cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I have a problem with the whole empathy thing in a supreme court justice. Doesn't that go against the idea of that lady with the blindfold and the scales?
That line in that speech is going to be a big problem for her. But let's not forget that we have a president who prefers his judicial nominees to base their decisions at least in part on considerations other than the law. He said as much during the campaign, so we can't be too surprised that he's delivering on that promise.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #22
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Tex;305634]I hate to say "nonsense" yet again to one of your points, BlueK, but it's too fitting. I don't think you can find any Bush statement that can be fairly construed to indicate he believed he was "divinely called" to be president in the sense you mean it.[QUOTE]

It's not nonsense. It's well documented that he shared that idea with his personal spiritual advisor as well as with several others. It's not a secret he felt "called" to the job. I realize I'm using my own LDS terminology to describe it. If you feel qualified to determine feeling like God wanted you to be president doesn't mean the same to him than it does to me, then have at it, I suppose.

But there is no leftist spin on some of the things Mike Huckabee has said about using the Bible as his guide if he were president. I heard him say that. He said that in the debates. I realize he takes it one step further in his public speech than Bush did.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-27-2009 at 07:24 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #23
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
It's not nonsense. It's well documented that he shared that idea with his personal spiritual advisor as well as with several others. It's not a secret he felt "called" to the job. I realize I'm using my own LDS terminology to describe it.
Feeling like you received God's help in your job, and justifying every action you take in that job in the name of God, are two very different things.

You're accusing Bush of the latter, and it's ridiculous.

Quote:
And there is no leftist spin on some of the things Mike Huckabee has said about using the Bible as his guide if he were president. I heard him say that. He said that in the debates. I realize he takes it one step further in his public speech than Bush did.
Mike Huckabee was not elected president. If that ever changes, then I'll revisit my statement.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #24
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Feeling like you received God's help in your job, and justifying every action you take in that job in the name of God, are two very different things.

Mike Huckabee was not elected president. If that ever changes, then I'll revisit my statement.
Ridiculous because you say so. Neither one of us can get into his head, but there are plenty of people close to him who say his policies were a direct result of his religious beliefs. I don't think it's that extreme of an opinion. And that's why the RR annoys me. They freak out about someone like Romney. But they think mixing church and state is great when it's their church being mixed.

The only thing different about Mike Huckabee is that he takes it a step further in his speech. He won't be president, but I think they'll nominate him.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-27-2009 at 07:52 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #25
Tex

Quote:
Ridiculous because you say so. Neither one of us can get into his head, but there are plenty of people close to him who say his policies were a direct result of his religious beliefs. I don't think it's that extreme of an opinion. And that's why the RR annoys me. They freak out about someone like Romney. But they think mixing church and state is great when it's their church being mixed.
I'm simply forming my opinion on the body of Bush statements as I recall them. If you have some silver bullet quote you'd like to show me to change my mind, feel free.

Quote:
The only thing different about Mike Huckabee is that he takes it a step further in his speech. He won't be president, but I think they'll nominate him.
I highly doubt that, but what do I know. I never thought they'd nominate John McCain.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #26
BlueK

Quote:

I highly doubt that, but what do I know. I never thought they'd nominate John McCain.
If they nominate Mark Sanford I'd strongly consider voting for him.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #27
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No way he's nominated. He had his shot and flamed out. Same with Mitt.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #28
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That line in that speech is going to be a big problem for her. But let's not forget that we have a president who prefers his judicial nominees to base their decisions at least in part on considerations other than the law. He said as much during the campaign, so we can't be too surprised that he's delivering on that promise.
No, I'm not surprised. I really hate that the SCOTUS is so important nowadays. I think they wield far too much power, much more than the founding fathers intended. An unelected, largely unaccountable body of nine people essentially setting policy for this country on a variety of issues - I've gotta believe this isn't what the founders had in mind.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #29
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
No, I'm not surprised. I really hate that the SCOTUS is so important nowadays. I think they wield far too much power, much more than the founding fathers intended. An unelected, largely unaccountable body of nine people essentially setting policy for this country on a variety of issues - I've gotta believe this isn't what the founders had in mind.
I once read a proposal to amend the constitution to term limit Supreme Court justices. IIRC, the proposal called for an 18-year term rotated in round-robin fashion every 2 years in odd numbered years.

It would mean every president would get exactly 2 appointments per term, in off year elections. The terms are long enough that the odds of one party monopolizing the entire court over multiple successive presidential election cycles are minimal.

I think it's a worthwhile proposal, but I don't think it has ever gotten any traction.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #30
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

It isn't ridiculous when we are discussing Bush. Did you note that intelligence briefing memos all carried biblical scriptures on the cover of the memos, frequently with Bible artwork as well?

The guy thought he was an agent of the Lord as president.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote