cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default Oh yeah...I was SO FAR OFF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
Utah has a long history of really getting up for this game. And we just don't know very much about the qb they will have starting Saturday. BYU has done so well running the ball this season; I can just see Utah practicing like fanatics all week and suddenly BYU can't run against them to save their lives(BTW, NM only had 88 rushing yards against them last week). A couple of interceptions later BYU is down 14-0 in the first quarter.

If you glance over at CougarBoard you will find a whole lot of overconfident cougars. This scares me. I'm also afraid that the team is thinking the same way. You would think that three losses in a row to the utes would be enough to give them pause but you never know.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:59 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default That was a good call you made...

however, perhaps if BYU were to take this game more seriously, things would be different.

It's not just another game - it's a rivalry game. BYU figured that out in the 2nd half and came out of the locker room pumped and it helped them.

Now, the Cougars need to win their bowl game and for their sake, I hope Mendenhall and the team realize that a bowl game isn't just another game.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:46 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of a BYU vs. Utah rematch in a bowl game.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:28 AM   #4
realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I like the idea of a BYU vs. Utah rematch in a bowl game.

That could be very entertaining...and the bowl almost certainly would get the attendance numbers that it's looking for.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:04 AM   #5
VAX77

VAX77

Dont assume you were right on either. BYU was up for the game. They struggled in the first half, but it does not mean they were overconfident or not up for the game. You think you know but have no idea....
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:16 AM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

If BYU players don't get up for a game they lose every year, they must have an idiot coaching staff.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:47 AM   #7
realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever
If BYU players don't get up for a game they lose every year, they must have an idiot coaching staff.
It seems like the utah coaches, whoever they may be, are much better at focusing the rivalry energy(hatred?) in practice and on game day.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:56 AM   #8
realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAX77
Dont assume you were right on either. BYU was up for the game. They struggled in the first half, but it does not mean they were overconfident or not up for the game. You think you know but have no idea....
Motivations aside, I thought that my prediction for how the game went was pretty close - at least for the first half.

As far as approaching the game...year in and year out BYU has been unable to prepare and focus for this game properly, whether they are favored or not. You can attribute this to any of a number of things but what I see is a Cougar team that is consistantly unable to match the utes energy. I don't see how this can be argued.

And yes, I am guessing on this(isn't that we specialize in on these boards?), but it appears to ME to be that the utes 'one game = season' mentality v. BYU's 'just another game mentality'(which is a mistake by the team & the coaches, IMO) is a major mitigating factor.

BYU just isn't a good enough team to get away with being anything less than optimally(mentally & physically) prepared in a game like this.