cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #11
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather
There is so much involved with the rivalry that really goes against reason that it is hard to compare it fairly to other rivalries...and it is mostly due to the religious aspects of the fan bases and student body.

I guess the new contest in the rivalry has become pointing out who is more obsessed...
Drum-
I just reread what I wrote and some of it was a bit overwrought. Especially when I said the Utes had a "massive" inferiority complex. Massive was not a good choice of word. Nor was the unqualified nature of branding Utes. Clearly many Yewts do not care.

However, my own statistically insignificant interactions with Utes have led me to believe that there is an inferiority complex that comes with being second fiddle. I say second fiddle not out of disrespect for the institution, because I believe that they are quite similar institutions, or even the level of the sports programs, because Utah's programs have in many respects been the envy of the Cougs. Rather I think the second fiddle comes from perception of the public and of the community outside of Utah. I do not have a empirical basis for this opinion, that BYU commands more attention than does Utah, in state and out, other than attendance figures and TV ratings, but I beleive that it is mostly true. ( I do think that eventually the Utes will win over the state of Utah, because of demographics).

I then make the logical jump toward saying that public perception of inferiority or equality, can make any institution cranky. I base this in part on my experiences at my own alma mater, the University of Alabama, and our little ol' cow college rival, Auburn. The academic and reputational element of the rivalry probably drives that rivalry as much as the sports rivalry.

Finally, I think that the Utes might be a bit more rabidly anit-Coug because we are (and I use the royal we, as a former student, non-graduate) a bunch of carpet bagging, arrogant, goody goodies, with very little nice to say about the state of Utah. As a native Provoan I got extremely tired of the rants about the state from out of state BYU students, and I can only imagine how this might make others, with a more intense connection to Utah feel.

All of this of course, is conjecture, but then again I suppose that it is not possible to actually prove who is more obsessed with whom. Personally I always root for the Yewts when they are not playing the Cougars. My dream scenario would be to beat them as an undefeated team every season.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #12
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Seriously you ever notice how many threads about BYU is started over on Utefans?

A lot.

And they always complain about BYU fans living in the past, yet it's always Utah fans who're bringing it up and talking about it.

You'd think after a decade of mostly kicking our ass in both major sports that they'd get over the inferiority complex by now.
The last week, every time I visit cougarboard, I am reminded about this post as I read post after post about Utah. lol.