cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2006, 08:38 AM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: has cougarguard discussion replaced sunday school/priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
'....and find that abstaining is more fulfulling than participation....
A good and wise friend once told me that you reach a certain point in the church where your presence in church is sometimes needed more for other people than it is for yourself.
Yes, and about the time I feel that way, something smacks me upside the head and I realize I need to be there for me more than for someone else. Odd how that works out.

I haven't attended GD or PM for a few months now. I'm the only clerk in a struggling French ward and we just introduced MLS. I'm fairly busy trying to keep everything in order so that I'm not spending all day at the Church. Also, my French isn't good enough to participate in the lessons at the level I would like, so it seems a little fruitless at this point. Given the language barrier, Sacrament Meeting is interesting for the family. My daughter does her Seminary homework and the other kids occupy themselves with books, pencils, and paper. Mrs. myboynoah and I try to listen and follow the speakers but after about 5 minutes we are off in lala land someplace, thinking about whatever (I know she's thinking about sharing time in "la Primaire").

Are we wasting our time? Certainly not. This is our religious community and we love these people. We need them and I hope they need us. I am inspired by their faith and sacrifice and hope our experience in functioning church units can add to making this thing work here.

It isn't always fun and can be very frustrating at times, but we are happy that through "blind obedience" we decided to tough it out.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: has cougarguard discussion replaced sunday school/priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
Yes, and about the time I feel that way, something smacks me upside the head and I realize I need to be there for me more than for someone else. Odd how that works out.
Neither my friend nor I meant to say that when you reach that point, you don't need to be there for yourself. Only that the service isn't always "what can I get out of this meeting/lesson/talk?" but "what can I do to help?". I'm sure we've all had many Sundays that weren't all that spiritually uplifiting or enlightening for ourselves. But perhaps we are able to make it so for somebody else.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote