cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Profiling in Utah County

In places like Utah County and Bountiful City I firmly believe profiling is going on. If you have a tatoo, beard, long hair, piercings, a teenager, non-white skin you are going to be profiled.

I don't know if you can call it racism. A tatooed, bearded, long haired white guy is as likely to get the once over from the cops as a person of color.

In a society that could judge someone's character based on whether they wear a white shirt to church or not, is this any surprise to anyone.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been profiled in Texas, but never in Utah.

Not sure why.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My wife who is sort of ethnic looking, hasn't been profiled either.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My wife who is sort of ethnic looking, hasn't been profiled either.

Why would she have been profiled. She looks like the typical gal in Texas and Utah County.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
In places like Utah County and Bountiful City I firmly believe profiling is going on. If you have a tatoo, beard, long hair, piercings, a teenager, non-white skin you are going to be profiled.

I don't know if you can call it racism. A tatooed, bearded, long haired white guy is as likely to get the once over from the cops as a person of color.

In a society that could judge someone's character based on whether they wear a white shirt to church or not, is this any surprise to anyone.
This sounds alot like how my uncle, who was a police officer in San Jose, CA for two decades, describes "profiling."
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Why would she have been profiled. She looks like the typical gal in Texas and Utah County.
Yup. She was homecoming queen at the U. I don't know why she condescended to marry someone as ugly as me.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
This sounds alot like how my uncle, who was a police officer in San Jose, CA for two decades, describes "profiling."
I really don't know the answer to this. Can they get away with it as easy in other juristictions, such as San Jose. I would think it would be tougher to do even in SLC than say Ut. County or Bountiful.

I have heard from pretty reliable sources that in Bountiful and St. George people who fit a certain profile are routinely pulled over on false pretenses in order to check out the occupants of the vehicle. My guess is it is the same in Utah County.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I really don't know the answer to this. Can they get away with it as easy in other juristictions, such as San Jose. I would think it would be tougher to do even in SLC than say Ut. County or Bountiful.

I have heard from pretty reliable sources that in Bountiful and St. George people who fit a certain profile are routinely pulled over on false pretenses in order to check out the occupants of the vehicle. My guess is it is the same in Utah County.
I think they can, but the profile is more refined. A male minority with tatoos won't necessarily get hassled, but if he's thumping music and/or showing gang signs in his dress (everything tilted to the left or right, for example), he'll find himself being pulled over alot.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #9
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm very ethnic looking. But once in Provo a cop pulled me over one evening for running a a stop sign. As soon as he saw my BYU ID he decided to give me a warning instead of a citation "to save you some money."
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote