cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #51
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You are seeing what you want to see.
I suppose we all see what we want to see, don't we?

Obama is nothing like Reagan. Reagan believed in lower taxes and strong defense.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:47 AM   #52
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Raising taxes is not a good thing. Raising capital gains taxes is a worse idea. Why discourage investment in the economy?
Study after study shows that raising capital gains taxes won't have any negative impact on the economy, so long as the rates don't go too high (studies have shown even 25% would have almost no impact).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:50 AM   #53
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Study after study shows that raising capital gains taxes won't have any negative impact on the economy, so long as the rates don't go too high (studies have shown even 25% would have almost no impact).
I would absolutely LOVE to see these studies. General economic consensus is that capital gains taxes are only beneficial to the extent of income redistribution, but are generally a drag on long-term growth. There may be outlying economists with their own agendas, but I would put about as much stock in their opinion as I do in those economists that argue tax cuts always increase tax revenues. It's convoluted theory at best.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:07 AM   #54
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I would absolutely LOVE to see these studies. General economic consensus is that capital gains taxes are only beneficial to the extent of income redistribution, but are generally a drag on long-term growth. There may be outlying economists with their own agendas, but I would put about as much stock in their opinion as I do in those economists that argue tax cuts always increase tax revenues. It's convoluted theory at best.

Agreed. Economics is NOT Cali's long suit, and if he adheres to those outliers, it's no wonder.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:22 AM   #55
Cali Coug

Quote:
I have heard him discuss the Bush tax cuts. I haven't heard the capital gains tax increase, but it doesn't surprise me. Neither idea is wise during a recession, and shouldn't score him big economic points, if the economy is truly the focus of the election as you claim.

The Iraq war is being financed almost entirely on debt, so that will give him almost no additional revenue. Additionally, he's not going to withdraw nearly as quickly as promised--already discussed this.

So we're left with: (1) raising taxes on the rich and those who invest in the economy during a recession and (2) getting better credit card deals to pay for a massive universal health care program. I get it.
I thought you were trying to have an honest conversation. Instead it appears that when I given an example of a spending cut, you then determine that the example is all there is. Not interested in honest discussion. I get it.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:23 AM   #56
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You are seeing what you want to see.
I'd like to hear just what part of Ronald Reagan's foreign policies Obama thinks his ideas reflect.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 AM   #57
Cali Coug

Quote:
No, you are discussing whether or not there should be any capital gains tax at all (an entirely different discussion). I am discussing that the difference in the market between a 15% cap gains tax and a 20% cap gains tax (for example) is negligible at best.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:36 AM   #58
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'd like to hear just what part of Ronald Reagan's foreign policies Obama thinks his ideas reflect.
I would imagine being willing to speak with our enemies would be one instance he would cite. Of course, a major difference would be that Obama actually plans on preparing Iraqis for our withdrawal, whereas Reagan was more in line with the "cut and run" approach in Beirut.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:40 AM   #59
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would imagine being willing to speak with our enemies would be one instance he would cite. Of course, a major difference would be that Obama actually plans on preparing Iraqis for our withdrawal, whereas Reagan was more in line with the "cut and run" approach in Beirut.
Based on Obama's comments, I think the "cut and run" approach in Beirut is the only thing Obama might have in common with Reagan.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 03-31-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:11 AM   #60
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought you were trying to have an honest conversation. Instead it appears that when I given an example of a spending cut, you then determine that the example is all there is. Not interested in honest discussion. I get it.
OK...so the last statement was overboard. But the point stands--everyone claims they can go in and eliminate government waste. It sounds nice, it's easy and painless, and they don't have to talk about taxes. I'm just not convinced there's all that much money just up for grabs.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote