cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This is why I want to keep the tourny in Vegas

BYU needs to learn to win in that environment. Until then they will remain pussies lacking the mental toughness needed to win on a national stage. Vegas showed us the heart of Jimmer and Sister Cummard.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
BYU needs to learn to win in that environment. Until then they will remain pussies lacking the mental toughness needed to win on a national stage. Vegas showed us the heart of Jimmer and Sister Cummard.
If I could take issues with Rose's decisions this past year it would probably be based upon taking more lumps early with Jimmer at the PG. I could understand not wanting to take those lumps with Collinsworth as he was mission bound.

Jimmer might end up being the most beloved Cougar hoopster of you and I since "The Intangible" brought his girth and big heart to the hardwoods. Can we get Jimmer to wear Jake's number and forego socks in favor of just taping up his stumpy feet before cramming them into a high top?

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...html?id=626741

What if Jake had Trent's body? Oh the injustice of life!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
It's not fair to give Vegas the home court in the tournament. Is money more important than fair competition? Than the kids? Need I say more? (Personally, I detest Vegas so don't say it's a great event for the fans; say that if it's in San Francisco, not Vegas. All due respect to Archaea.)

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not a bad point, actually.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Two to three games at the end of the season isn't going to suddenly teach that. You would give up a neutral tourney site for that?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Two to three games at the end of the season isn't going to suddenly teach that. You would give up a neutral tourney site for that?
I don't think it would teach that; only that it would prove it. A team that can beat a good/decent UNLV team in a championship game on their home floor is probably more likely to win a 1st round game in the NCAAs. Maybe even give them some confidence going in.

All the same, I'd still prefer not to give them the advantage, but I see noah's point.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Jimmer might end up being the most beloved Cougar hoopster of you and I since "The Intangible" brought his girth and big heart to the hardwoods. Can we get Jimmer to wear Jake's number and forego socks in favor of just taping up his stumpy feet before cramming them into a high top?

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...html?id=626741
That was some fine writing.

Jimmer is the "Tangible" to Jake's "Intangible." They are soulmates in that neither were/are intimidated in the face of superior talent and hence, find/found a way to "git 'er done." Jimmer's advantage is that his brain is totally wired for the court. He is the Ty Detmer of BYU Basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
What if Jake had Trent's body? Oh the injustice of life!
How could a loving God let this happen?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't think it would teach that; only that it would prove it. A team that can beat a good/decent UNLV team in a championship game on their home floor is probably more likely to win a 1st round game in the NCAAs. Maybe even give them some confidence going in.

All the same, I'd still prefer not to give them the advantage, but I see noah's point.
I interpreted Noah saying "BYU needs to learn to win in that environment" to mean teaching them something.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default It definitely isn't fair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It's not fair to give Vegas the home court in the tournament. Is money more important than fair competition? Than the kids? Need I say more? (Personally, I detest Vegas so don't say it's a great event for the fans; say that if it's in San Francisco, not Vegas. All due respect to Archaea.)
Does the MWC really make more money in Vegas vs. the ESA? since the T&M didn't sell out this year, my bet is that the ESA would have. Have they ever had the tourney in SLC? They always compare it to Denver. Denver isn't home town to ANY MWC team.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Seriously, the problem is that the home court advantage is vastly compounded in a tournament when players have three games in three nights. Such a tournament is perverse anyway, but the team with the home court's advantage only grows as the days go by and the home team is sleeping in its own bed, etc. Look what happened in the WCAC this year. They played the tournament on San Diego's home court. The WCAC had two teams demonstrably superior to San Diego that had had splendid years, Gonzaga and St. Mary's. Guess who won the tournament.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote