cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Top 5 Hip-Hop Albums

1. Digable Planets - Blowout Comb: Just simply the best hip-hop album out there. The group rhymes on this are fantastic. They break up verses like a jazz band trades solos. Great samples mixed with live instrumentation. Lyrics and production are both top notch and equally good. It is really unfortunately that it got dismissed because of its militant message.
2. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders: A lot of people would go with The Low End Theory, but I think Marauders is just a better album. I think it benefits from an increased presence of Phife on the album.
3. Reflection Eternal (Talib Kweli & DJ Hi-Tek) - Train of Thought: I am absolutely amazed that Kweli topped Mos Def's Black on Both Sides and the Black Star album (both albums must get). It is sad to see what has happened to Kweli. He is still good, but he just is not the same as the guy who made this album. He was on with his MCing ability more than any other album.
4. Count Bass D - Pre Life Crisis: a complete unknown but this album is just amazing. I think this is my favorite album for straight MCing of any hip-hop album.
5. Pharcyde - Bizzare Ride II the Pharcyde: I have come around on this album. I used to think Labcabin was the best Pharcyde album, but I have changed my mind.

Honorable mention: Common - Be, Mos Def - Black on Both Sides, Nas - Illmatic.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
1. Digable Planets - Blowout Comb: Just simply the best hip-hop album out there. The group rhymes on this are fantastic. They break up verses like a jazz band trades solos. Great samples mixed with live instrumentation. Lyrics and production are both top notch and equally good. It is really unfortunately that it got dismissed because of its militant message.
2. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders: A lot of people would go with The Low End Theory, but I think Marauders is just a better album. I think it benefits from an increased presence of Phife on the album.
3. Reflection Eternal (Talib Kweli & DJ Hi-Tek) - Train of Thought: I am absolutely amazed that Kweli topped Mos Def's Black on Both Sides and the Black Star album (both albums must get). It is sad to see what has happened to Kweli. He is still good, but he just is not the same as the guy who made this album. He was on with his MCing ability more than any other album.
4. Count Bass D - Pre Life Crisis: a complete unknown but this album is just amazing. I think this is my favorite album for straight MCing of any hip-hop album.
5. Pharcyde - Bizzare Ride II the Pharcyde: I have come around on this album. I used to think Labcabin was the best Pharcyde album, but I have changed my mind.

Honorable mention: Common - Be, Mos Def - Black on Both Sides, Nas - Illmatic.
is this your take of ALL time? It cannot possibly be.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Give him a break. He's a white boy living in Utah.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
mpfunk

Quote:
Yes it is of all time. I guess I just don't really get into the ones that everyone wants to claims are the best. I realize that Count Bass D is a kind of odd addition to the list.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Give him a break. He's a white boy living in Utah.
The typical white boy living in Utah would just have a bunch of Tupac, Dre, and Jay-Z albums at the top.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The typical white boy living in Utah would just have a bunch of Tupac, Dre, and Jay-Z albums at the top.
When I was very young, I bought a Bobby Brown album, and that ruined hip-hop for me. I went back to New Order and GNR.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Yo, Bumrush The Show
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:43 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Yes it is of all time. I guess I just don't really get into the ones that everyone wants to claims are the best. I realize that Count Bass D is a kind of odd addition to the list.
I just dont get how there could be no Public Enemy (Nation of Millions) or Run DMC......seriously, no Raising Hell, no hip hop to the masses.

Both of those albums have influenced countless hip hop and rap artists who followed.

Run DMC made rap a commercially viable music medium and also were partially responsible for the resurgence of Aerosmith (Steven Tyler even admits this).

Public Enemy politicized rap and took it from whimsical rhymes and beats to a potent social medium that many others patterned their music after.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-15-2007, 10:43 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
When I was very young, I bought a Bobby Brown album, and that ruined hip-hop for me. I went back to New Order and GNR.
that was your prerogative.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
mpfunk

Quote:
I just dont get how there could be no Public Enemy (Nation of Millions) or Run DMC......seriously, no Raising Hell, no hip hop to the masses.

Both of those albums have influenced countless hip hop and rap artists who followed.

Run DMC made rap a commercially viable music medium and also were partially responsible for the resurgence of Aerosmith (Steven Tyler even admits this).

Public Enemy politicized rap and took it from whimsical rhymes and beats to a potent social medium that many others patterned their music after.

Run DMC is great for their influence, but it just isn't as good as the later stuff. My taste in hip-hop really comes from its jazz roots, so I like the artists that fuse jazz into the mix. You have a point with Public Enemy.