cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road
Default LDS Apologia - More Harm Than Good?

Recent posts here regarding LDS history, interpretations of Clement, etc. have been thought provoking. In an effort to gain an objective viewpoint, I have been reading a great deal of FARMS, FAIR and other LDS apologia. I find myself at a crossroads and experiencing a crisis of faith.

Yesterday AA used the phrase "agenda based scholarship" which in my mind perfectly captures the essence of the LDS apologists. Their works commence with a predetermined objective to criticize the content, source materials and author's scholarship/worthiness in regards to any and all written works not in compliance with the whitewashed version of church history.

In the past week I have read FARMS articles highly critical of Todd Compton, Quinn, the BoM DNA findings, etc. I was surprised to find Compton the target of such vitriolic criticism for his findings on the polygamous escapades of JS.

The apologists' dogmatic and at times emotional approach is unconvincing and in my mind causes more problems than they attempt to resolve.

The balance of credibility weighs heavily in favor of the independent historians.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is this causing a crisis of faith? You are free to ignore the apologists.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Requiem is exposed as Elder Packer in drag?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Many apologists are sophists, yes.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the problem with apologetics? You get more viewpoints of the same subject matter and you can weigh the different viewpoints and arguments and decide for yourself.

Some apologists are better than others, but the same could be easily said about "neutral" (as if such a thing existed) scholars.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Recent posts here regarding LDS history, interpretations of Clement, etc. have been thought provoking. In an effort to gain an objective viewpoint, I have been reading a great deal of FARMS, FAIR and other LDS apologia. I find myself at a crossroads and experiencing a crisis of faith.

Yesterday AA used the phrase "agenda based scholarship" which in my mind perfectly captures the essence of the LDS apologists. Their works commence with a predetermined objective to criticize the content, source materials and author's scholarship/worthiness in regards to any and all written works not in compliance with the whitewashed version of church history.

In the past week I have read FARMS articles highly critical of Todd Compton, Quinn, the BoM DNA findings, etc. I was surprised to find Compton the target of such vitriolic criticism for his findings on the polygamous escapades of JS.

The apologists' dogmatic and at times emotional approach is unconvincing and in my mind causes more problems than they attempt to resolve.

The balance of credibility weighs heavily in favor of the independent historians.
All apologetics' work is dominated by "agenda based scholarship," by definition.

That isn't necessarily all bad, either.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Obviously, true LDS history is much different than the sanitized version I grew up with - and to think I have CG to thank for helping me see the light (jk).

In some respects it is a source of anger and frustration to consider that there was and is a certain of degree of brainwashing of LDS youth. With the plethora of new information available, it is a certainty there are many like myself who are troubled to find the truth is intentionally withheld. Contrary to Nicholson's famous line, we can handle the truth. And should have received it in the beginning.

The crisis comes in attempting to reconcile the multiple discrepancies and determine what is factual - if that is even feasible. Alot of wisdom in your advice (which I am certain was the intent).
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
With the plethora of new information available, it is a certainty there are many like myself who are troubled to find the truth is intentionally withheld. Contrary to Nicholson's famous line, we can handle the truth. And should have received it in the beginning.
Does this mean you are finally ready to come clean?

One of the best faith-promoting lies I ever heard was that story about the black choir director. It was awesome.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Obviously, true LDS history is much different than the sanitized version I grew up with - and to think I have CG to thank for helping me see the light (jk).

In some respects it is a source of anger and frustration to consider that there was and is a certain of degree of brainwashing of LDS youth. With the plethora of new information available, it is a certainty there are many like myself who are troubled to find the truth is intentionally withheld. Contrary to Nicholson's famous line, we can handle the truth. And should have received it in the beginning.

The crisis comes in attempting to reconcile the multiple discrepancies and determine what is factual - if that is even feasible. Alot of wisdom in your advice (which I am certain was the intent).
While I can understand the anger and frustration you're describing, I'm not entirely convinced we CAN handle the truth as youth. Youth and teenagers tend to view things as black and white, either all-good or all-bad, IMO. It's not until later in life that you start to realize all of the shades in between and can handle the imperfections of a hero. It seems like that ability is a measure of maturity that all of us go through at some point.

For example, I'm not really angry at our school system for not teaching me about Sally what's-her-last-name when we were discussing Jefferson. I'm still not sure it's entirely important, as we respect him more for his intellectual ideas. But I think if I had known this as a youth, it might have cast a shadow over his legacy.

Another example--MLK. I had a seminary teacher tell me as a freshman about his philandering. For years, this stuck with me, and I overlooked the amazing contributions he made, because of this simple weakness.

What bothers me is when the Church acts like we still can't handle the truth as adults--but I'm not sure I have a better solution in handling things. As an organization, I don't think it's wise to flaunt your worst aspects.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:58 AM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

SU and Arch....your imitations of the female version of yourself are both desperate and obvious.

But entertaining I'm sure.