cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Writer's Guild strike

Anyone else following this closely? Eric Snider reports shows like The Office and 24 will go into reruns as early as two weeks from now.

http://www.ericdsnider.com/blog/2007...lypse-deepens/

This could have a major impact on TV networks... they'll lose viewers after a few weeks of reruns during this season.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I dont know what is more shocking and embarassing....that you read Eric Snider at all.....or that you read Eric Snider for actual news.

To answer your question, the Strike coverage in SoCal is like the fire coverage. It is the lead news story and updates are given all the time, simply because it is much larger than seing episodes of the office. No filming means everyone in the industry is out of work....caterers, security guards, make up artists, grips, stange hands, runners, costumers, etc....The industry touches almost everything down here, so it is big news.

What does Eric Snider say about the war in Iraq or the 2008 Elections?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I don't read him for news... he just has a blog I read every once in a while, and he happened to cover a news item today.

But thanks for the slam, Triplet. You're catching on to the culture over here.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I don't read him for news... he just has a blog I read every once in a while, and he happened to cover a news item today.

But thanks for the slam, Triplet. You're catching on to the culture over here.
I intercourse with everyone equally and without discrimination. I am the Fresno State of slammers....."anyone, anytime, anywhere."

When you cite Eric Snider as your news source for the potentially impactful issue of lost Office episodes, you give me good material to work with.

So do you just read Eric Snider or do you also check out Weird Al's blog before you report on the news?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #5
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I actually read Snider's stuff sometimes. He can be pretty funny when he reviews poor movies. His expose of press junkets was good stuff too.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:00 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm curious why anyone who is not in that industry should care about the writers strike.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm curious why anyone who is not in that industry should care about the writers strike.
My DVR is only set to record new episodes.

but seriously, I don't care that much, and feel like the writers have a legit complaint. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out but I'm not actively following the story.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:04 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Two reasons.

One, Mostly because if you watch TV, it will likely affect your shows. All shows are unionized, so if you watch TV the requires writing (news, sports, and reality excepted), that means no new shows are being written. Most shows are only filmed, or "in the can," a few weeks in advance. This means that shows will start going to re-runs soon. Live shows like Leno and Conan are already in re-runs.

Second, as I stated above, locally in SoCal, it puts thousands of people out of work....not rich, grubby Hollywood types....all the local business that rely on the industry to survive. Even small mom and pops in hollywood like dry cleaners that have their entire business from a nearby studio will go out of business if the strike lingers for too long. Last time, the strike lasted 22 weeks. Ouch.

Third, Eric Snider thinks it is important. Good enough for me.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:07 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
My DVR is only set to record new episodes.

but seriously, I don't care that much, and feel like the writers have a legit complaint. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out but I'm not actively following the story.
What little I've hears, I agree that the writers have a good reason for it. I guess I'm just in the minority when it comes to fretting about it, as most of what I watch isn't written by those who are on strike.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
What little I've hears, I agree that the writers have a good reason for it. I guess I'm just in the minority when it comes to fretting about it, as most of what I watch isn't written by those who are on strike.
I hate it because it causes annoying traffic on the West side and in Hollywood. Picketers and union busters and media hanging out all over the place.

Fortunately for me, my favorite shows are unaffected: So You Think You Can Dance, Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader?, and The Biggest Loser.