cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I hate the Eastern Conference

I've only got a few minutes here and there. But who wants to watch these boring slugfests? All the bricks.

What a contrast the Western Conference is. Fast-paced, people actually making jumpers. The beautiful game.

As far as I concerned, the Mavs vs Suns is the only championship that means anything.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

But there's always Wade. I could watch him play all day. No boring in him, no siree.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:04 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
But there's always Wade. I could watch him play all day. No boring in him, no siree.
I was talking about basketball Lingo. Not man-crushes.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Man crushes aside, Wade is a lot of fun to watch. After last nights game, there should be no question as to whose team the Heat is.

I worry about his longevity in the league. Actually I don't worry about it, but I question how long his body is going to hold up. He seems to find himself airborn and seemingly out of control quite often. There were probably half a dozen times last night alone that I found myself wondering if he was going to get up and keep playing.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
Man crushes aside, Wade is a lot of fun to watch. After last nights game, there should be no question as to whose team the Heat is.

I worry about his longevity in the league. Actually I don't worry about it, but I question how long his body is going to hold up. He seems to find himself airborn and seemingly out of control quite often. There were probably half a dozen times last night alone that I found myself wondering if he was going to get up and keep playing.

I have thought the exact same thing about Wade a dozen times. He sure is fun to watch, though!

The Heat look pretty unstoppable right now. I don't see either Dallas or Phoenix being able to handle a steady diet of Shaq and Wade, and I don't think Detroit can come back from 3-1.

This would be the ultimate insult to Kobe, me thinks! Shaq leaves and wins a title in Miami (who has never been in real competition for a title until he arrived). The Lakers go down the crapper.

Looks like Mitch Kupchek backed the wrong horse there, doesn't it!
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
This would be the ultimate insult to Kobe, me thinks! Shaq leaves and wins a title in Miami (who has never been in real competition for a title until he arrived). The Lakers go down the crapper.

Looks like Mitch Kupchek backed the wrong horse there, doesn't it!
Amen and amen. I love it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
Fish

Fish is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to disagree on that one. The Lakers kept the right player of the two. Shaq has a better team around him than Kobe does… that is why the Heat are winning. After Kobe and Odom who do the Lakers have? Smush? George? Kwame? Walton?
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I have to disagree on that one. The Lakers kept the right player of the two. Shaq has a better team around him than Kobe does… that is why the Heat are winning. After Kobe and Odom who do the Lakers have? Smush? George? Kwame? Walton?
True, but you have to ask yourself: why does LA not have any more talent around Kobe? Could it be because many in the NBA find him insufferable to play with and don't want to go to LA to be told they are second fiddle?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
Fish

Fish is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope... I don't think that is it. They are in the middle of some "rebuilding" years. With, or without, Shaq they were headed in that direction with the loss of Malone, Payton, Butler and Fisher. The fact they made the playoffs shows how good Kobe is... he carried an average team to the playoffs. (tough to say since I don't like Kobe)

But, I think the Lakers need to land either a quality PF or C during the offseason in order to be more competitive. Smush will be a top 10 PG next year so they should be okay there. Kwame showed some potential late in the season... if he can keep that up the Lakers will be headed in the right direction.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:05 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Nope... I don't think that is it. They are in the middle of some "rebuilding" years. With, or without, Shaq they were headed in that direction with the loss of Malone, Payton, Butler and Fisher. The fact they made the playoffs shows how good Kobe is... he carried an average team to the playoffs. (tough to say since I don't like Kobe)

But, I think the Lakers need to land either a quality PF or C during the offseason in order to be more competitive. Smush will be a top 10 PG next year so they should be okay there. Kwame showed some potential late in the season... if he can keep that up the Lakers will be headed in the right direction.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Kobe isn't a phenomenal talent. He remains one of the very best players in the NBA today. The question is if he can coexist on a team with other great players and if he can lift a team the way great players do. I am not convinced that he can.

Kobe seems too intent on showing everyone just how valuable he is to the team. It seems like every time he is criticized, he stops shooting and stops caring about winning in favor of proving a point. He walks away with 6 points and 2 assists. I don't get it at all.

Yes, Payton left. So did Shaq. So did Jackson for a while. Why? Each of them gave Kobe as the reason (which apparently Jackson has now retracted). I can't imagine it is easy to attract top talent to LA when the top talent in the league has already been in LA and left because of Kobe. They are left with trying to build through the draft.

What was Miami when Shaq first arrived? Certainly not much better than LA at the same time. Where is Miami now? Looking pretty good. Shaq MAY not be a better player than Kobe (though I still think he is), but he appears to be a far better teammate than Kobe, and that is why Miami is about to go to the Finals while Kobe watches from home.