to repent for and change.

1. Major pain in the ass purchasing, storing, rotating.
2. Living off food storage for a few weeks is barely a more favorable outcome in my eyes than starving to death.
3. Expensive--or at least not without any expense.
4. When's the last time someone you know has starved to death?
5. The only situations I can imagine where food storage would be beneficial are situations where food storage would be only marginally beneficial. As in, food prices temporarily spike and having a food storage would save me some of my savings.
6. I don't have a gun to protect my food storage in the event of a major world catastrophe. MW types will end up with my food storage anyway.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

this is absolutely the wrong type of thinking and the conclusions are way, way off.

If you can't think of a scenario that would lead to a health-threatening food shortage in the USA, then I would suggest you don't follow current events.

For example, if a situation comes up where leaving your home and going to public places leads to a substantial chance you will die of communicable disease, what do you think that implies about food availability?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
this is absolutely the wrong type of thinking and the conclusions are way, way off.

If you can't think of a scenario that would lead to a health-threatening food shortage in the USA, then I would suggest you don't follow current events.

For example, if a situation comes up where leaving your home and going to public places leads to a substantial chance you will die of communicable disease, what do you think that implies about food availability?
Are you talking about current events or the the TV show 24?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If any American did a hard headed, rational cost-benefit or risk-utility analysis on food storage they would not do it. Food storage would become necessary in the kind of apocalyptic scenario we read about in The Road. Possible, to be sure, but how likely? Otherwise, there are all kinds of sources of relief available from government or charities if your should be caught in a wildfire or other natural disaster or lose your job, etc.

You need to weigh the risk of ever really needing your food storage against the recognition that you have many immediate demands on your money and time that are present, concrete and real. Food storage is like fall-out shelters, not insurance. And even with insurance there comes a point where a risk-utility analysis is in order. Do the risk-utility analysis and you'll sleep well ignoring food storage.

Food storage is for kooks.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
If any American did a hard headed, rational cost-benefit or risk-utility analysis on food storage they would not do it. Food storage would become necessary in the kind of apocalyptic scenario we read about in The Road. Possible, to be sure, but how likely? Otherwise, there are all kinds of sources of relief available from government or charities if your should be caught in a wildfire or other natural disaster or lose your job, etc.

You need to weigh the risk of ever really needing your food storage against the recognition that you have many immediate demands on your money and time that are present, concrete and real. Food storage is like fall-out shelters, not insurance. And even with insurance there comes about where a risk-utility analysis is in order. Do the risk-utility analysis and you'll sleep well ignoring food storage.

Food storage is for kooks.
You won't pay $600 to ensure your children's future. That's fine. The future doesn't need you. Natural selection.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
You won't pay $600 to ensure your children's future. That's fine. The future doesn't need you. Natural selection.
Kook alert.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Are you talking about current events or the the TV show 24?
If there is a flu pandemic, there will likely be millions of Americans who die.

What do you think will happen to commerce in a flu pandemic?

Experts are wringing their hands about a pandemic and it is on the FRONT-BURNER.

You leave your home to get food and return home, and your entire family dies. It is not science fiction. It is the history of the world.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

One thing for sure, if I lived outside of Utah, maybe even in Utah, I wouldn't let anyone know I had a big food storage program. If the calamities you are worried about happen, they will be coming for your food.

I am helping my kids to get food storage and will be buying them sub machine guns as part of the program.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Kook alert.
I REALLY hope there is internet communication during the hard times, if they come, so I can ask how you are doing.

I will offer help, but no doubt you will be too far away.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
One thing for sure, if I lived outside of Utah, maybe even in Utah, I wouldn't let anyone know I had a big food storage program. If the calamities you are worried about happen, they will be coming for your food.

I am helping my kids to get food storage and will be buying them sub machine guns as part of the program.
I have a plan, and no, I am not revealing it.

All I am doing is encouraging others to have a plan as well.

I bet my ward has almost no food storage.